The mkiv Supra Owners Club

carbonetics triple clutch issus again !

scoooby slayer

I think this thread is being a bit unfair towards the Carbonetic Clutch. Scoobyslayer's issues were obviously nothing to do with the clutch itself. Mark's clutch problems has yet to be solved.

I had a similar problem on my own car but fitting a new clutch master cylinder has fixed that one which I have suggested to Mark.

Carbonetic Europes reply on this subject is as follows:

"We do not class the clutch as a full carbon clutch, the friction material used is called carbon/carbon, all other manufactures use a different type of carbon to us, and theirs is pan type fibre. Looks similar to CFRP, its fine as a friction material but it requires heat in order to achieve maximum performance, its life span is not as long either and it cannot withstand higher temperatures.

The images on those forums, those clutches have been slipped beyond belief, for them to turn blue it means a massive amount of heat has been transferred through the clutch. The reason I would say they are “sticking” is because the metal plates are warped way beyond any tolerable level.

These clutches are not meant to be slipped, we have always advised them never to be slipped and the best way to use our triple plate for drag racing is to side step or drop the clutch, if you sit there slipping it for a prolonged period of time you are going to warp it. If those images are of your customers car that explains why the clutch isn’t working correctly! That clutch needs rebuilding, bedding in again and then if they are going to use it for drag racing, they cannot slip the clutch they will have to use another launch technique.

Engagement problems, are nearly always down to warped pressure plates and intermediate plates. If those pictures are of his clutch, then they are warped. They are warped from drag racing or hard launches when the clutch is to new or excessive slipping of the clutch even after its been bedded in.

The customer should know from the instructions that he cannot slip the clutch for prolonged periods, 3 seconds max we recommend.

There are only two ways the clutch warps, from either bad installation (we know this isn’t the case) or from abuse to the clutch by not giving it a long enough bed in or its just been slipped. The clutch won’t warp by itself, it needs a little help from the user. "

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you expect them to say anything else?

Well no but which company wouldn't. It doesn't mean to say that there wrong does it? They have identified the discolouration of the disc's and pointed to slippage.

Im not saying that its totally the users fault as it could be hydraulic related issue which has caused the mass slippage but you cant rule user error totally out.

Oh and we've been using Carbonetic clutches in our own cars for years. Steve Lintons race car has had his for about 3 years worth of constant abuse, Time Attacking, Racing and a bit of drag racing to, zero problems. I've had one in my own car for about the same time and again years of Time Attack and track use and only until recently have had problems similar to what Mark is experiencing which has turned out to be the clutch master cylinder, nothing to do with the clutch itself. And we also used one in our Time Attack RX7, again zero problems.

I had an RPS carbon carbon a few years back and that literally fell apart, since then I've never looked back.

These are in my mind the best clutches available.

Well no but which company wouldn't. It doesn't mean to say that there wrong does it? They have identified the colour discolouration of the disc's.

Im not saying that its totally the users fault as it could be hydraulic related issue but you cant rule it out.

Im not saying anything they have said is wrong or right, just the response is what you would expect, have you ever heard a company put there hands up and say "fair shout, the product is cr@p, have your money back sir" try sending a turbo back to Precision with melted blades, you will get back "foreign object has passed through the turbo"

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Yeah I totally agree with that.

I've had a few issues similar in the past even from the likes of Mercedes. A manufacturer will always defend its product it to the end.

Edit: Just seen the previous post on the last page about it being the flywheel bolts so I guess this is all resolved now and I feel a k@ob as I thought this was Marks thread. Oops :D

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

I think this thread is being a bit unfair towards the Carbonetic Clutch. Scoobyslayer's issues were obviously nothing to do with the clutch itself. Mark's clutch problems has yet to be solved.

I had a similar problem on my own car but fitting a new clutch master cylinder has fixed that one which I have suggested to Mark.

Carbonetic Europes reply on this subject is as follows:

"We do not class the clutch as a full carbon clutch, the friction material used is called carbon/carbon, all other manufactures use a different type of carbon to us, and theirs is pan type fibre. Looks similar to CFRP, its fine as a friction material but it requires heat in order to achieve maximum performance, its life span is not as long either and it cannot withstand higher temperatures.

The images on those forums, those clutches have been slipped beyond belief, for them to turn blue it means a massive amount of heat has been transferred through the clutch. The reason I would say they are “sticking” is because the metal plates are warped way beyond any tolerable level.

These clutches are not meant to be slipped, we have always advised them never to be slipped and the best way to use our triple plate for drag racing is to side step or drop the clutch, if you sit there slipping it for a prolonged period of time you are going to warp it. If those images are of your customers car that explains why the clutch isn’t working correctly! That clutch needs rebuilding, bedding in again and then if they are going to use it for drag racing, they cannot slip the clutch they will have to use another launch technique.

Engagement problems, are nearly always down to warped pressure plates and intermediate plates. If those pictures are of his clutch, then they are warped. They are warped from drag racing or hard launches when the clutch is to new or excessive slipping of the clutch even after its been bedded in.

The customer should know from the instructions that he cannot slip the clutch for prolonged periods, 3 seconds max we recommend.

There are only two ways the clutch warps, from either bad installation (we know this isn’t the case) or from abuse to the clutch by not giving it a long enough bed in or its just been slipped. The clutch won’t warp by itself, it needs a little help from the user. "

the outer most plate is warped 0.5mm on the outside edge so within carbonetics tolerances, the reason mine has got hot is a flywheel bolt has fell out and jammed in the clutch not letting the outer clutch plate release so slipping it all the way home, i checked with carbonetics and it was all within max tolerances of wear and warpage, reinstalled earlier and the clutch is working perfect, infact better than its ever been.

im at pod in 10 days so il see how it goes up there, on my previous launches its probably had about 1 second of slip, if she holds together then the carbonetics will be staying.

I read some paper on heat energy dissipation in clutches used in commercial vehicles, and for drag racing, the energy figures were astonishing. This is why F3 and F1 went to full carbon / carbon clutches as the material just grips better the hotter it gets (within reason, near white hot is not an issue). They could make very low inertia units without having the high heat sink capability of 11 inch plus diameter clutches and associiated huge flywheels. The problem then, with carbon / carbon clutch assemblies is protecting the metal diaphragm spring from the heat so it doesn't lose its temper. Circuit racing is what I would want my owner to do with me, if I were a motor sports car, definitely NOT drag racing ;)