The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on Trackday preparation please

Sheefa

May be worth checking with James which 5.1 was put in as they will all have different boiling points, the higher the better, as hard use will heat it up very quickly. The motul stuff is usually rbf 600 where 600 is the temp it boils; obviously it comes in different temps.

I would suggest changing it afterwards but if you are only doing a 20 min session you probably won't need to.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate this will be epic and you will have a great day. Im going to bring a load of stuff so just come and find a grey scooby and a black 350Z :) If you want I can come out with you for the warm up which will be manditory and show you the ropes.

When you get used to it and relax its really good fun.

Secret is not to push the pace and dont chase lap times and warm upto it over the course of the day. With it being 20 minute sessions you should be fine car wise but if you have time the RBF660 brake fluid is a good idea as the supra is a big car to stop repeatedly.

As others have said dont inflate the tyres any and bring a pump with you so yoiu can asjust on the day.

See you there, any questions just ask.

Mike

Mike that's brilliant. Appreciate that mate and I shall look out for you ;)

Greg

May be worth checking with James which 5.1 was put in as they will all have different boiling points, the higher the better, as hard use will heat it up very quickly. The motul stuff is usually rbf 600 where 600 is the temp it boils; obviously it comes in different temps.

I would suggest changing it afterwards but if you are only doing a 20 min session you probably won't need to.

I won't be doing hard runs (honest :innocent:) so I'll stick with the current fluid and bring some spare mate.

Austec did the brake fluid last so Dude will probably know the fluid they use there! :)

Not sure bud, but I think you gave me some spare fluid so will check that.

It's your first trackday - don't sweat it. It's unlikely you'll be going hard enough to trouble the car much as long as you're sensible. Don't bother wasting time setting things up or buggering about with tyre pressures - just drive and adjust if need be. It's best if the car handles like you're already accustomed to from the road.

As for car prep: fill 'er up with petrol. Thats all.

Sounds daft but check your wheel nuts on the morning and at lunchtime, they have a tendency to loosen with heat!, also i think its a good idea to watch some racing/trackday vids of the track you`re going to, just so you have an idea where the corners go, i have lots of donny if you need any links.

Sounds daft but check your wheel nuts on the morning and at lunchtime, they have a tendency to loosen with heat!, also i think its a good idea to watch some racing/trackday vids of the track you`re going to, just so you have an idea where the corners go, i have lots of donny if you need any links.

Thanks mate, yes any links would be good. North Circuit bud. :)

Engine oil level about 8 mm over the full mark, after car has stood with hot oil for about ten minutes. 38 PSI hot all round in the tyres as a start. RACE brake fluid, minimum fast road pads, unless you are intending to do an economy run. If you don't fade stock pads I'd suggest you take up knitting. Short stints, don't go chasing things that take you out of your comfort zone. DO NOT concentrate on the mirror looking at the cars behind, YOU WILL drive off the track, or nearly so. Let them find a safe place to pass and your peripheral vison will see them in the door mirrors. I can't stress that enough....

DO keep OFF the kerbs if it's wet or damp (28th December, it will be..... ;)). DO NOT allow an auto to do its own thing, ESPECIALLY if it's wet. CHECK the engine bay every session, especially oil level. Have a contingency plan as to how to get yourself and the car home, if it croaks. Hope the bar is open, don't listen to the detractors, a pint at lunchtime is absolutely fine to boost the sugar levels :) Some of my best races were won in a state where a breath test might have been marginal

Engine oil level about 8 mm over the full mark, after car has stood with hot oil for about ten minutes. 38 PSI hot all round in the tyres as a start. RACE brake fluid, minimum fast road pads, unless you are intending to do an economy run. If you don't fade stock pads I'd suggest you take up knitting. Short stints, don't go chasing things that take you out of your comfort zone. DO NOT concentrate on the mirror looking at the cars behind, YOU WILL drive off the track, or nearly so. Let them find a safe place to pass and your peripheral vison will see them in the door mirrors. I can't stress that enough....

DO keep OFF the kerbs if it's wet or damp (28th December, it will be..... ;)). DO NOT allow an auto to do its own thing, ESPECIALLY if it's wet. CHECK the engine bay every session, especially oil level. Have a contingency plan as to how to get yourself and the car home, if it croaks. Hope the bar is open, don't listen to the detractors, a pint at lunchtime is absolutely fine to boost the sugar levels :) Some of my best races were won in a state where a breath test might have been marginal

You Sir, are a legend :D

If you DO decide to play with tyre pressures forget all about 1 PSI at a time, go in 4 PSI jumps. But to be honest, if it's your first track day I'd set them all to 38 PSI hot, or cool to warm if it's wet /damp, and concentrate on learning the track and being smooth. Even at my age I can do an hour on track and keep laps within a sub second window, if the car's up to it, and not be knackered. When I first started, and I was a LOT younger, I would be over a 3 second or more window, working like hell, and fit for bed after a couple of qualifying sessions, just because I wasn't smooth, was wound up, and the adrenaline was going wild. You'll know when it comes together, you won't feel like you are doing great times, you won't be flogging the engine and the chassis, yet times will be good and in a narrow band. I remember one of my mentors saying, "Now that was a good time, put 20 of those laps together, under pressure, with no mistakes, and you'll come about 12th". He was right, one banzai lap is no use at all, you have to do at least 20, or whatever, and keep the car (and yourself... ;)) alive. On the track day, if you can string 4 laps together, being honest with yourself, and make no mistakes and hit every apex and braking point, at a fairly consistent speed, you will have done really well. It will be a LOT harder than you (and others) may think.

