The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SL55 AMG, what a crock

Chris Wilson

Got a 30,000 miler, one owner from new SL55 AMG on the ramp for the investigation of "poor brakes". The car is one owner, just on 30,000 with full MB history. All the self levelling unit bellows are split and flapping, insides of front discs look like something brought up from the wreck of the Titanic, pads down to backings, rust starting here and there, terrible whirring from some bearing in the auxiliary belt run, battery goes flat if left more than a week, blah blah. German cars are not what they were. Depreciation? The owner worked it out and felt suicidal... Nice engine, shame about the rest. Oh, and a 100K car that only has ONE pad wear level sensor per axle, too tight to fit one to each caliper.... Did I mention the oil leaks?

BTW, the diff could probably be adapted to a MKIV by someone with fabrication skills, supposed to be very tough.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a good luck at this too. Do some research, frightening..!!

I couldn't imagine buying a new car and thinking about how much it has depreciated from the moment it left the forecourt to it sitting outside your house ect. Owning a NA is bad enough but that must really suck.

I couldn't imagine buying a new car and thinking about how much it has depreciated from the moment it left the forecourt to it sitting outside your house ect. Owning a NA is bad enough but that must really suck.

All the cars I am considering as the Supra replacement are £80 - 90K cars when they were new. Many are sub £20K or thereabouts only 7 years after they were made.

That said, the 996 Turbo sill seems a good bet.

SL55 AMG

BMW M6

Aston V8 Vantage

Porsche 996 Turbo

Audi RS4 & RS6

Jag XKR

All seem to be prone to serious and expensive problems at realtively low miles. What is a modern equivalent to the Supra as none of the "similar" cars are in the same class.

H.

I've been looking at M6's... talk about depreciation!

I have had a good luck at this too. Do some research, frightening..!!

A lot of car for the money but as H said some of the horror stories... if that box goes in the car, god help you.

Also 13mpg around town, down to 6mpg when you are booting it :blink:

If you want something similar then the E92 M3 have gone down quite a LOT, the better option is the 335i!

Audi Rs6 and the Porsche are great cars but like stated the Porsche turbo's had stupid problems (CAnt remember what they were)

Don't the Rs6's have about 500bhp?? It is amazing the price drop on everything you listed and asks the question why even bother buying new when like you stated a few years down the line you have a great car and somebody else has taken the massive brunt of depreciation for you.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them cars H whichever one you choose in the end I am sure you will enjoy.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them cars H whichever one you choose in the end I am sure you will enjoy.

I know I would enjoy driving them, putting a private plate on and pretending to be richer than I actually am and all that. The problem comes when you go to the dealer and get a bill for 5 grand..!!

H.

Audi Rs6 and the Porsche are great cars but like stated the Porsche turbo's had stupid problems (CAnt remember what they were)

It was early 996 3.4L cars and some of the 3.6L cars that had some problems. The Turbo was never affected and is considered pretty bulletproof.

It was early 996 3.4L cars and some of the 3.6L cars that had some problems. The Turbo was never affected and is considered pretty bulletproof.

Ellis I stand corrected, Feel free to put up one of your amazing photoshop edits to illustrate how wrong I was. I suppose you are right H the dealership costs I imagine are retardedly bad.

Give me a Cayman and the budget to put a 911 turbo engine in there, I'll be a happy boy.

Could I ask why? Just curious as I would have thought it would upset the balance? Wouldn't it be better to just go with the 911 turbo?

Been in a Cayman & without even driving it seemed fantastic! Not so keen on the looks though.

Could I ask why? Just curious as I would have thought it would upset the balance? Wouldn't it be better to just go with the 911 turbo?

Been in a Cayman & without even driving it seemed fantastic! Not so keen on the looks though.

For my money the Cayman is the best-handling road car you can buy. The only reason Porsche didn't put a turbo engine in there is because it would walk all over the 911. Getting the balance right with a turbo engine wouldn't be too hard, and the mid-engine layout is a huge advantage IMO :)

The best car I drove last year was the Cayman R by an absolute country mile.

For my money the Cayman is the best-handling road car you can buy. The only reason Porsche didn't put a turbo engine in there is because it would walk all over the 911. Getting the balance right with a turbo engine wouldn't be too hard, and the mid-engine layout is a huge advantage IMO :)

I remember that as it was made as an exact midpoint between the boxster and the carrera, I agree with Abz's (who said that) about the looks as for me it just doesn't have that "porsche" look to it and reminds me of myself laying on my back with my top off after a large meal.

Ah, I remember reading something about this when it first came out (could even have been from you) ;)

Just saw this video too.

5mFoSpbhAOw