The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how would you describe bpu against standard tt auto

Guest fripon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my plan hopefully once I get my hands on my SUP, I plan to do the work myself too which should be even more fun...should be like lego right?

not quite like lego but close enough! ;)

I'd actually like to go out in a BPU auto, even though I have a manual and won't change, I'm interested in how different they feel

Say from a 30mph steady roll, dumping your right foot in the floor results in an explosive delivery of power that doesn't fade off until you're doing over 160. in the manual cars, changing gear breaks up the sensation somewhat.

Plus, you can keep both your hands on the wheel, which is a definite bonus! :D

IMO the auto gearbox is better for BPU. (plus, you can buy a tidy TT auto and BPU it for around £5k, making it THE perforce car bargain)

You could do the same with a mk1 Aristo for £3k though...

Very valid point, £5k for a BPU is the steal of the century! I like the idea of 'stick ya boot in and go!' :D but I also like the involvement you get with a manual, much more satisfying to drive for me personally.

Adi, I will be taking you up on that offer! which reminds me, I need to blag a ride in John's now that he's single :cool:

Very valid point, £5k for a BPU is the steal of the century! I like the idea of 'stick ya boot in and go!' :D but I also like the involvement you get with a manual, much more satisfying to drive for me personally.

Adi, I will be taking you up on that offer! which reminds me, I need to blag a ride in John's now that he's single :cool:

I love manual cars too, and I think I'd always want a manual with an aftermarket turbo conversion (single/big twins)

But the kickdown on a full BPU auto is giggle inducing. Very quick too, I raced a DB9 and a friends SL55 and both were easy prey.

I'd actually like to go out in a BPU auto, even though I have a manual and won't change, I'm interested in how different they feel

It's funny this having too owned both an Auto and Manual.

I always said to myself I would love a manual, the Auto is great but I missed the manual shift. Now I have a manual and find myself saying I miss and love the kickdown of the Autobox and the ridiculous ease and wave of acceleration. The manual takes a little more work that adds to the enjoyment, but if it is pure devestating acceleration that you want I really do think the Auto is the best choice.

Either way, I love them both just as much.

Say from a 30mph steady roll, dumping your right foot in the floor results in an explosive delivery of power that doesn't fade off until you're doing over 160. in the manual cars, changing gear breaks up the sensation somewhat.

Plus, you can keep both your hands on the wheel, which is a definite bonus! :D

IMO the auto gearbox is better for BPU. (plus, you can buy a tidy TT auto and BPU it for around £5k, making it THE perforce car bargain)

You could do the same with a mk1 Aristo for £3k though...

I love manual cars too, and I think I'd always want a manual with an aftermarket turbo conversion (single/big twins)

But the kickdown on a full BPU auto is giggle inducing. Very quick too, I raced a DB9 and a friends SL55 and both were easy prey.

My opinion and words sucked.

THIS man said it much better :)

The Auto really is a fantastic car. Saying that though my best mate went for a spin in the manual and thought it was MUCH faster than my old Auto. If anything, my old Auto was more powerful at circa 430fwhp.

As previously mentioned BPU will transform your TT especially from 4000rpm when the second turbo comes in.

With regard to the auto box, just putting the cat among the pigeons here, I'm not a fan.

IMO: The box is showing it's age, the changes are a bit too slow(everything fresh and working perfectly). Granted they are still faster changes than 95% of people will achieve in their manual cars, but nowadays a performance auto will change much quicker. I appreciate this isn't a fair comparison of a 20 year old gearbox and its relative technology. The other issue is the number of gears, three gears and overdrive(4th) simply isn't enough. I find the auto gears too long personally and also feel the car is too sensitive and down changes too quickly on occasion when you are only using partial throttle.

There are plenty of people who constantly give the auto box very high plaudits, but in reality if the auto was made in significantly lower numbers than the manual, then it would be the whipping boy of the supra scene much as the auto 200sx or RX7 is. But with so many auto owners hailing the box as excellent(and why wouldn't they, it's their car after-all) it leads everyone to spout the same lines over and over about the box.

Don't think I'm finished yet, the V160 on the other hand is a big industrial notchy gearbox, and if the relative owner is honest it is a bit heavy/clunky for everyday use.

I appreciate it has capabilities far beyond it's initial directive, that I do not doubt for a second.

So my opinion of the best box in a supra, the W58. :) I've owned two of these and both were very smooth in operation with well spaced gears and a light clutch.

They are by far the most user friendly gearbox in the supra. However their reputation is somewhat tarnished as being "weak" is due to them not being able to happily cope with almost double the designed torque(someone should really have pulled Toyota up about this).

For perspective I've driven plenty of supras and owned both auto and manual BPU's and W58 N/A's.

All this from a current BPU AUTO owner. :)

So my opinion of the best box in a supra, the W58. However their reputation is somewhat tarnished as being "weak" is due to them not being able to happily cope with almost double the designed torque

Everything else you stated except this was right :) Although yes they are extremely weak and the R154 is a much preferred option.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chieflongshin

Just found this an interesting although an old read. I was just wondering if there is anyone cambs way that may have a bpu supra or aristo they could take me for a spin in to see the difference and eencourage me to get my card out. Unless there is some yourtube bpu vids floating around??