The mkiv Supra Owners Club

carbonetics triple clutch issus again !

scoooby slayer

Been running a twin plate 7" cerametallic Tilton on the mr2 for years, and has took everything I've thrown at it.

Can slip it all you like or side step the clutch at 8k and itl just grab and go.

They tend to be super light aswell, my whole clutch assembly, including flywheel comes in at 13lb's!

Has had numerous road, drag, dyno, event miles without issue or needing rebuilding over 4-5 years and when I had last it out, the plates still looked like new.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ive just took the gearbox off and 2 of the flywheel bolts have come loose !

1 of the bolts has come out so far that the clutch has smashed the head off the bolt and the bolt has been rattling around inside !

i think the bolt head has got jammed somehow and prevented the clutch from fully disengageing causing me my gear selection problems.

the carbon plates look as new, the metal plates inbetween have abit of blueing but seem perfectly flat still.

so it looks like just not installed properly, the flywheel bolts wernt even locktighted !

im tempted to just fit a new bolt and fit it all back in tbh.

do your clutch plates show any signs of blueing jp ?

I never noticed last time it was out, might be having clutch issues myself now.:rolleyes:

At suprapod i had a problem with the peddle being slow to return, at high revs it would take a couple of seconds to come back up, Lee changed the master and slave cylinder for new ones, replaced all lines and fluids and the problem went away.

Today i went to santapod to see the boys racing, on the way home it did it to me again a couple of times, might be a clutch issue, the last couple of years its done a lot of work, think i will just order a RPS triple now and send the twin back to be checked.

i have just micked up all the clutch parts carbonetics say if a metal plate is warped to 0.6mm or above it must be replaced.

i have top cover warped to 0.508mm

second metal plate warped to 0.22mm

bottom plate and flywheel are perfectly flat.

clutch plate wear total is 0.4mm across all plates, so it looks to me i have gained 0.7mm in warpage but lost 0.4mm in wear so only 0.3mm out from new which is acceptabe imo.

and within carbonetics tolerances so fingers crossed it will be ok to go again.

i have just found this passage from supra forums :

I have had the RPS triple in for about 8 mo. I have only been at the track and on the dyno once with this clutch in. It held up great on the dyno putting down well over 900whp. I did not have any probs with it at the track either. Three times the failure with the Carbonetics clutch was with the Carbon coated metal plates (they are coated with carbon to help break in). They can't handle the heat and warp. It doen't take much warpage to lockup the clutch. I went through all of there break in pro's and warming of the clutch before runs. Carbonetics was with me during a lot of the testing at the track. They came out with the nine plate carbon carbon which has no metal plates between the carbon plates. They designed it this way due to the failures of the last clutches. If you talk to them now they will tell you not to use there clutches for drag racing. The million dollar one off proto type failed because the basket design. It could not handle the added plates which made the basket to long and weak it started to twist and shattered one disc. They had no spare parts for this clutch.They sent the clutch back to Japan to be inspected. I have not heard back from them so I dont think they are working on a fix. That clutch was the best clutch I have ever had and I wish they redesign the basket and bring it back. I will never say there clutches are bad in fact I like them just dont slip the hell out of them and you will be fine.

these clutches are not good for drag racing as they dont like any slip, the metal plates warp easy.

well ive just refitted the clutch with new arp flywheel bolts, it is better than ever, slave adjusted back to manufacturers position and the pedal is perfect biting point about 1.5" above the floor, no slip at all full bore in 3rd gear :)

blew a ps pipe of now so spat oil everywhere but well chuffed tbh, only cost me £200 total for the ramp and some mechanics to help me.

these clutches are not good for drag racing as they dont like any slip, the metal plates warp easy.

So when they say you have to use half clutch , to warm the clutch up befors a launch ,thats a no no then, because half clutch is slipping the clutch . So what we don't warm it up then .

dont worry mate i have the tolerances from carbonetics of maximum warpage, its 0.6 mm

my top plate is warped to 0.5mm on the outer edge but the clutch is working perfect just only contacting 3/4 of the disc, feels perfect now.

how long is your thrust bearing sleeve ?