The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how would you describe bpu against standard tt auto

Guest fripon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this an interesting although an old read. I was just wondering if there is anyone cambs way that may have a bpu supra or aristo they could take me for a spin in to see the difference and eencourage me to get my card out. Unless there is some yourtube bpu vids floating around??

Mine SHOULD be done soon just sorting a gearbox otherwise I'm going auto which is no bother for me as I won't be changing the tunnel lol. There's no question really but to go BPU trust me ;)

With regard to the auto box, just putting the cat among the pigeons here, I'm not a fan.

IMO: The box is showing it's age, the changes are a bit too slow(everything fresh and working perfectly). Granted they are still faster changes than 95% of people will achieve in their manual cars, but nowadays a performance auto will change much quicker. I appreciate this isn't a fair comparison of a 20 year old gearbox and its relative technology. The other issue is the number of gears, three gears and overdrive(4th) simply isn't enough. I find the auto gears too long personally and also feel the car is too sensitive and down changes too quickly on occasion when you are only using partial throttle.

There are plenty of people who constantly give the auto box very high plaudits, but in reality if the auto was made in significantly lower numbers than the manual, then it would be the whipping boy of the supra scene much as the auto 200sx or RX7 is. But with so many auto owners hailing the box as excellent(and why wouldn't they, it's their car after-all) it leads everyone to spout the same lines over and over about the box.

I don't agree with the box feeling dated. Of course it's not as good as some sports autos these days, but it's still better than many. That's saying something. Also, changes are much smoother than many modern sports autos.

20 years on, the auto definitely deserves its reputation. The autos in 200sxs are awful by comparison.

Don't think I'm finished yet, the V160 on the other hand is a big industrial notchy gearbox, and if the relative owner is honest it is a bit heavy/clunky for everyday use.

I appreciate it has capabilities far beyond it's initial directive, that I do not doubt for a second.

V160 / V161 boxes vary. Some are much smoother than others. The one in my single felt fantastic.

So my opinion of the best box in a supra, the W58. :) I've owned two of these and both were very smooth in operation with well spaced gears and a light clutch.

They are by far the most user friendly gearbox in the supra. However their reputation is somewhat tarnished as being "weak" is due to them not being able to happily cope with almost double the designed torque(someone should really have pulled Toyota up about this).

The W58 is a lovely gearbox to use, but doesn't cope well with increased torque.

The autobox on the mkiv might not be up to modern standards but

its stood the test of time unlike lots of modern autos that have lots

of expensive problems and fail well before 100k or 10 years old.

My autobox is as slick as it ever was after 18 + years & 137,000 miles,

half of this has been at BPU or 400 HP ish :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Having owned both an Auto and Manual, I can honestly say I miss my Auto box. I never thought I would say that after getting a Manual despite the Auto always being brilliant, but the force it propels you forward at on BPU after kickdown is simply an enormous buzz I will never forget and will ALWAYS miss.

Having owned both an Auto and Manual, I can honestly say I miss my Auto box. I never thought I would say that after getting a Manual despite the Auto always being brilliant, but the force it propels you forward at on BPU after kickdown is simply an enormous buzz I will never forget and will ALWAYS miss.

see i can say after having a auto for last 3 years, i do miss the manual though....and i think personally you can abit more out of the manual than the auto's. just IMO

The autobox on the mkiv might not be up to modern standards but

its stood the test of time unlike lots of modern autos that have lots

of expensive problems and fail well before 100k or 10 years old.

My autobox is a slick as it ever was after 18 + years & 137,000 miles,

half of this has been at BPU or 400 HP ish :)

I agree ! You told me to give to my auto box a chance, when i bought my Supra 7 months ago because i prefered a manual, I like it now! It feels better than 2005 Mercedes E class auto box!

Well said man, I love my 6 speed even if it is a little notchy, but I seriously miss the smoothness & savage acceleration of my previous autobox!

I think the V161 is a little less clunky compared with the V160 from personal experience, and to be fair I still prefer my Auto to both of the other Sup's and the added bonus of not having a clutch in traffic and round town is great. Performance wise I'm sure toyota did a great transmission package for either outcome I would say

see i can say after having a auto for last 3 years, i do miss the manual though....and i think personally you can abit more out of the manual than the auto's. just IMO

Yes mate, do not read into that wrongly as I am not saying I prefer the auto. I just miss the buzz and wave of power behind it which you don't get with the manual, but the manual is an equally brilliant experience. These are two terrific transmissions that are showing a little bit of tiredness but are still right up their with the modern day best.

Well said man, I love my 6 speed even if it is a little notchy, but I seriously miss the smoothness & savage acceleration of my previous autobox!

Exactly mate. Plant the foot and no need to worry about selecting the right gear, boost etc - it's all there for you in a nicely wrapped savage face warp package.

I think the V161 is a little less clunky compared with the V160 from personal experience, and to be fair I still prefer my Auto to both of the other Sup's and the added bonus of not having a clutch in traffic and round town is great. Performance wise I'm sure toyota did a great transmission package for either outcome I would say

Agreed Sunny, it's the traffic that kills me on my company car. Makes me wish I choose the auto. If the Supra was my everyday ride then I would of definitely chosen an Auto, but thankfully it's just my fun car.