The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diminishing NCD

Shane

Just had my renewal notice through from CCI and notice that my NCD is shown as 5 years, strange as I had max (7 I think) when I was with Sky and then when I went through Mark Richard I think I had the same but when I went with CCI apparently they class max as 5 years and are not interested in anything over 5. But their renewal notice shows 5 years and its that I would need to use as proof of no claims when getting prices this time round. Not happy, is there anything I can do?

That's crap budn won't it be on a database ?

Well the reason I started getting concerned was that I have just taken a call from "call connect" I think who are some tele broker type service who had my details from last year when they quoted me and I thought I would let them quote again and he was the one who said I effectively only had 5 years proof now and thats the amount he had to use. So going from that I am guessing he didnt have access to any ncd database if one does exist.

They will always want written proof from your last insurer so ask CCI for written confirmation of the real number of years you have.

I dont have the CCI renewal stuf with me at work just now, but the renewal notice doc they gave me deffinitely said 5 years. Will call them in the morning to see what they say, but suspect they will simply say they consider max to be 5. I will let you know what happens.

I would badger CCI for written confirmation of the actual number of years. I've done this with a different insurer in the past, and once I explained the situation they provided the written proof to me on their headed paper. CCI know what your NCD years were when you joined them, and they also know how many accidents (I'm guessing none) you've claimed for whilst you've been with them, so they have all the info. Pester them if they give you the "computer says no" routine.

mellonman: I think 6, 7, sometimes 8 or 9 years' NCD are considered by insurers, but I don't know how much difference it makes to the price, if any. Motor insurance pricing models make MPs' expenses claims look transparent!

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

thats what i thought 5 years is the max anyway,

so if you had 10 year or 5 years the insurance will be the same price thats what i thought is that not correct?

If I go with them yes, but if I want to take my NCD to another insurer no as the renewal notice says I have 5 years, other insures take 7, 8 or 9 years as max it seems.

I would badger CCI for written confirmation of the actual number of years. I've done this with a different insurer in the past, and once I explained the situation they provided the written proof to me on their headed paper. CCI know what your NCD years were when you joined them, and they also know how many accidents (I'm guessing none) you've claimed for whilst you've been with them, so they have all the info. Pester them if they give you the "computer says no" routine.

Yes I will do. I need to see if I have the renewal from either Sky or Mark Richards still at home as that will clearly show what I had previously. Intend to speak to Sky anyhow and they are meant to be calling me back at lunchtime so will be interesting to get their take on the situation, especially as I was with them previously.

mellonman: I think 6, 7, sometimes 8 or 9 years' NCD are considered by insurers, but I don't know how much difference it makes to the price, if any. Motor insurance pricing models make MPs' expenses claims look transparent!

My advice would be the same too, I am sure others take into account 8 years.

Well just spoke to Sky and their underwriters will accept 9 years NCD so long as I get a letter from CCI stating what I went there with. Spoke to Luke who was very helpful and he said they have done this before and if required they can request the letter.

Sky's quote came in slightly better than the CCI renewal and with a low excess, but without the paperwork in front of me now I am not 100% sure what my excess is with CCI. TBH, I will probably move from CCI anyhow as I dont like this NCD thing with them as I will always have to go through this if I ever want to move to another company and dont see why I should have to.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Just an update on this. Finally got round to calling CCI this morning and they say they will put in writing what NCD I took to them + the one year I have been with them and have just renewed with Sky. £500 for the year, low excess, mods declared on a BPU, and an old fart to boot. £70 better than the CCI renewal and £350 lower excess than CCI. May have got it slightly cheaper if shopped around but shopping around becomes such a pain when having to declare mods.

shane the most there system shows is 5 yrs although in your policy notes it will say the exact number mate nothing to worry about

- - - Updated - - -

pps horses for courses i regard competition over sky anyday[/quote

Hmm not sure that is the case, but they assured me that when my cover withcomes to an end they will write to me with the full amount.

How come you prefer cci over sky? Only reason I moved was price and for the past 2 years sky couldnt get close, but this year they did and have my business. I was also impressed with their support of suprapod which I loved this year so for me it wasnt a hard decision to go back to them. But, am genuinely interested in your viewpoint,if only for future reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 2 calls to CCI and a call from Sky to remind me that I need to send the relevant docs off to finalise things, I turn up home to a letter from CCI saying I have 5 years ncd + 1! Grrrrrr. Sky did say they would speak to CCI on my behalf, may have to take them up on this. Bloody annoying.

Why can't they all just work to the same system, ******ing insurance comps

do my head in with their b/s

How about if you have 5 years ncb you get 5 years, if you have 20 you get 20, if

you have 30 you get 30 and so on

Good luck getting yours sorted

Well after 2 calls to CCI and a call from Sky to remind me that I need to send the relevant docs off to finalise things, I turn up home to a letter from CCI saying I have 5 years ncd + 1! Grrrrrr. Sky did say they would speak to CCI on my behalf, may have to take them up on this. Bloody annoying.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. I got into a row with my insurers on my company vehicle in the summer. I started with 7 years NCB, stayed with the same insurer for two years but when I came to renew I got a better deal with LV based on 9 years. When I got my docs back from Aviva it said 7 years NCB. When I asked them about it, they said they had changed their maximum NCB from 9 to 7 and therefore you couldn't have more than the maximum.

I asked them what I was meant to do with my renewal with a company who accepted 9 as the max. They couldn't get it into their thick heads that they had robbed me of two years NCB. That two years made about £100 difference to LV between having 7 years and 9 years.

After about 7 calls and a really bad argument with a manager at the broker, I got a letter stating my 9 years NCD.

Idiots, the lot of them. Except Ollie at Sky who voted for my car at JAE. He's good..!!

H.

Edited by Tyson
Remove naughty words :) (see edit history)

Why can't they all just work to the same system, ******ing insurance comps

do my head in with their b/s

How about if you have 5 years ncb you get 5 years, if you have 20 you get 20, if

you have 30 you get 30 and so on

Good luck getting yours sorted

Thanks, you wouldn't think it would be too complicated to all work from a standard system would you.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. I got into a row with my insurers on my company vehicle in the summer. I started with 7 years NCB, stayed with the same insurer for two years but when I came to renew I got a better deal with LV based on 9 years. When I got my docs back from Aviva it said 7 years NCB. When I asked them about it, they said they had changed their maximum NCB from 9 to 7 and therefore you couldn't have more than the maximum.

I asked them what I was meant to do with my renewal with a company who accepted 9 as the max. They couldn't get it into their thick heads that they had robbed me of two years NCB. That two years made about £100 difference to LV between having 7 years and 9 years.

After about 7 calls and a really bad argument with a manager at the broker, I got a letter stating my 9 years NCD.

Idiots, the lot of them. Except Ollie at Sky who voted for my car at JAE. He's good..!!

H.

Interesting that it was Aviva with you too. My policy through CCI was with Aviva and the guy I work with said he read about something simular on PH relating to a Aviva policy.

Well I called CCI again today and went through the whole thing again with them and the woman said no no you are looking at the wrong bit of the letter, it should say you have a maximum of 5 years but you came with us with 9. Err no the letter says I had 5 years NCD and also said "We can confirm that when your policy was first taken up with Aviva you had earned 5 years NCD from your previous provider". "Oh......[long pause]......I will get another letter out to you in the post today".

Lets hope so. Its a real shame as when they won my business last year they seemed really impressive and proffesional. How gullable am I.