The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new mot laws

haz182

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me they will easily find a way of testing it dude, no more trouble than testing 4 X 4 brakes where they have to go out on the road with a Tapley meter, the govt want modified cars to be a thing of the past, in some euro countries im sure the test takes many hours and cost 100's of euros.

I thought they weren't allowed to road test cars on an MOT?

I thought they weren't allowed to road test cars on an MOT?

They have to road test cars that are full time 4 wheel drive otherwise they would destroy the gearbox, so they use a Tapley meter and stop from set mph and see what readings they get.

Repairs and modifications to vehicles must be assessed on their merits, taking account of the nature and function of the component.

The main criterion to be used when assessing repairs is whether the repair is obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle. In respect of modifications, the main criterion should be whether the modification has seriously weakened the component.

From the MOT inspection manual dated "Issue Date 01 January 2012". Can't see anything about failing for ECU changes or that HID cars must have washers and auto-leveling.

well, THIS is the link for the 2012 Testers Handbook as published by the Gov't - no mention of the ECU thing you mention....
The 1 January 2012 version is available online (as well as in PDF form), so you can see exactly what is in the new test:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

I can't see anything, for example, to say that HIDs must have self-levelling and washers, only that they may have these features, and, if present, they must work...

1.7 HEADLAMPS

INFORMATION

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

HID lamps may be identified by:

· taking a few seconds to reach full intensity

· having a bluish tinge to the light

· having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

· having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.

HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items

METHOD OF INSPECTION:

2. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

REASON FOR REJECTION:

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

From the MOT inspection manual dated "Issue Date 01 January 2012". Can't see anything about failing for ECU changes or that HID cars must have washers and auto-leveling.

HID's without washers and self levelling are lethal, I would be hoping they definatly bring that one in, every supra ive seen dazzles on coming cars, the MOT tester we use definatly said about that particular reg.

"inappropiate modifications to steering, suspension and brakes. (inappropiate defined as significately modified from the original specification) "

Does that mean that aftermarket suspension and brakes e.g. Brembos will be failed?

I suppose you could argue that a supra with 8 pot front and J spec rears is unbalanced !!!! which it is but prob more aimed at one offs and some kit cars

Guess I'll be removing mine then :innocent:

I take the country way home, very dark b roads and im fed up with poxy saxos blinding me with purple light !!! I notice all of a sudden I get flashed a lot (Range rover HID) wash the lights and hey presto no more flashes, thats how sensitive the wash is and you can see the lights self levelling all the time. Of course one day they will dazzle someone like me in a 3 ton car and wonder why they are standing at the pearly gates with a Range Rover enema !!!!

I just got followed back from chichester by someone in a range rover and his lights were bloody annoying but saying that after 10miles he came round a corner and his lights were fine. Saxo's are peeing me off at the moment but my pet hate is all the retards with their fog lights on for no reason at all.

The cars of the future are looking to be boring pieces of crap then if they are all going to be standard dull looking pedestrian friendly eco mobiles.

Basically if your car does not come with HID's dont fit em, you may be able to see where you are going but anyone coming towards you cant

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

I had HID's in my previous Supra for 2 years (UK Spec Lights) and never got flashed. When driving behind cars I can see a clear cut line of the light in front. I have done long trips with friends before & they haven't mentioned they are being blinded (they would normally moan if it did). The lights in non projector casings are lethal, they spread the light everywhere, at least in the projector casings they more focused.

I had HID's in my previous Supra for 2 years (UK Spec Lights) and never got flashed. When driving behind cars I can see a clear cut line of the light in front. I have done long trips with friends before & they haven't mentioned they are being blinded (they would normally moan if it did). The lights in non projector casings are lethal, they spread the light everywhere, at least in the projector casings they more focused.

Must be my imagination then

It doesn't help that my lights would be under threat of being outclassed by me flicking a lighter out the window but when some "kind person" comes head on decides not to dip his lights for a while and then when he does he helpfully has his fogs on somewhat irks me. I wish the police would pull over every helmet that does it as I could rake up nearly £300 fines on a 15minute journey if I was a copper.