The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what are your views on this single turbo kit? t61 turbo any good?

Supra N_A

Surely this makes the whifbitzs kit even more of a front runner unless you piece it together yourself.

I've got a whiffbitz single gate manifold on mine and it's a 1st class bit of kit. These XS-power manifolds are made from 304 grade stainless steel, which is very cheap and thin, although extremely light but subject to cracking because of this.

The whiffbitz manifolds are made from 316 grade stainless steel IIRC, the side walls are very thick and robust and very heavy. There's no way 1 of these bad boys will crack. IMO you get what you pay for with manifolds.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not you mate, chap before you posted what had already been said multiple times over 4 pages, I swear some folk open threads and reply without reading anything at all

Sorry but I had read the entire thread though I dont see any harm in posting my own opinion :)

for me to go from a bpu auto - small single 550 max

i would just need the turbo kit / front mount intercooler / 650 injectors / better oil lines / piggyback ecu and thats all isnt it as long as everything is in the turbo kit

but i would need a highstall tc too if still using the autobox?

any good insurers for single turbo install. admiral wont insure me

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

These XS-power manifolds are made from 304 grade stainless steel, which is very cheap and thin, although extremely light but subject to cracking because of this.

This can be avoided by supporting the turbo in the correct manner. You have to allow the manifold and turbo to move under thermal expansion while supporting the weight of the turbo at the same time. Bracing the manifold is not really the answer and more of a sales gimmick.

I'll be using one of XS powers NA-T manifolds, having the faces trued up, re-engineering the bracing and adding a full 360 degree gimbal support for the turbo.

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

A manifold can be supported and braced which won't cost alot. Buying a cheap manifold, and repairing it and bracing it will still get you 5 cheap manifolds to 1 expensive one.

My XS components fitted straight on. Down pipe married up to the whifbitz exhaust system, no manifold problems and the XS power turbo only gets boosted like crazy when the engines running, otherwise it's tucked up in a garage.

Thing is, everyone slates components they have never tried. fair enough you will get the odd component that needs fabrication, mitchell had problems with his Do Luck bumper but you dont see anyone slating every component they make.

There are plenty of guys runing XS gear. There are so many people slating them just because the crowd says to do it. So many people say XS are rubbish, buy Syvec and get a whifbitz kit its NUTS, half the people haven't bought ANY of those products just copy what other people say. And when theres suddenly a problem with XS components everyone shouts I told you so. Not saying Syvec isnt good, Ive been in a single Syvces its awesome. But people shouldn't chat about companies they have had NO problems with (I know alot of you guys talking about the topic have Im just saying).

For long life, reliability then yes higher grade materials and thicker tubing will make a difference. But there isn't a huge amount of difference between 304 and 316 materials. Brace it properly and you won't have any issues.

My manifold was second hand, I've done a fair few amount of miles and not had any issues. You wont see people saying they dont have any problems, you will only find people moaning about their problems so how can you compare the XS products they are currently selling to old stories about downpipes requiring to be modified and turbo's lasting 10 minutes.

Whiffin did say he didn't expect all my components to fit very easily (if any) and may require modification. When it came to fitment he had no issues with any of them. Rubbish oil lines but that was it.

People have Garret turbo's failing and just put it down to over powering them or they wear out. People see an XS turbo fail and just shout I told you so.

The best thing IMO to spend your money on is the electronics and the mapping and also sensors, safety devices and upgrades to prolong the conversion (e.g. oil cooler).

The XS vs high price products battle will always be going on. And unless someone has bought various XS products and not just had the odd bad product (like we all have at some stage from different companies along the lines of car ownership) I think people should just be open minded to the growing number of people having ok products from their range.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Ive seen loads of members/freinds use the XS stuff over the years, some have got away with it, some have had nothing but trouble, if on a tight budget i can see why people would consider it.

One thing to consider, go with a quality single kit and when you come to sell the car it will still be worth good money, put an XS power kit on it and devalue your car imo.

