The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Apologies but another induction question

scott87

I say give it a go mate. Its actually quit satisfying working/modding your car. And if it doesn't work im sure it wont break the bank replacing the box.

Yer i kind of like trying new things. I did with the exhaust and am very pleased with the results.

I think if i cut a circular hole in the cover, then use fibre glass to make a cicular tube, i can then attach 'bendy' piping using a jubilee clip over the fibre glass. Then choose whether to run the pipe to the passenger or driverside of the bumper. Im thinking passenger side to reduce the chance of water running up it. What do you think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yer i kind of like trying new things. I did with the exhaust and am very pleased with the results.

I think if i cut a circular hole in the cover, then use fibre glass to make a cicular tube, i can then attach 'bendy' piping using a jubilee clip over the fibre glass. Then choose whether to run the pipe to the passenger or driverside of the bumper. Im thinking passenger side to reduce the chance of water running up it. What do you think?

You could cut it into the headlight for that aggressive look? :)

What ever is easiest for you fella. The more air you can force into the engine helps weather standard or modded. Get your self an uprated filter too like a K&N can only help with a smoother air intake.

You could cut it into the headlight for that aggressive look? :)

Definitely not. I like my headlights! :p

Im just thinking the driverside may be to short and allow water up the pipe? So may be best putting to the passenger side? Although i guess an induction kit sitting there would get wet, so i should be alright with the tube driver side below the indicator?!

- - - Updated - - -

What ever is easiest for you fella. The more air you can force into the engine helps weather standard or modded. Get your self an uprated filter too like a K&N can only help with a smoother air intake.

Just thought as i typed it, running it to passenger side would be very close to the fan etc, best to stick to having it driverside.

but is this not the same as just running the stock airbox without the cover on?

Yes but all that'd do would be to suck hot air from the engine bay, keep the stock airbox it has 2 cold air feeds, has a large filtration area and is not restrictive, it is the best option.

I wouldn't bother imo, Toyota put a lot of development into the design of the airbox and if doing what you suggested would be more effective they would have done it :)

Well technically, all the development that went in by Toyota and every other car manufacturer is to make an induction kit that compromises on every aspect.

Air intake, filtration, noise, emissions etc

I have an apexi hard pipe induction, which is enclosed and a custom vented bonnet and mine works just great

Can't see the point of changing the standard filter and box with its ambient outside air feeds on car with a standard throttle body, waste of effort and money. I did it and put the standard one back when I realised how poor the filtration was compared to stock. The low speed heat soak in summer was terrible. A pointless exercise.

Well technically, all the development that went in by Toyota and every other car manufacturer is to make an induction kit that compromises on every aspect.

Air intake, filtration, noise, emissions etc

I have an apexi hard pipe induction, which is enclosed and a custom vented bonnet and mine works just great

Wonder how much a vented bonnet improves on the intake temps etc when using an aftermarket induction?