The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra revival!

mknapman77

i actually tried that and i couldnt hear the pump, is it common for the pump to break?

To die completely I would say not, but saying that how many other Supras have we had on here that have been stood like yours for so long? OK, do you have a multimeter? If so just check that you have 12v present at the B+ point at the diag port when the ignition is on. The fact that you are storing codes suggests that it is, but lets just be 100% sure.

Lift the sparewheel out and remove the circular plate that's underneath and it will expose the top of the tank and a connector that carries the sender connections and also the fuel pump feed. Seem to recall that the pump feed wires are thicker than the sender ones, but could be wrong here, sure someone will correct me if so and maybe oeven provide us with the wire colours of the pump's feed. Once these are identified stick the meter on these and with the link in place up at the diag port you should see a constant 12v at the pump feed. If so, then you will need to take the pump out and investigate a bit further, if not then report back and we will go a bit deeper into it. Good luck chap.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah fuel pump is dead. dont suppose there is anywhere local i can pick one up? will it be the same as a uk one?
I think the UK one has a slightly higher flow rate, but fits. Assuming once you get the bug you will want to go BPU and so on, may as well just stick a walboro or something similar in while its in bits and then you know at a later date that bits taken care of. I bought from a company on ebay that supposedly has a 300+ lph flow rate and it was a good price I seem to recall, Paul Whiffin (a trder on here) does them too.

Here you are, this will get you going for little money until you decide what type to go for and they do express delivery:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HRC-Performance-Toyota-Supra-Celica-ST-Starlet-255-LPH-HRC-fuel-pump-race-/260922819047?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc03641e7

Edited by Shane
added link (see edit history)

hi all, ive run into my first problem!

i seem to have engine fault codes 14, which i think is an ignition circuit problem, although i do have a spark, and the 2nd is 78, which is fuel pump related. I do however have some kind of aftermarket alarm/immobiliser, and im thinking that possibly all of this could stem from not being able to disarm that. obviously i will be trying to take that out of the system tomorrow (i think its some kind of toad alarm) just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

another question i have is where is the fuel pump? I currently have no workshop manuals, as they still havent turned up from the people i ordered them from.

thanks for any advice

Check the links in post no 2 that David P posted

Fuel pump on, got rid off the immobiliser which was preventing it switching on the fuel pump aaaaaand..........it runs! And sounds absolutely sweet as a nut! Next stop, brakes! Do you see what i did there?

Supras don't seem to mind hibernation :D Glad you got her running !! Will be a good thread, will be watching closely good luck.

Good to hear it's up and running.

You will need to get some refurb kits for the brakes. You can stick with stock discs as they are decent enough but it might be worth sticking some Chris Wilson fast road pads and braided lines on while your at it. Some rbf 600 or 660 wouldn't hurt either. I would also just check the condition of the brake lines seeing as they have sat for so long as they have been known to perish on the supra.

I have refurbished quite a few sets of UK spec brakes so if you need a hand let me know.

Bit of a question with rear brakes, pretty sure mine are 307mm diameter, i take it the jap spec ones are 307, and the uk ones are the larger diameter?

The J spec have 2 piston calipers on the front and single piston calipers on the back. Uk's are 4 at the front and 2 at the back not so sure on the disk sizes though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Heya guys, finally got a chance to do some work on the soop, and its all fully mot'd and running now, need to get some new rear shocks though if anyone has any suggestions on which to get? The only other problem im having is that the car is really flat when it drives. It wont rev past 6000 rpm at all, and id goes as far as saying its actually slower than my is200 at the moment. Really struggles to get past 100mph, any ideas?