• keep santapod for march club event
    • shakespeare raceway (date tba) joint event
    • shakespeare raceway (date tba) club event
    • none of the above

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see in the dragonball thread that we have not got good dates for the suprapod event (no suprise really)

I'm not surprised either... By the looks of it only effort these days is being put into planning Dragonball. Not sure if my Supra would survived such a distance and I don't want to think that I might be stuck with puncture or damage 1k miles away from home where the Dragonball plans doesn't allow for any bigger stops for breakdowns or not even mention if someone crash... :( For me next year events : Japfest at Castle Combe!, SupraPod (if will happen)and JAE.

And if it will come to this, to be part of another Club I think it will be actually a great idea, new people but still interesting sports cars, so I'm there wherever it will happen as long it will happen in England :)

suprapod was a great event as the scotland members come down for it! so we need something in the midlands realisticly, like shakespeare now let me go look at my link of tracks, WOW there is not many drag strip's in the uk.

to get the ball moving on this i think i will add a poll to see if we should go for joint event and where

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

sorry to say i dont know the exact date that was given to us from santa pod, also we would need a GTR club member to get the ball rolling on that site. i think we need to act on this soon as we dont want to get stuck with poor dates at shakespeare if it goes that way,

i dont know any airstrips we could drag down either maybe someone might know as im sure the cheaper the better the numbers running will be

With regard to Crail, yes it may not be a perfectly prepared drag strip, but what more do you want from a straight bit of tarmac where you go as fast as you can to try and beat the guy beside you. There is plenty of time to get your car stopped even with poor brakes, there are still street cars that run in the 9's at Crail. Obviously it's not going to be anywhere near the standard of facility as Santapod which hosts professional drag race series.

The upside being you could probably rent the whole place including the wide track, drag strip and drift figure of eight for a grand! How much does it cost to rent Santapod?

March sounds a bit iffy to me, I vote for Shakespeare joint event, 2013 supraspear don't have the same ring to it as suprapod though :)

I can start a thread on the GTROC if needed.

Jamie if you could start a thread and see what intrest you get for the tracks and dates, that would be great :thumbs:

Bare in mind it's the uk it can rain anytime so it's pot luck as far as the weathers concerned. The main thing is to get as many members from each club to attend. All these events are in England and if the Scottish members can attend supra pod every year at an 1100mile round trip I think it should be fairly easy to fill pod for one day a year. It's a great club with members that gel well together in most cases but it feels like people just can't be bothered anymore to do things as far as club events are concerned. I was very surprised at DragonCol when only 13 cars turned up its a piss poor show to be honest. All these events apart from DragonBall are on England's doorstep where 80% of members live I just don't get it.

With regard to Crail, yes it may not be a perfectly prepared drag strip, but what more do you want from a straight bit of tarmac where you go as fast as you can to try and beat the guy beside you. There is plenty of time to get your car stopped even with poor brakes, there are still street cars that run in the 9's at Crail. Obviously it's not going to be anywhere near the standard of facility as Santapod which hosts professional drag race series.

The upside being you could probably rent the whole place including the wide track, drag strip and drift figure of eight for a grand! How much does it cost to rent Santapod?

i think it was around 5K

I think March is a little too early with the weather being risky around that time (we have late winters). Also cars will still be locked away for winter as people dont tend to bring them out until atleast April/May.

I think having the event in October will be a good way to finish the year off whether its at Santa Pod or Shakespeare and a joint event will add to the excitement. Santa Pod has been great though thus far.

Could we not see if we could hire an airfiled, like Elvington, as a joint event - and mark out a drag strip and handling course? Satisifes everyone then - and there's a couple of nice hotels within 15-20 miles of the hotel for us to go to afterwards.

I vote Elvington, but then I would as I only live 5 mins away! :D it would make it much easier on our Scottish members too.

A couple of the big hotels in York have secure car parks too, good rail links for spectators, lots of nice bars etc.