Blowing smoke :( (With video)

Tsia

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I've had this exact problem before on my previous Supra, ended up replacing the turbos. Difference is, this should be a relatively cheap rebuild as they're already hybridised, so shouldn't need any machine work etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to get confirmation from you guys that the turbos are at fault :p

I'll do some further testing tomorrow and 'hopefully' it'll be a problem that I know how to get sorted.

Yeah I've had this exact problem before on my previous Supra, ended up replacing the turbos. Difference is, this should be a relatively cheap rebuild as they're already hybridised, so shouldn't need any machine work etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to get confirmation from you guys that the turbos are at fault :p

I'll do some further testing tomorrow and 'hopefully' it'll be a problem that I know how to get sorted.

Just Single it already :p

Update:

Started it today, a little smoky but not too bad. I let it idle up to temperature and the smoke was the same (quite light, not enough to worry me in cold weather.) I checked the IC pipes and there was no discernible trace of oil in there. Checked coolant, wasn't oily. Not sure what to do now besides the compression test :/

Eh, I'd have to do it on a budget, which is a problem. I'm pricing it up at the minute and if it's in the realms of stupid, I won't bother. :p

Update:

Started it today, a little smoky but not too bad. I let it idle up to temperature and the smoke was the same (quite light, not enough to worry me in cold weather.) I checked the IC pipes and there was no discernible trace of oil in there. Checked coolant, wasn't oily. Not sure what to do now besides the compression test :/

I still reckon its the Oil seals tbh mate, is it smoking when you let your foot off after you come off boost?

and yeah single is alot of money, could always look to pick up good parts second hand on the forum to reduce some of the cost slightly :)

I still reckon its the Oil seals tbh mate, is it smoking when you let your foot off after you come off boost?

and yeah single is alot of money, could always look to pick up good parts second hand on the forum to reduce some of the cost slightly :)

If everything is alright then you should be able to Single for roughly £4K with new kit. If your interested then PM me . It would only be a small single though circa 550bhp

If everything is alright then you should be able to Single for roughly £4K with new kit. If your interested then PM me . It would only be a small single though circa 550bhp

If the budget is tight I would get hybrids maybe even look at those ones Whifblitz are currently doing , 4k for a single conversion is cutting corners especially new kit

If you fit it yourself then I believe it can be done

It's not just the turbo kit though ,ecu+ mapping ,injectors, fuel pump, jspec brakes are not up to 550hp if driven hard,supporting clutch if a manual . I did mine all myself not sure what new turbo kit your thinking off ? but when I was looking most of the full conversion turbo kits were 2800-3500 depending on turbo spec and waste gate and 3" or 4" dp/mp + a decent set of injectors £800 that's nearly 4k already , only the xs single kits were cheaper not sure what else is on the market now though .

Still have both cats? If it is the turbo seals then stick the cats back on for now until you're ready to get your turbos done, the increase in backpressure from the cats being on will quite likely stop them leaking for now. Did with mine until i was ready to go single.

Looks steamy to me too though, but it's difficult to tell from that vid.

I'm getting a compression & leakdown test done tomorrow, but my gut feeling is exhaust side turbo oil seal. I'll probably be sticking with twins as I'm not in a great place to throw stacks of cash at anything at the minute.

I did go for a drive in it today (had to nip to post office) and other than the usual cold weather condensation at start up and for the first few minutes, there wasn't any smoke/steam at all. Very strange. It was around a 10 minute drive, so barely enough time to heat up I'll admit.

Will post the results of the tests tomorrow! /fingerscrossed/

It's not just the turbo kit though ,ecu+ mapping ,injectors, fuel pump, jspec brakes are not up to 550hp if driven hard,supporting clutch if a manual . I did mine all myself not sure what new turbo kit your thinking off ? but when I was looking most of the full conversion turbo kits were 2800-3500 depending on turbo spec and waste gate and 3" or 4" dp/mp + a decent set of injectors £800 that's nearly 4k already , only the xs single kits were cheaper not sure what else is on the market now though .

Using used parts I could get the price down quite a lot, but I'm still not sure it's going to be viable for me. It's got UK brakes already & it's an A340E auto, so I'd have very few worries on those parts at least.