Don't fear the rain, you wouldn't not go to the shops in the car if it was raining. Just go a LOT slower, a LOT smoother, make every braking action, accelerator depression, and steering input as if you knew something in the linkages might break at any moment. SMOOTH an DELIBERATE. If the car goes sideways try not to over correct and get into a fishtail. Heavy cars are a bugger to get out of a fishtail. Look for escape routes at heavy braking zones, like chicanes, if the car locks up come off the brakes and get the steering back, and take the escape route (like at the chicane onto the pit straight at Donington). Once you are locked up the steering is gone, and you are in the hands of the Gods. Experience will come to play if you do a lot of days, and you'll master that REALLY hard thing, coming OFF the brakes when everything in your brain is saying "Jesus" and telling you to push the brake pedal harder. That ability will save your car and neck on the road, too, even with ABS. ABS can be a total PITA if it decides to do the WRONG thing, and proper Bosch Motorsport ABS aside, it may well do something inappropriate. Unless I am lucky enough to be driving something with proper competition ABS I turn it off, or disable it on track. There are times locking everything up IS appropriate. Damp is worse than properly wet, as the track has constantly changing grip. In the damp is where it's very hard to judge the grip, and you need to take REAL care. You will feel you are crawling, but then some hero will pass you and bin it at the next corner. Bring it home in one piece, you can pick up speed over several track days, it doesn't happen the first day, that's for sure.

Got to lunchtime, think you know the circuit? You are kidding yourself. Probably a few HUNDRED laps and you will be pretty good. A few THOUSAND and you will know the tricks, and can pull out those elusive tenths in difficult conditions. A GOOD instructor is worth every penny (yes, there are bad ones, and average ones).

Have fun, stay safe. Couple of seconds tops to bin it, weeks and weeks and a LOT of dosh to fix it....

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

If you DO decide to play with tyre pressures forget all about 1 PSI at a time, go in 4PSI jumps. But to be honest, if it's your first track day I'd set them all to 38PSI hot, or cool to warm if it's wet /damp, and concentrate on learning the track and being smooth. Even at my age I can do an hour on track and keep laps within a sub second window, if the car's up to it, and not be knackered. When I first started, and I was a LOT younger, I would be over a 3 second or more window, working like hell, and fit for bed after a couple of qualifying sessions, just because I wasn't smooth, was wound up, and the adrenaline was going wild. You'll know when it comes together, you won't fel ike you are doing great times, you won't be flogging the engine and the chassis, yet times will be good and in a narrow band. I remember one of my mentors saying, "Now that was a good time, put 20 of theose laps together, under pressure, with no mistakes, and you'll come about 12th". He was right, one banzai lap is no use at all, you have to do at least 20, or whatever, and keep the car (and yourself... ;)) alive. On the track day, if you can string 4 laps together, being honest with yourself, and make no mistakes and hit every apex and braking point, at a fairly consistent speed, you will have done really well. It will be a LOT harder than you (and others) may think.

Don't fear the rain, you wouldn't not go to the shops in the car if it was raining. Just go a LOT slower, a LOT smoother, make every braking action, accelerator depression, and steering input as if you knew something in the linkages might break at any moment. SMOOTH an DELIBERATE. If the car goes sideways try not to over correct and get into a fishtail. Heavy cars are a bugger to get out of a fishtail. Look for escape routes at heavy braking zones, like chicanes, if the car locks up come off the brakes and get the steering back, and take the escape route (like at the chicane at Donington. Once you are locked up the steering is gone, and you are in the hands of the Gods. Experience will come to play if you do a lot of days, and you'll master that really hard thing, coming OFF the brakes when everything in your brain is saying "Jesus" and telling you to push the brake pedal harder. Damp is worse than properly wet, as the track has constantly different and changing grip. In the damp is where it's very hard to judge the grip, you need to take real care. You will feel you are crawling, but then some hero will pass you and bin it at the next corner. Bring it home in one piece, you can pick up speed over several track days, it doesn't happen the first day, that's for sure.

Got to lunchtime, think you know the circuit? You are kidding yourself. Probably a few HUNDRED laps and you will be pretty good. A few THOUSAND and you will know the tricks, and can pull out those elusive tenths in difficult conditions. A GOOD instructor is worth every penny (yes, there are bad ones, and average ones).

Have fun, stay safe. Couple of seconds tops to bin it, weeks and weeks and a LOT of dosh to fix it....

Sound advice.... :)