If you looking for resonable price (brand new) turbo kit. Go for Powerhouse Racing T61 turbo kit. Check out this lui old project http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?164766-Lui-s-Single-Turbo-build

PHR dont make that kit Lui has any more, this is the new street kit.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?254017-Release-of-new-street-turbo-kit

One thing to consider, go with a quality single kit and when you come to sell the car it will still be worth good money, put an XS power kit on it and devalue your car imo.

The re-sale value on NA-T does bite. NA's dont sell for much even with a kit. I saw an NA with a whifbitz kit on go for around 6.5k and that was top money. No way I'd get that for mine. You do have to consider you won't be doing it for the re-sale.

The re-sale value on NA-T does bite. NA's dont sell for much even with a kit. I saw an NA with a whifbitz kit on go for around 6.5k and that was top money. No way I'd get that for mine. You do have to consider you won't be doing it for the re-sale.

If I had a kit on my NA I would have no intention of resale and frankly the only way I will ditch the kit is if I hand deliver myself to god personally in a glowing red supra fireball/ Heap.

Edit: I may be thinking that ABS would of been a nice touch though.

Double edit: Possibly an airbag as well.

A manifold can be supported and braced which won't cost alot. Buying a cheap manifold, and repairing it and bracing it will still get you 5 cheap manifolds to 1 expensive one.

My XS components fitted straight on. Down pipe married up to the whifbitz exhaust system, no manifold problems and the XS power turbo only gets boosted like crazy when the engines running, otherwise it's tucked up in a garage.

Thing is, everyone slates components they have never tried. fair enough you will get the odd component that needs fabrication, mitchell had problems with his Do Luck bumper but you dont see anyone slating every component they make.

There are plenty of guys runing XS gear. There are so many people slating them just because the crowd says to do it. So many people say XS are rubbish, buy Syvec and get a whifbitz kit its NUTS, half the people haven't bought ANY of those products just copy what other people say. And when theres suddenly a problem with XS components everyone shouts I told you so. Not saying Syvec isnt good, Ive been in a single Syvces its awesome. But people shouldn't chat about companies they have had NO problems with (I know alot of you guys talking about the topic have Im just saying).

For long life, reliability then yes higher grade materials and thicker tubing will make a difference. But there isn't a huge amount of difference between 304 and 316 materials. Brace it properly and you won't have any issues.

My manifold was second hand, I've done a fair few amount of miles and not had any issues. You wont see people saying they dont have any problems, you will only find people moaning about their problems so how can you compare the XS products they are currently selling to old stories about downpipes requiring to be modified and turbo's lasting 10 minutes.

Whiffin did say he didn't expect all my components to fit very easily (if any) and may require modification. When it came to fitment he had no issues with any of them. Rubbish oil lines but that was it.

People have Garret turbo's failing and just put it down to over powering them or they wear out. People see an XS turbo fail and just shout I told you so.

The best thing IMO to spend your money on is the electronics and the mapping and also sensors, safety devices and upgrades to prolong the conversion (e.g. oil cooler).

The XS vs high price products battle will always be going on. And unless someone has bought various XS products and not just had the odd bad product (like we all have at some stage from different companies along the lines of car ownership) I think people should just be open minded to the growing number of people having ok products from their range.

you say all the things i can no longer be botherd to type

you say all the things i can no longer be botherd to type

thats because somewhere on this forum you probably already said it :)

we definitely need an NA-T section on the forum. if for nothing else, for new owners to read the sticky threads.

well after this thread i know i will just buy a cheap turbo next time if the t67 dbb lets go on me, but i do have it at over kill its a 700bhp turbo that i run at 500 so i guess it might last a little longer then some

Buying a premium product can't be a bad thing. If funds permit, I feel my build list would of been different. My view was buy cheap where I couldn't justify doing otherwise, and if it failed replace with a better product to reduce chances of failing again.

If you have had good luck, there is no reason to say you would of had such a good product spending less money so don't beat yourself up dude. :)