The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bmw 6 speed getrag box conversion for 2jz

chazuk

It just isn't worthwhile on a Supra. While you may save a little on the installation, the residual value of the car will take a hammering over an equivalent V160.

If you want a 6 speed Supra, the cheapest way is to buy a 6 speed car in the first place.

For those wanting a hard top yea I agree but those that have a aero top or a na I cant see forking out 6k for another supra the cheapest option , Toyota want 6k for a new 6 spd I can't see many people buying new and I've seen a few threads now where synco's go and it's cheaper to just go buy another 2500k box now maybe it's just me but 2500k for a second box is allot of money, eventually in years to come they will probably get even more expensive you only have to look at the amount that go aboard if you look at how many left.com the numbers are decreasing .

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever get any movement on this Chaz?

No I already had a 6speed .I think the problem is it's a fair amount of R+D clutch conversion push to pull /bh adapter etc what it really needs is a main trader to get involved sell the fitting kit without box

However since I last looked there are now people selling the BH adapter for the bmw box http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-1JZ-2JZ-ENGINE-ADAPTER-PLATE-TO-BMW-M20-M50-S50-M52-M57-GEARBOX-1-JZ-2-JZ-/231679516495?hash=item35f12cdf4f

and the 350z box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-1JZ-2JZ-ENGINE-ADAPTER-PLATE-TO-NISSAN-350Z-GEARBOX-1-JZ-2-JZ-SUPRA-BMW-/171936070944?hash=item2808303d20

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

A lot of people in the USA are using kits from abc-clutch.com for the 1uz

I have one here waiting to go in mine but they also do a kit for the 2jz

http://www.abc-clutch.com/products/1-2JZ-BMW-gearbox-adapter-KIT

Have test fitted this to a spare engine and the alignment is spot on. The (Tiltan) clutch seems good quality too, will let you know how it goes.

Regarding v160 I used to have one and spent £1500 getting the 3rd gear synchro fixed. You wouldn't want to do that too many times.

A lot of people in the USA are using kits from abc-clutch.com for the 1uz

I have one here waiting to go in mine but they also do a kit for the 2jz

http://www.abc-clutch.com/products/1-2JZ-BMW-gearbox-adapter-KIT

Have test fitted this to a spare engine and the alignment is spot on. The (Tiltan) clutch seems good quality too, will let you know how it goes.

Regarding v160 I used to have one and spent £1500 getting the 3rd gear synchro fixed. You wouldn't want to do that too many times.

what gearbox you going to use mate?

• 4 months later...

i wouldnt use the ABC Clutch kits as there flywheels are unbalanced and have had so many bad reviews and damages engines.

Theres a few companies out there doing BMW Kits with Balanced Flywheels adapter plates and all you then need is the BMW Gearbox Bmw clutch kit custom prop many companies make these £200 roughly and your good to go all in price for the kit including box comes to around £1200 depending on how cheap u can find the bmw box

• 1 year later...
i wouldnt use the ABC Clutch kits as there flywheels are unbalanced and have had so many bad reviews and damages engines.

Theres a few companies out there doing BMW Kits with Balanced Flywheels adapter plates and all you then need is the BMW Gearbox Bmw clutch kit custom prop many companies make these £200 roughly and your good to go all in price for the kit including box comes to around £1200 depending on how cheap u can find the bmw box

Hi- I've done 90% of the conversion and got the clocks to run if anyone is interested...if your researching and come across this post. All you need is a standard 3 pin Toyota (Yaris...i think that's what I bought) and a signal tuner-also a little light fab'ing, PM me if you like.

• 3 months later...
Turrell26 I tried to pm says your box is full. Ive had a 420g in my supra for a while now. Just no speedo yet you said you have figured that out? Driving with no pps is killing me. I am also running a links ecu

You can get the speedo working using a hall effect speed sensor mounted on the rear wheels/diff wired up as a digital input to your link ecu.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I was going through some pages and landed on this Subject, I'm new to this forum, wanted to say hello, I'm also on the Supra Forums, and I have just completed this swap. I'm having issues with the clutch and it not disengaging, I would hate to pull the transmission off again:

You guys can can check it out, and maybe shine some light on it.

Over all the conversion went well and everything lined up.

thank you

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1074425-My-94-tt-bmw-420g-6-speed-install

So your gearbox works fine on axle stands but you cant select gears once its on the ground?

Yes, that's correct, I have been going through this issue for about 3 weeks, replaced the master twice and slave twice,

I just fabricated an 8mm rod for the slave, and nothing same issue on the ground and , I even upgraded the Master with a Land Cruiser 3/4" , since the BMW slave is 22mm and OEM Supra is 5/8'' which is about 19mm.

Once the pedal is depressed , and attempting to go into gear , I start hearing a grind, that's when I do not force it in and back out of gear.

I have bled, with 2 man version, used vacuum suction from the slave, didn't even pull any fluids out.

I have bled the master on bench .

I'm not new to this stuff, but this one is amazed me.

I have drilled a small hole in the bell housing and inspected the fork and clutch press plate with video, nothing looks wrong...

and I'm pretty sure I didn't install the clutch disc reverse, I'm 99% sure

I was also thinking maybe the billet pilot bearing that was provided by Collins adapters, need to be shortened ?

maybe the disc is not free? I cant picture it in my head how and if that would affect anything...

I've had a similar sort of issues with BMW adapter kits previously, but never as bad as gears grinding. For me the pedal just always felt really low and pretty terrible to use and sometimes running a different master/pressure plate/release bearing seemed to help.

I've never played around with a colin's bmw kit before, but I have been using a lot of PMC & ABC kits. What could be interesting is if you measure the billet pilot bearing adapter, and I can compare that verses what I get in different kits.

Do colins provide a replacement for the plastic gear fork pivot pin?