Japfest 2014 - Saturday 10th May 2014 @ Castle Combe Circuit

lui

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might have a ticket and pass going spare as I my battery won't hold its Charge and I've missed my MOT slot so unless one becomes available tomorrow I won't be taking my Supra :(

Just text you Kev. My pass hasn't turned up. Me and Lui have a couple of ideas on solutions, but if you aren't going, would solve the problem much easier ;)

So. This weekend involved my eldest throwing up in the back of the Supra, heavy wind, loads of rain, grounding the car out on a lane that was more like a footpath, with holes, got into the show, car was covered in sh*t, cracked my bumper grounding out on above lane, and then I was trapped and couldn't get my car out. That said, I may aswell have brought my Focus, as nobody could see my car, being hidden behind a blue one on parked across my car, about 2ft away from the front of my car on the stand. Managed to squeeze out with thanks to young master Bailey. So thanks for that, whoevers it was. Not only was it a waste of time my car being there, after a few of us shuffled our cars around to make more room for people to park on the stand, I needed to move my car forwards so that I could open the doors enough to get my kids in the back. 1 of which being 8 months old and having to be lifted into his seat!! Lots of struggling to get them in, both me and the wife aswell as the kids got p*ss wet through when it rained hard as we couldn't just jump in the car! I could have moved it forward, had I not been blocked in ALL day!

Think the highlights were my stainless trims from Listy, thankyou muchly, and the drive home with Chris and John Bailey.

Not sure I can ever be arsed to do Japfest again. It was nice meeting a few more of you though. Thanks to Lui for organising it.

Edited by Benjy (see edit history)

It wasn't that bad. It's all about seeing the drift cars and the crazy ott ones for me. Not every car will get noticed. I barely looked at any of the other clubs cars. Just the show cars. I'm sure everyone else there was the same. Mine only ever got looked at because the bumper was hanging off. Just something to deal with, not cry about ha! Make it a show car if you're that bothered :)

Well I saw it and I even made a video recording of it :) you'll be happy to know the blue one isn't in the whole recording either. Granted the space was pretty crap. Good location in respects to the track etc but better off on the other side of the path. But despite the miss haps (I feel your pain on the bumper side of life) and the weather it was still good there. Or at least the drifting was good

Can see where Ben's coming from to be fair. I would be pissed if my car was blocked in and from clear view. The space we had was pretty small compared to previous years , but had a good amount of foot traffic going by.

Few things did get a bit annoying and the trek across narrow lanes covered in mud to stop and block a road for the rest of the convoy was not the best of things, but nothing ever goes to plan and we all survived so all is well.

Touch harsh criticising the club stand. Lui has to work with what he is given and puts a lot of effort in to making this event really big. He has to fit in all the cars in the space he gets and that means putting them close together.

Organising an event for 50 people along with a convoy is not easy, I should know I have done enough of them. I'm sure Lui would be more than happy to hand over the organisation to somebody else next year if anybody wants to volunteer...anybody?

I think Lui needs a big hand, and if you have complaints I would certainly go direct to Japfest organisers with them.

He has to fit in all the cars in the space he gets and that means putting them close together.

Nobody fitted anyone anywhere mate. We all shuffled up to accomodate the late comers. Lui left around 12 and made another space. The car in question was literally dumped. We were all lined up on a verge at a slight angle, which got more extreme as the verge thinned, with 1 Supra parked length ways across mine. And the owner I didn't see all day! I know we need to be close, but when the heavens opened it'd have been easy had I been able to roll forwad 6ft.

I'm not blaming Lui, I even won't slap him for my bumper clouting the road on his convoy... ;) Japfest allocated quite long cars a crap patch of grass.

Reference our convoy, I apologise for the route, the usual turning for Castle Combe was closed due to the horse trials, hence the horrible little lane.

The turnout in the end was pretty poor for it too, going from 14 listed in the thread, to just 8. The only one who actually let me know they weren't bringing the Supra was Kev.O. The other 5 were just no shows :(

How it was "p**s poor" convoy I'm not sure. We all met at the services, and we all arrived at Combe together, which to me makes it a successful convoy in my opinion. The convoy did get split at one point, but when Nevins text me to let me know, we all got together again.

I don't know if it was the speed we were going that wasn't good enough for people, but I'm quite content with my clean licence (there were at least 3 unmarked cars on the M4 on the way by the way, and those were just the ones I clocked)

Anyway, I did my job getting everyone to Combe together, so that's good enough for me. I enjoyed seeing the Supras all together, hopefully I'm not the only one.

As for the Club Stand location, it was better than Quarry Corner imo. Much closer to the trade stands and it was a decent size.

The problem we did have, was that around 6 cars (a bunch of hondas and an MR2) stole some of our stand space at the far end. If they weren't there, everyone could have fitted in fine. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until around 2pm.

I do however agree that the other side of the path would have been better.

I'll post my pictures and the like when I get home tomorrow night.

As for the Club Stand location, it was better than Quarry Corner imo. Much closer to the trade stands and it was a decent size.

The problem we did have, was that around 6 cars (a bunch of hondas and an MR2) stole some of our stand space at the far end. If they weren't there, everyone could have fitted in fine. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until around 2pm.

I do however agree that the other side of the path would have been better.

Might be worth mentioning this to Japfest. Had someone noticed sooner, I'd have asked them to move. Considering we technically all paid to have a space, giving 6 of those up is a little bit of a mickey take. That's £120 of space.

I noticed GTROC had a load of space that they didn't use...

Might be worth mentioning this to Japfest. Had someone noticed sooner, I'd have asked them to move. Considering we technically all paid to have a space, giving 6 of those up is a little bit of a mickey take. That's £120 of space.

I noticed GTROC had a load of space that they didn't use...

I'll PM Lui about it. See what he says.