The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Too much oil

J-Meiser

Bleed some out of the sump drain hole until the level is at the max mark. Unless you wrap your sump nut with PTFE tape (I've heard it's unwise to do this anyway) then it'll only take a few minutes. If it's "way above" like you say, it's not worth the risk of popping a seal or causing other problems by leaving it.

Depends how much over really. Common leaks on the supra can be front main crank seal, oil pressure switch, oil filter housing seal....or most common rocker cover gaskets....

This one relates to my V8 Soarer, but I wanted to get a general idea before going into specifics. It only seems to leak when the engine is running. I'll get a picture up of the reading from the dipstick when I get home this evening, if it will help at all.

Bleed some out of the sump drain hole until the level is at the max mark. Unless you wrap your sump nut with PTFE tape (I've heard it's unwise to do this anyway) then it'll only take a few minutes. If it's "way above" like you say, it's not worth the risk of popping a seal or causing other problems by leaving it.

Thanks for the tip; I'll be doing the brakes on my IS200 this weekend so I'll get the Soarer out of the garage and give it a go.

Or if you have one vacuum bleed some out via the dipstick tube

Unfortunately not :(, but thanks for the tip anyway :thumbs:.

I am yet to determine exactly where but would hazard a guess at the sump or just in front of it. I took a couple of pictures a few days ago when I noticed the oil on the floor but did not see any oil dripping. I then started it up, left it running for 5-10 mins, looked underneath and saw it dripping then.

The pictures are not brilliant, but it was a spur of moment thing. I'll try and do a better job this weekend.

WP_000225.jpg

WP_000227.jpg

WP_000228.jpg

Ah, I didn't know you actually had an oil leak. Excess oil might have caused it, but now there's a leak that's likely to continue whether you remove some oil or not. I'd clean the area thoroughly, run the car for a bit, and look for the highest point that you can see the oil.

Thanks Stevie, I'll give it a go.

The pic below gives an idea how much oil is in the system and the red line shows where it read on the dipstick; why so much was put in there I don't know but a lot of it is definitely going to have to go!

WP_000257-1.jpg

Lee: that happens when engine oil mixes with water (i.e. coolant). It's called emulsification. Caused by the head gasket breaking down, but not really by overfilling alone.

Thanks bud.. I already knew that ;) .. I was just stating that too much oil could cause that problem.. I know it was nothing to do with this mans leak but i just thought id stick my (very limited) knowledge in :) .