The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bmw 6 speed getrag box conversion for 2jz

chazuk

I've had a similar sort of issues with BMW adapter kits previously, but never as bad as gears grinding. For me the pedal just always felt really low and pretty terrible to use and sometimes running a different master/pressure plate/release bearing seemed to help.

I've never played around with a colin's bmw kit before, but I have been using a lot of PMC & ABC kits. What could be interesting is if you measure the billet pilot bearing adapter, and I can compare that verses what I get in different kits.

Do colins provide a replacement for the plastic gear fork pivot pin?

There is no instruction or what to look for , I just used my experience and common sense, as far as the Fork pin I bought a new one from BMW, which is plastic, I know they make metal versions, as far as the measurements of the pilot bearing, I cut it accord to where the bell housing mates the back of the engine, since it was longer out of the box, and when I asked Brett Collins about measurements, he said as long as you mate the surfaces to the adapter plate you will be fine! Meaning if the input shaft goes through I'm fine?!!, so I cut it about an inch or less, and installed the transmission.

I don't know what else to look for , and contacting Brett Collins is has not been easy, since there is a 3 hour time difference, cant get straight answers.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well check this out. This is the size of the input shaft adapter on most of the kits I've installed. On these kits there is a pilot bearing that needs to be installed in the normal place in the 2JZ crank, or on the newer kits the bearing is built into the flywheel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=224231&stc=1&d=1513900024

attachment.php?attachmentid=224232&stc=1&d=1513900024

attachment.php?attachmentid=224233&stc=1&d=1513900024

25630687_10159972603460107_390496673_n.jpg

25630617_10159972603040107_1203466821_n.jpg

25627280_10159972602980107_1615608705_n.jpg

Ok, that's GREAT info , thank you, I'm trying to find out, now, what the length was on the bearing, and what I cut it to, if you look on page # of my write up, you can see the bearing and the bronze bushing. Trying to find out info from Collins, I just texted him...

the end circumference is the same and fits in the back of the crank fine.. look a bit more chubby on the one I received.

Yeah looking at the photo in your thread, in comparison kits ive used are using the stock pilot bearing, but in theory the way your kit has it shouldn't make a difference.

I know it's a pig but the best way to find out if you have a issue with clearance is to take the box off and inspect to see any rubbing.

Also another thing worth mentioning. Kits ive used supply an extended gear fork pivot, as the pilot bearing adapter extends the input shaft of the gearbox by ~53mm, so the fork also has to sit further out from the stock location, otherwise the fork would be sitting at a diagonal and wouldn't provide enough pressure to pressure plate to release clutch.

Dunno if thats the same for the Colin's kit, but another thing that might worth checking out

Yeah looking at the photo in your thread, in comparison kits ive used are using the stock pilot bearing, but in theory the way your kit has it shouldn't make a difference.

I know it's a pig but the best way to find out if you have a issue with clearance is to take the box off and inspect to see any rubbing.

Also another thing worth mentioning. Kits ive used supply an extended gear fork pivot, as the pilot bearing adapter extends the input shaft of the gearbox by ~53mm, so the fork also has to sit further out from the stock location, otherwise the fork would be sitting at a diagonal and wouldn't provide enough pressure to pressure plate to release clutch.

Dunno if thats the same for the Colin's kit, but another thing that might worth checking out

Awesome !!! Thank you for the pointers, I really appreciate you taking the time , to brainstorm with me, it all makes, sense, wish Collins, would have told me all this, its no were mentioned.

Thank you, I'm going to pull off the trans and get back to you.

Cheers!

Spoke with Collins adapters, he wants me to take out the clutch set and show him how the clutch releases and spins using the alignment tool! And he said the length of the pilot adapter doesn't make any difference ? and the fork pivot ball has nothing to do with it ?

Spoke with Collins adapters, he wants me to take out the clutch set and show him how the clutch releases and spins using the alignment tool! And he said the length of the pilot adapter doesn't make any difference ? and the fork pivot ball has nothing to do with it ?

Presumably his kit is of a different design, so maybe those bits won't have anything to do with your situation. Interested to see what he thinks the issue might be though.

Presumably his kit is of a different design, so maybe those bits won't have anything to do with your situation. Interested to see what he thinks the issue might be though.

He is saying , the clutch is bent.. I highly doubt that... question, would the transmission itself cause all these ? the angle of the transmission bracket?

I used spacers on the bracket from Collins trans adapter to lower the transmission by about an inch , so the top of the transmission doesn't hit the tunnel and I can clear the shifter mechanism, I also used a 328I shift arm to center the shifter itself, since the M3 E46 was shorter, the driveshaft is a custom 1 piece aluminum made by Collins, fits fine and is beefy... I don't know if there is any more air bubbles in the system, I bled it of course until was solid/clear fluid coming through. The pedal is extended to the maximum length, to get the most travel. if I shorten it, it will not even go into gear.

