The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Currently looking at this.

Ryy

I have a rule when it comes to cars and insurance. Never buy a car that costs more to insure than the car is worth. ;)

Set your sights lower , stick on the forum, ask questions, learn, and save your pennies.

Personally, I awaited until I was 21 to get my first supra na, then was 24 when I got my twin.

Plus, a 3 litre rwd sports coupe is not an ideal first car. Last thing we would all want to see is a "I lost the back end and put it in a hedge" thread.

Get some experience behind the wheel, and as I said, save and save some more, then in a couple of years, start looking for a supra.

Don't forget, just because you pass your test, doesn't mean you know how to drive. All you learn is how to pass your test.

You learn with experience, so get some of that first and foremost, as even an na can catch you napping.

Also, maintenance costs are high. Don't forget some of these cars are older than you ;)

My oil pump, crank seal and crank pulley have all gone in the last 6 weeks, and have cost me upwards of £500 to fix (and that's just parts :taped:) Just something else to think about. Crank pulley failure is becoming more and more common now too, and a new one is upwards of £230.

Not putting you down, just some friendly advice :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a rule when it comes to cars and insurance. Never buy a car that costs more to insure than the car is worth. ;)

Set your sights lower , stick on the forum, ask questions, learn, and save your pennies.

Personally, I awaited until I was 21 to get my first supra na, then was 24 when I got my twin.

Plus, a 3 litre rwd sports coupe is not an ideal first car. Last thing we would all want to see is a "I lost the back end and put it in a hedge" thread.

Get some experience behind the wheel, and as I said, save and save some more, then in a couple of years, start looking for a supra.

Don't forget, just because you pass your test, doesn't mean you know how to drive. All you learn is how to pass your test.

You learn with experience, so get some of that first and foremost, as even an na can catch you napping.

Also, maintenance costs are high. Don't forget some of these cars are older than you ;)

My oil pump, crank seal and crank pulley have all gone in the last 6 weeks, and have cost me upwards of £500 to fix (and that's just parts :taped:) Just something else to think about. Crank pulley failure is becoming more and more common now too, and a new one is upwards of £230.

Not putting you down, just some friendly advice :)

Great advice :D Enjoyed reading that.

Im setting my sights low and only spending £1000 on a car because i know insurance is the killer for young drivers.

I hate to put you down, as it's happened to me the hard way as well (spent the last 2 years trying to find a way around the system to get a Supra, only just turning 20) but unless you are loaded there is no chance that you will be able to get insured reasonably on a Supra before you are at least 21. I finally had enough money to insure a Supra this year even though I'm 20 but I decided against it since I'm in and out of the country at the moment and if I wait a year my premiums will drop tremendously.

Here's what I've discovered though.

First off most insurance companies will just laugh at your face for wanting a Supra, some won't even give you a quote, and if they do they will be charging you at least 7 Grand (from my experiences), even on an N/A. Finding a UK spec won't help either, you will still be looking to pay and arm and a leg.

The other thing you could try is using a Supra purely as a track car. However this too has a number of problems, one being the cost of track days is quite high. Two, you will need someone who has a trailer and has a B+E Towing license + a car that can safely tow a Supra/Trailer combo. These things can be hard to come by and arguably not worth the effort in the end for a days worth of driving.

The third option that you've already said is to buy it and have you're dad drive it, which works but I would argue against it and tell you to wait and use the money you have now on something else and build up a good insurance record so when the time comes you will be ready.

It sucks to hear I know, but like some of the other younger guys on these forums we are all just going to have to wait. See if you can get yourself on a 1.6 Celica or MR2, that's about as close as you are going to get to a Supra till the day that you can afford to insure one.

Trust me, we are all waiting for the day. There is nothing worse then having the Supra itch, having the cash for the car and being denied by the high cost of insurance :(

i gave my god son a 98 fiesta 1.25(my old runaround) for his 18th birthday and its costing him £3200 to insure with having his mum,dad and nan as named drivers to bring price down,so id be shocked if you could get insurance on a n/a for 5k.

get an old banger to learn how to drive in first,maybe mk1 mr2 as they fun and rwd and cheapish to run,just watch out for rust under bodykit and on rear arches etc

Edited by perpy1878 (see edit history)

Thanks for all reply lads:),

- As for my girlfriend - I've never had a relationship over a couple of months, so 2 years is an achievement, and she's defo in a different class to all the others I've been with (Im not a man sla* i promise:D)

- That's the reason, I joined this forum, Its to get tips from everyone, make friends, and eventually come to the meet up's.

Got a quote on a Fiesta zetec S, in my area 3k, I think I live in the rough parts of Nottingham:blink:

Thanks again Lads

Ry