The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new mot laws

haz182

Yeah that was the way I also read it. For aftermarket purposes the full headlight must be supplied for it to be legal.

I'll not worry much though, there's more chance of my car failing on emissions..... like almost every other Supra on the road.

As an ex tester I would be less likely to be bothered by emissions, high emissions wont kill anyone, I was dazzled by that car with purple lights and ran over 10 old ladies at a bus stop as it left the MOT station would !!!!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ex tester I would be less likely to be bothered by emissions, high emissions wont kill anyone, I was dazzled by that car with purple lights and ran over 10 old ladies at a bus stop as it left the MOT station would !!!!!

My lights don't dazzle though, as I said I've never seen an issue with projector lenses. Non-projector lenses with HIDs would never pass an MOT on the beam pattern check.

But then there is this

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

And this

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

This was his argument, and he says that's what he is going on, so wrong numbers on lens no passy mot !!!!

That's the law, it's not the MOT test.

In other words, he should not fail a car for having HIDs, but the police person standing outside the testing station can issue a ticket because the car has HIDs.

The law says you must have a working speedometer, but until this year there was no mention of the speedometer in the MOT test - MOT tester couldn't fail the car, but plod could book you.

That's the law, it's not the MOT test.

In other words, he should not fail a car for having HIDs, but the police person standing outside the testing station can issue a ticket because the car has HIDs.

The law says you must have a working speedometer, but until this year there was no mention of the speedometer in the MOT test - MOT tester couldn't fail the car, but plod could book you.

I dont think you need a speedometer, im sure a rev counter marked can take its place.

• 1 month later...

Just to raise this up again on the subject of MOT regulations and HID's. I took the Supra for an MOT last week and it passed although they gave me an Advisory note stating that I have HID's fitted without a self levelling or cleaning device etc. - So no failure from my part but they raise it on the Certificate.

Just to raise this up again on the subject of MOT regulations and HID's. I took the Supra for an MOT last week and it passed although they gave me an Advisory note stating that I have HID's fitted without a self levelling or cleaning device etc. - So no failure from my part but they raise it on the Certificate.

They are probably one of the ones that think it's an advisory until April, when it will become a failure - I'm guessing they will start failing cars after April.