The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this a normal 2jz-ge engine?

scott87

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance? Technically it's the same engine so you wouldn't necessarily declare it?

True but you would have to tell the DVLA of the engine swap due to the fact it now has a different engine number, this would then show up to your insurance company when they look up its info.

True but you would have to tell the DVLA of the engine swap due to the fact it now has a different engine number, this would then show up to your insurance company when they look up its info.

It doesn't effect your insurance though. I had an engine changed by my warranty when it went pop, insurance stayed the same.

I was more interested to know whether the block would give any advantages. I doubt ill buy a tt lump as they seem hard to find, so it would be going single or supercharged, so i guess my question is this block better for that or no real difference.

It doesn't effect your insurance though. I had an engine changed by my warranty when it went pop, insurance stayed the same.

I was more interested to know whether the block would give any advantages. I doubt ill buy a tt lump as they seem hard to find, so it would be going single or supercharged, so i guess my question is this block better for that or no real difference.

I never said it would ;) My response was to that of Dangerous Brain saying you don't have to tell your insurance company. Now insurance companies hate paying out, crazy I know but they will take any opportunity to not give you a penny. An engine swap is a great way to completely void your policy, regardless of whether it only puts on 1 BHP more ! It is unlikely they would check the engine number but if they do then you are well and truly up poo creek without a paddle. It would have to be exactly the same engine it came from the factory with and it isn't.

There's an after-market ECU that can be used with this VVTI 2J variant to re-map the inlet cam and to give more power at the expense of economy.

http://www.2jzgarage.com/2012/02/2jzgte-vvti-aftermarket-support/

That is for the gte? But assume the same principle still applies. Would this not be the same with the non vvti 2jz anyway, i could get an aftermarket ecu and tweak things a bit?

Can anyone tell me whether this engine would be better for a future big build or whether it will make no real difference at all? And whether it would just be the engine loom, ecu and engine that i would need to convert.

Insurance? Technically it's the same engine so you wouldn't necessarily declare it?

Insurance issues aside, it's a lot of work for what is potentially a marginally better engine. I don't know anyone that would, for example, swap an engine to gain 5hp and a small handful of torque. If you're going to do an engine swap, make it a TT.... if you can't afford it, then don't go down this route because it's the cheaper option, you'll be very disappointed with the results.

Insurance issues aside, it's a lot of work for what is potentially a marginally better engine. I don't know anyone that would, for example, swap an engine to gain 5hp and a small handful of torque. If you're going to do an engine swap, make it a TT.... if you can't afford it, then don't go down this route because it's the cheaper option, you'll be very disappointed with the results.

Tbh i wasnt planning on going the tt route, but if this engine had been a huge advancment on the one currently in my car i would have swapped and used that as the basis for my build next year.

That is for the gte? But assume the same principle still applies. Would this not be the same with the non vvti 2jz anyway, i could get an aftermarket ecu and tweak things a bit?

Can anyone tell me whether this engine would be better for a future big build or whether it will make no real difference at all? And whether it would just be the engine loom, ecu and engine that i would need to convert.

With engine, loom, sensors and ECU, the job should be plug&play, enough. :think:

The VVTI is a 2J with an extra dimension, stock ECU('s) or use one after-market ECU to manage engine and another (linked in link) to manage the cam timing, if running Auto you could use even another to control the transmission and have flappy-paddle gear-changes.

If you plan to stay N/A, you could get more out of a VVTI than a non VVTI.

I am working on an N/A 75mm t.b. conversion that would be interesting to add into the possibilities.

The VVTI's I believe had lighter con-rods and a higher rev-limit, these would be plenty strong enough for N/A, yet would need swapping for non VVTI rods to boost to more than 7psi? :think:

"Kirk" has posted some pic's and info about con-rod differences on here somewhere in a "Branners" O.P. thread.

If that's all you want, it would be simpler to fit coil-packs to your GE.

I already am, but I was just saying

Gains with the vvti setup as stock are pretty small , wouldn't be the reason I'd swap between NA engines

Having a ready to go coilpack engine would be an advantage if you don't know how to retro fit the setup ,coilpacks, ecu, cam position ect ect

Just my opinion,

With engine, loom, sensors and ECU, the job should be plug&play, enough. :think:

The VVTI is a 2J with an extra dimension, stock ECU('s) or use one after-market ECU to manage engine and another (linked in link) to manage the cam timing, if running Auto you could use even another to control the transmission and have flappy-paddle gear-changes.

I am working on an N/A 75mm t.b. conversion that would be interesting to add into the possibilities.

The VVTI's I believe had lighter con-rods and a higher rev-limit, these would be plenty strong enough for N/A, yet would need swapping for non VVTI rods to boost to more than 7psi? :think:

"Kirk" has posted some pic's and info about con-rod differences on here somewhere in a "Branners" O.P. thread.

This sounds very interesting indeed! :D

I think i may look further into it. The economy gains (before modding) also seem a bonus.

Also are the rods on the vvti thinner/weaker, i remember reading something about this with the vvti gte engine.

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

Hey David!

That 75mm throttle body conversion sounds really interesting :p

Regards, Herbert