The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on insuring a supe as a second car.

Chris6t9

Hi guys, within the next few weeks ill be keeping a close eye on single supe's up for grabs but im not sure how insuring it would work.

Iv been told by my mate that my NCB wont count when insuring a second car so id have to start again. I have got 4 years NCB but at my age i could no way insure a supe if i was to insure it from scratch. (0 years NCB)

I basically want to use it for 6 months in the summer and at weekends ect while using my daily for work then keep it in the garage over the winter time.

So how does everyone else go about insuring them?

Any info would be great as to the best way to insure one and fingers crossed when the right one pops up ill be in a single soon! :)

Chris i had my supra and an impreza insured as a second car and it didnt affect my ncb at all it was just extra money for the additional car on the policy. Its still the same policy just an additional car as far as i know anyway so you should still have the ncb on both cars regardless what you drive.

Am i right guys or have i got this wrong?

But can i insure 1 car with one insurance company, eg, admiral, and then the supe on another eg Adrian flux?

You could but both those companies will want to see your NCB. I have both my cars insured with different companies but with the supe being on a classic I don't need NCB for that. Better to get the second car insured with the same company as the first if you can.

H.

Best speaking to TKDDAV3 because he's 22 and insured on a 600bhp supra, so im sure he will tell you what insurance company he's with etc :)

Thanks ill drop him a pm :)

You could yeah but it will cost a lot more imo.

I think admiral would charge me a bomb for a supe so would i be better off changing both to another insurer then?

Thanks ill drop him a pm :)

I think admiral would charge me a bomb for a supe so would i be better off changing both to another insurer then?

Get a quote from the company you are insured with now and go from there. My supra policy with an 05 impreza wrx second car on it was an extra £60 a month that was all.

I'm with Norwich Union at the moment.

Each car you have must have its own insurance policy, not a bolt on to your primary. You can mirror your 4 ncb so the new policy won't be so bad. I think classic insurance won't cover modifications.

Has this changed recently? No seperate policy was sent out when i had two cars insured.

Hi guys, within the next few weeks ill be keeping a close eye on single supe's up for grabs but im not sure how insuring it would work.

Iv been told by my mate that my NCB wont count when insuring a second car so id have to start again. I have got 4 years NCB but at my age i could no way insure a supe if i was to insure it from scratch. (0 years NCB)

I basically want to use it for 6 months in the summer and at weekends ect while using my daily for work then keep it in the garage over the winter time.

So how does everyone else go about insuring them?

Any info would be great as to the best way to insure one and fingers crossed when the right one pops up ill be in a single soon! :)

I'm wanting to do the same so il keep a close eye on this :)

Hmm ok guys, say for an average single turbo supe what sort of stuff would you declare modification wise? You don't seriously have to name every single mod down to change of carpets do you?

I would give a list of everything I possibly could, they will ignore most of it but it's better to be safe than sorry. Last thing you want them to do is turn around and say your policy is void because you didn't tell them something.

Hmm ok guys, say for an average single turbo supe what sort of stuff would you declare modification wise? You don't seriously have to name every single mod down to change of carpets do you?

I would or they could use anything to not pay you out. Anything that gives the car a BHP increase over stock or anything that could add value to the car/make it more stealable should be mentioned. I waxed my car last week, didn't mention it to the insurance though.

H.

I would or they could use anything to not pay you out. Anything that gives the car a BHP increase over stock or anything that could add value to the car/make it more stealable should be mentioned. I waxed my car last week, didn't mention it to the insurance though.

H.

You rebel !

Has this changed recently? No seperate policy was sent out when i had two cars insured.

£60 a month extra is much the same cost as if you had 2 policies with different companies. If your car is a bit unusual the multicar policies seem to become uncompetetive pretty quickly. I had a year with http://www.lwib.co.uk. With limited mileage it was under £500 a year fully comp all mods declared. Give them a try Chris, might get lucky.