So I randomly ran into Brett Collins's video of how to install the kit, which looks like a very recent video!, you can clearly see the pilot adapter he is using is very different than the one he provided me with. it is almost flush with the crank boss, where mine is longer, much longer and looks very different as well.

I contacted him through text and hasn't answered as of now.

I had difficultly with the transmission install, and I believe its because of the extended/longer pilot adapter.

Wanted to keep you guys in the loop, with all this holiday madness, ill be pulling of the trans after new year, I will also add/shim the pivot pin.

So I randomly ran into Brett Collins's video of how to install the kit, which looks like a very recent video!, you can clearly see the pilot adapter he is using is very different than the one he provided me with. it is almost flush with the crank boss, where mine is longer, much longer and looks very different as well.

I contacted him through text and hasn't answered as of now.

I had difficultly with the transmission install, and I believe its because of the extended/longer pilot adapter.

Wanted to keep you guys in the loop, with all this holiday madness, ill be pulling of the trans after new year, I will also add/shim the pivot pin.

What kit is it ?

Hi neilthenut:

Its the one for the 5/6 speed BMW to 2JZ engine , E39/E46m3 etc..

I know on his web he is showing the long billet adapter, but on his video I just found, ( which is posted months after I had ordered the kit) he is using a short mushroom looking version for the same transmission!

Like I mentioned in my previous posts, I have been going crazy trying to track down all the correct parts, during the initial install I realized 6-8 alen bolts were not included, that took 1 week to get, he said they forgot !, then the pilot adapter, he/they didn't know the exact measurement as to what it should be cut too, which now that I think about it, he/they didn't know what they sent? he kept telling me, you would not need to cut it, so he is thinking he sent me the short mushroom like adapter, and here I was struggling to get the trans to meet the back of the engine for 3 days.

The I realized the bronze bushing was not there, so I had to track it down from Mcmaster and find out the size and install it, so looking back at all this, I may have the incorrect parts from Collins adapters, causing all these problems and clutch engagement/dissengmt. issues.

Hi neilthenut:

Its the one for the 5/6 speed BMW to 2JZ engine , E39/E46m3 etc..

I know on his web he is showing the long billet adapter, but on his video I just found, ( which is posted months after I had ordered the kit) he is using a short mushroom looking version for the same transmission!

Like I mentioned in my previous posts, I have been going crazy trying to track down all the correct parts, during the initial install I realized 6-8 alen bolts were not included, that took 1 week to get, he said they forgot !, then the pilot adapter, he/they didn't know the exact measurement as to what it should be cut too, which now that I think about it, he/they didn't know what they sent? he kept telling me, you would not need to cut it, so he is thinking he sent me the short mushroom like adapter, and here I was struggling to get the trans to meet the back of the engine for 3 days.

The I realized the bronze bushing was not there, so I had to track it down from Mcmaster and find out the size and install it, so looking back at all this, I may have the incorrect parts from Collins adapters, causing all these problems and clutch engagement/dissengmt. issues.

Sounds a night mare. I'm about to do my

Conversion - but I have a different kit.

I've looked at read up on many of these kits , and fittings, originally went for a PMC kit, have changed to another UK supplied kit now.

im using the PMC kit, if you looking for a bolt on solution this isnt the conversion for you, i did all mine by myself, pretty straight forward if your mechanically minded but lots that could be missed

ill just post my photos basically i pieced my kit together over a period of time:

*pmc gearbox adaptor and flywheel kit - came with pilot bearing adaptor and clutch pivot extenison

*sach pressure plate

*auto ring gear

*oem supra starter spaced out 5mm away from bell housing ( burnt my first starter out as didnt disenguage :( )

*competiton clutch disc

*cut and shut bmx to w58 driveshaft - then taken to dave mac props for a proper job

*420g getrag 6speed

*bmw slave, braded clutch line

*diy clutch slave rod (longer length than then oem bmw as it wouldn't disengage, this was trial and error and took alot of faff)

*w58 gearbox mount butched to mount oem bwm gearbox mounts :too be improved but works for now

*cut and shut shifter lingakes and mounts - trial and error again, i made it threaded to ease of adjustment untill i had it where i wanted then welded it

all together as one peice.

