The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new mot laws

haz182

Must be, you only own a garage & build drag cars. :p

I do understand what you mean, but if you align your headlights correctly (nice and low) then it shouldn't dazzle other drivers.

Its pretty simple dude, all stock fitted HID's have to have washers and self levelling, thats for a reason.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All new cars have traction control, yet we all turn it off as soon as we can.

I dont, neither does anyone sensible, it amazes me how we all seem to think we are driving gods and can drive better without the aid of things that have cost millions of pounds to develop, the silver 6 speed I had that Ryan set the traction upon the Syvecs was almost undriveable on the tires it had and the fact the roads were cold, with the TC working it was a piece of cake. Oh but theres no thrill I hear you say! If you want a thrill get a race licence, you can slide around all you want and not hurt anyone. How come almost every member on here is raving about the R35, the car with more electronics than the space shuttle? But even if you do turn it off you will only effect who you slide into not every car on the road at night.

I think the problem with cats will still be emissions, as they can't bodge the results on the computer for that. I would think a friendly tester would still say the cats are installed, but if it fails emissions there's nothing they can do - is that right?

Threoretically they could accidentally put the emissions tester in the wrong car. But this is only a theory ....

my car is Bpu'd and has both cats removed, does this mean im going to have to put one or both back in every year? Or is it possible to get away with it with a friendly tester?

Your car should have failed on the old rules, weve had this argument before, J spec is in the MOT computer, the engine code is there for all to see so it has to have and pass the cat test. Its a small price to pay for the power you have to just bolt a cat in once a year. A friendly tester is the way to go, but with MOT stations costing more and more to set up the only way that will happen is if the tester is just staff, no station owner in his right mind would risk his liscence for something so stupid, once VOSA take the station liscence away its very hard to get it back and your investment is gone.

Its never failed on emissions before, been taking it to the same guy since 2005, and it always flies through, so unless something changes with the way its tested, i think i'll be ok.

Dont realy want to keep swapping and changing bits every year.

It should fail a MOT mate but if he is passing it...keep taking it to him lol saves you a job of putting the cats back on...

I know a very strict MOT tester, if your seatbelts don't retract to its original position within two seconds or something he fails it lol

Can't say I am surprised you were the one to spot that comment! I hear your Hawaiian shirts are more bright than the HID'S being mentioned earlier as well whether that is true or not is a different thing.

It is indeed true, about time they came out of retirement i think !!!!!! Strangely my range Rover does not have an emissions test as its LPG !!!! Or its the emission test that cannot fail unless its pouring black smoke !!!

I dont, neither does anyone sensible, it amazes me how we all seem to think we are driving gods and can drive better without the aid of things that have cost millions of pounds to develop, the silver 6 speed I had that Ryan set the traction upon the Syvecs was almost undriveable on the tires it had and the fact the roads were cold, with the TC working it was a piece of cake. Oh but theres no thrill I hear you say! If you want a thrill get a race licence, you can slide around all you want and not hurt anyone. How come almost every member on here is raving about the R35, the car with more electronics than the space shuttle? But even if you do turn it off you will only effect who you slide into not every car on the road at night.

:thumbs:

Just a point about fog lights.

They are possibly day running lights that you are complaining about. I also get annoyed at fogs being used inappropriately but since getting a car in July with these in the traditional fog light position I get flashed by loads of drivers coming the other way and rear fogs flashed by drivers in front. The fact they are LED probably doesn't help.

Now, whilst I can switch them off in the day, as soon as I switch headlights on (well they are auto) the day running lights come on. Not even Mercedes can tell me how to switch these off. Apparently it can't be done. So I have funky active turning xenon lights and now I can't choose when to use what. At least I can turn off the auto hi/low beam assist as it is crap.

Audis don't seem to have this issue as they are mainly combined into the headlight unit.

So, sorry to all those who think I am a to**er with fog lights on needlessly. But I'm not.

Anyway, back on topic.

That is a good and fair point and sometimes that maybe the case but most of the time the cars that are doing it are saxos are other chavs out and about plus "day" running light is the key as I don't consider pitch black which is anything after 5 at the moment to be day. Surely just low beam is good enough but I forget it ruins the cars look.

Just a point about fog lights.

They are possibly day running lights that you are complaining about. I also get annoyed at fogs being used inappropriately but since getting a car in July with these in the traditional fog light position I get flashed by loads of drivers coming the other way and rear fogs flashed by drivers in front. The fact they are LED probably doesn't help.

Now, whilst I can switch them off in the day, as soon as I switch headlights on (well they are auto) the day running lights come on. Not even Mercedes can tell me how to switch these off. Apparently it can't be done. So I have funky active turning xenon lights and now I can't choose when to use what. At least I can turn off the auto hi/low beam assist as it is crap.

Audis don't seem to have this issue as they are mainly combined into the headlight unit.

So, sorry to all those who think I am a to**er with fog lights on needlessly. But I'm not.

Anyway, back on topic.

How many times have you HAD to use a rear fog in your driving career ???? Ive been driving almost 30 years and I would say ive HAD to use em maybe 5 or 6 times !!! It amazes me how you can be in a moving que of cars prob for a couple of miles, all of a sudden a bit of fog and all the rear fog lights go on! Now dont get me wrong but I know there is a car in front, its been there for a few miles and i can see cars prob 200m away, the difference is I can now barely see the brakes come on in front because I have a mild case of arc eye. rear fogs are meant for country roads where you are not in a Q of cars and visibilty is a few meters tops, its actually illegal to use front fogs or 'driving' lights unless there is bad visbility or they are more than a certain distance from the floor.