The mkiv Supra Owners Club

de-carbonise engine

Jellybean

Would I actually make any difference on our cars constantly run on super unleaded though? An old high mileage derv perhaps, but im not 100% convinced.

Well as I said, on my xr2i it was amazing, on the supra I didn't notice anything, but supra looked after a lot better better and thousands of miles less, plus decent fuel will probably make a huge difference.

But I've seen it work on a few cars

Maybe I should try some on my 2001 TDDi Mondeo - if anything has buildup on it it'll be that clattery beast :)

I stuck some Wynns cleaner in the tank only the other day but the weather has been so ghastly I haven't even got it warmed up to see if there is any difference. Also I didn't really take any note of what it was like before so I've got no evidence either :D

Ideally you'd want to borescope it before and after, but who's going to go to that trouble (said Ecotek's marketing department)?

I thought this could be achieved through decent fuel, BP ultimate Shell V-power etc. Remember at Le-mans many years ago BP had a used mondeo V6 (hence engine nicely choked up) modified to run 3 cylinders on normal 95ron and 3 on Ultimate and they were sticking a fibre-optic camera down into the banks to show the cleaning effects of BP Ultimate even on a car of many miles. The difference was quite amazing, can remember thinking if it was a legitimate test and they hadn't done anything other than changing the fuel then fair play to them.

Okay I've ordered a cheapie borescope, I figure it'll be a useful tool to have full stop. Now I can have before and after pics of the piston tops, although not the valves (the camera end is pretty big). Now I have to think of a good way of testing the other claims of the Ecotek product (of which there are many):

This will give more engine power, crisper acceleration, better throttle response, higher top speed as well as reduced emissions and improved economy.

I'm not forking out for a dyno of my Mondeo, so more engine power is hard to measure. However I could video the speedo through a few 2nd gear pulls and compare them frame by frame to get an average before and after. That'd cover engine power, which is I think basically the same as "crisper" acceleration. Good luck with better throttle response on a scabby old TDDi turbo diesel, maybe I can factor in when I floor it to see how quickly it begins to accelerate.

Higher top speed isn't going to happen :D but it'd be a factor of more engine power anyway (see how their advertising blurb has taken one benefit and wrung four separate ones out of it so far... :rolleyes: )

Reduced emissions is tricky without getting a garage involved and that'll probably cost me money. Improved economy though, well, I can reset my economy trip meter and do some back to back cruises through our nice straight main road, again getting an average before and after. How accurate that is I don't know but if it's a mega improvement it'll show up.

I can do the same on the Soop afterwards but the condition of the cylinders in that are rather good according to my eyeball. Of course, all this will have to wait until the weather improves!

Edit to say - I really should get a before and after on the emissions as that's one of the most touted benefits, I'll see what I can do with a local garage.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember I took off the intake manifold on my Mondeo and it and the cylinder head ports were unbelievably clogged up with crap, got some pics at home somewhere, I wonder if it'll vapourise all that and if it'll help. Hopefully I'll be able to try in March when I've got free time :) I'll use the Ecotek can or some equivalent from Wynns.