*rewires reverse light switch

To do:

get speedo working via a propshaft magnetic sensor..? still looking into this

taller Diff as the a01b ratios are far to short for my current power (440) and i plan on 600ish build

other than that its been ok 3 weeks down the line,

gearbox input shaft does whine when clutch is engaged tho.. think i might of got unlucky with the 2nd handbox, but no crunches.

i didnt document everything but i did take some photos:

ablum here: https://imgur.com/a/sShYE

Edited by goldenvtr
adding info (see edit history)

im using the PMC kit, if you looking for a bolt on solution this isnt the conversion for you, i did all mine by myself, pretty straight forward if your mechanically minded but lots that could be missed

ill just post my photos basically i pieced my kit together over a period of time:

*pmc gearbox adaptor and flywheel kit - came with pilot bearing adaptor and clutch pivot extenison

*sach pressure plate

*auto ring gear

*oem supra starter spaced out 5mm away from bell housing ( burnt my first starter out as didnt disenguage :( )

*competiton clutch disc

*cut and shut bmx to w58 driveshaft - then taken to dave mac props for a proper job

*420g getrag 6speed

*bmw slave, braded clutch line

*diy clutch slave rod (longer length than then oem bmw as it wouldn't disengage, this was trial and error and took alot of faff)

*w58 gearbox mount butched to mount oem bwm gearbox mounts :too be improved but works for now

*cut and shut shifter lingakes and mounts - trial and error again, i made it threaded to ease of adjustment untill i had it where i wanted then welded it

all together as one peice.

*rewires reverse light switch

To do:

get speedo working via a propshaft magnetic sensor..? still looking into this

taller Diff as the a01b ratios are far to short for my current power (440) and i plan on 600ish build

other than that its been ok 3 weeks down the line,

gearbox input shaft does whine when clutch is engaged tho.. think i might of got unlucky with the 2nd handbox, but no crunches.

i didnt document everything but i did take some photos:

ablum here: https://imgur.com/a/sShYE

https://i.imgur.com/VXu15og.jpg

Thanks for sharing it all looks awesome. We are alike doing custom fabs making it all work for the joy of it

Took off the clutch set and sent it to clutch masters for inspection. I didn’t notice any damage

Can you tell me which wires I need to hook up to the 420g reverse ?

Nice. Someone here used a different box and can actually document what they did to get speedo working? A guy locally used a bm box as well and got a place to modify his cluster so it works with GPS speed somehow. Dono what they did but I would prefer using a speed sensor similar to what the oem auto or manual toyota boxes are using if I were to opt this route. Off topic, does the CD009 also use similar speed drive sensor like toyota or do we also have to make some other modification to work?

There is a guy in my area doing manual bm boxes to auto supras. You supply him the box out of an E36 M3 and he custom makes a flywheel and housing and makes the shifter work as well as mode the drive shaft from box to diff. I have felt one car done by him and the clutch felt like oem butter type.

Nice. Someone here used a different box and can actually document what they did to get speedo working? A guy locally used a bm box as well and got a place to modify his cluster so it works with GPS speed somehow. Dono what they did but I would prefer using a speed sensor similar to what the oem auto or manual toyota boxes are using if I were to opt this route. Off topic, does the CD009 also use similar speed drive sensor like toyota or do we also have to make some other modification to work?

There is a guy in my area doing manual bm boxes to auto supras. You supply him the box out of an E36 M3 and he custom makes a flywheel and housing and makes the shifter work as well as mode the drive shaft from box to diff. I have felt one car done by him and the clutch felt like oem butter type.

Everyone who I have spoken to about the speed and rpm they used the converter box by Dakota digital which I will be using as well

And yes they (Japanese )have a speed sensor drive. Which converts it into digital

Would you know which wires on the Supra harness go to the bmw reverse light ?

Everyone who I have spoken to about the speed and rpm they used the converter box by Dakota digital which I will be using as well

And yes they (Japanese )have a speed sensor drive. Which converts it into digital

Would you know which wires on the Supra harness go to the bmw reverse light ?

Should be a 2 pin connector on the gearbox that you can see. This is reverse switch. One pin is 12v switch, other pin goes straight to reverse lights or through the reverse pin on Orange 40 pin plug in passenger footwell

Should be a 2 pin connector on the gearbox that you can see. This is reverse switch. One pin is 12v switch, other pin goes straight to reverse lights or through the reverse pin on Orange 40 pin plug in passenger footwell

Isn’t there also leads on the automatic engine harness ?

I was able to fuse 2 wires together for the neutral safety switch to start the engine. Since my harness is from and auto

Isn’t there also leads on the automatic engine harness ?

I was able to fuse 2 wires together for the neutral safety switch to start the engine. Since my harness is from and auto

Yeah the required wires should exist on the auto loom. iirc yellow wire is 12v SW and red/black is reverse signal.