Gauging Interest on a potential GroupBuy- Carbon Fibre Exhaust surround

ripped_fear

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very pleased with the list guys and as there seems to be easily enough interest I will certainly be taking the next steps. I have been playing around with the shape today and have tweaked it slightly and i think for the better. I will begin cutting it tomorrow and hopefully get the first one moulded.

As for the questions-

How do they respond to the heat from the exhaust?

I have a white car and it does get a little sutty/black around that area. Wipes clean but does get dirt and hot that area

just wondering are they heat resistant etc

I have no idea on how they respond as I have not made them yet, BUT once I have mine made, I will use it for a little while to see how it responds.

Although I can not see it being a problem as if all goes to plan, the fabric used will be the same stuff Dave uses on his dash panels, this will be coupled with a high temp adhesive, which has been used on some of Dave's under bonnet parts and has been proven it can with stand high temperatures.

On top of this the item will be either Clear coated meaning it will be sealed tight, or it will be coated in a clear resin this will be decided on my test samples.

Would assume Jake will use a high temp resin during the carbon lay, which means they will easily withstand exhaust temperatures.

Great looking product Jake!

Thanks bud it will be made as described above.

I'm pretty sure you can't clear coat that stuff Dave uses, the proper carbon skinning kits look so much better and I think would be better for this

My thoughts too, clear coat over that stuff will end in tears i fear. Just as easy to carbon skin it and use resin.

I'm pretty sure you can't clear coat that stuff Dave uses, the proper carbon skinning kits look so much better and I think would be better for this

My thoughts too, clear coat over that stuff will end in tears i fear. Just as easy to carbon skin it and use resin.

I will take a look into this guys and see, but I have no experience using this and do not know if im up to it. Will do some research and update acordinly.

Out of interest paul what makes you think it will end in tears? am I over looking somthing?

Have made the final shape today and will add some pictures later. Going to try the first Fibre glass version tomorrow.

Hi mate, I think that spray clear coat over the top of either vinyl or the cloth 'lookalike' stuff will hide the pattern and also possibly react with the material. To get a good solid shiney coat on top of those materials will be near impossible, I think that doing a fibreglass base and then adding real carbon and resin is the way forward.

If you have scraps of material then give your original idea a go but I just don't want to see you put in loads of hard work and end up with a disaster.

Hi mate, I think that spray clear coat over the top of either vinyl or the cloth 'lookalike' stuff will hide the pattern and also possibly react with the material. To get a good solid shiney coat on top of those materials will be near impossible, I think that doing a fibreglass base and then adding real carbon and resin is the way forward.

If you have scraps of material then give your original idea a go but I just don't want to see you put in loads of hard work and end up with a disaster.

:thumbs: cheers for the response, I have lots of material for me to test with a variety of different clear coats, so plenty of tests will be carried out. I do like the idea of the this carbon skinning and am definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the advise.

I'd also be interested. Took the liberty of numbering the list :)

1.) Joiner91

2.) Bradleyh_15

3.) Suprad06

4.) Geo

5.) Supraman

6.) ajlittler

7.) tkddav3

8.) monkpower

9.) JakeG

10) Johnsupra1

11) pjavon

12) welsbuddy

13) lexmk4

14) Supra Gaz

15) dive_popo

16) mitchell9006

17) l.chris97

18) jake supra

19) Dan_Turism0

20) SupraDan24

Edited by SupraDan24 (see edit history)

I'd also be interested. Took the liberty of numbering the list :)

Thanks mate.

Here are some pictures of the shape I have decided on, took about 2 hours to file smooth :blink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=148002&stc=1&d=1331407548

attachment.php?attachmentid=148003&stc=1&d=1331407587

attachment.php?attachmentid=148004&stc=1&d=1331407587

As you can see from the pictures I have decided to scrap the idea of using the stock bumper bolt to hold it in place. I have how ever left a small lip around the edge to help hold it in place. The reason I have decided against this is because i have a custom exhaust and because of the clearance it would mean removal of the exhaust system or bumper just to fit the surround, which seemed stupid. Im sure due to the size of some after market systems I would not be alone in this so thought it would be easier this way.

Today had a bit of time after work so removed the fibreglass from the mould, this is a test version with two layers of matting, ideally I want this to be enough, as I do not want it to sit to proud from the bumper.

We shall see if it works or not, but really pleased with how its fitting currently. Took ages to cut it and sand/file into shape!

attachment.php?attachmentid=148410&stc=1&d=1331930883

attachment.php?attachmentid=148411&stc=1&d=1331930883

attachment.php?attachmentid=148412&stc=1&d=1331930883

attachment.php?attachmentid=148413&stc=1&d=1331930883

attachment.php?attachmentid=148414&stc=1&d=1331930883