The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil filter

Josh

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous argument! Although most things on these cars are pretty good as stock, it doesn't mean they can't be improved! And fitting a larger oil filter is clearly an improvement. But nobody replied to my question as to whether there is clearance to fit a longer filter on the 2J ?

And regarding removing oil filters . . if you don't over-tighten them they should undo fine. I've NEVER had a problem removing an oil filter just by grabbing it by hand and unscrewing it (as long as it's not one someone else has fitted!)

Why is it an improvement ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you'll find that parallel works best.

One above the other. ;)

You may need to get a strap on though, to get it off.

Also, when unscrewing, be careful of hot fluids, as they can come gushing out unexpectedly.

Yep that might work better :D

Guest Roger NE
Why is it an improvement ?

Because a bigger filter will give you better filtration and better oil flow. (as I explained in my first post)

Suppose your stock filter is 50% clogged with particles . . . a filter with twice the surface area (like the one I have fitted on my 7M) will be just like a brand new one. No matter how frequently you do a filter change, at any given point a bigger filter will give you better oil flow.

However . . nobody has commented on whether there is room to fit a bigger filter on the 2J engine (that was why I posted this, as I'm hoping to get one) - So I hope somebody will answer that

On the 7M engine, a bigger filter fits easily on the N/A engine, but not on the Turbo version (which unlike the N/A is a nightmare to even get at to do a filter change!)

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Because a bigger filter will give you better filtration and better oil flow. (as I explained in my first post)

Suppose your stock filter is 50% clogged with particles . . . a filter with twice the surface area (like the one I have fitted on my 7M) will be just like a brand new one. No matter how frequently you do a filter change, at any given point a bigger filter will give you better oil flow.

However . . nobody has commented on whether there is room to fit a bigger filter on the 2J engine (that was why I posted this, as I'm hoping to get one) - So I hope somebody will answer that

On the 7M engine, a bigger filter fits easily on the N/A engine, but not on the Turbo version (which unlike the N/A is a nightmare to even get at to do a filter change!)

Yes you can there are a few people that run the lexus one, Geo runs a lexus oil filter on his single.

That's correct if the gauze size of the filtration material is the same, and the flow through the filter is not too fast or too slow (this last condition is very hard to test for).

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

You lot just haven't thought about this have you, just blindly followed the Yanks... :( Now why would the Lexus filter have a different sort of filtration element, and a bigger filtration element area? Redneck "bigger is better" mentality is all well and good and expected Stateside, why lower yourselves to their level? ;)

Anyway, Honda in the first sports car they sold in the UK had a far better filtration set up than anything Toyota have attempted since, or are likely to attempt.

You lot just haven't thought about this have you, just blindly followed the Yanks... :( Now why would the Lexus filter have a different sort of filtration element, and a bigger filtration element area? Redneck "bigger is better" mentality is all well and good and expected Stateside, why lower yourselves to their level? ;)

Anyway, Honda in the first sports car they sold in the UK had a far better filtration set up than anything Toyota have attempted since, or are likely to attempt.

So you're saying stock filter too?

I'll get one ordered :)

i have just paid £3.50 for a brand new blue print oil filter, seeing the prices you guys have listed it makes me weiry! lol i dont remember them being that cheap last time i changed it. Are blue print ones any good?

Blueprint parts are usually pretty good as oem so should be fine.

i have just paid £3.50 for a brand new blue print oil filter, seeing the prices you guys have listed it makes me weiry! lol i dont remember them being that cheap last time i changed it. Are blue print ones any good?

Depends on who manufactured the pattern part! I don't bother with them when genuine Toyota ones are not much more expensive. I've heard stories of pattern filters having metal shards/swarf in them, but you might be OK. £3.50 might be fishing from the bottom of the quality barrel though.

same here i had one off ebay for about a fiver,

it came and was exact the same as the one that was on the car, japanese writing all over it, same size, colour etc etc,

didnt leak oil, sealed nice,

tbh i didnt really think there was much that could go wrong with it,