The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Considering Selling..!!

Havard

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you a bag of Jelly Beans for it Havard.

I'll raise you to a bigger bag of jelly beans

Can we get some clarity on the size of the bag of jelly beans being offered here?

Paul stop being a tool! :no:

You will regret it totally i can guarantee it.

I am not sure I will. I have a car that I love to look at but don't really enjoy driving. I have thought this from day one and actually thought it would go away. 9 months later, it hasn't..!!

H.

I can understand you wanting to sell because of the TripTronic, but it really sounds like you need to stay in a Supra.

You have typed a few things that suggest you will miss having a Supra and the way you kept parking in front of camera on the Dragonba11, we all know you love the attention it brings;)

I can understand you wanting to sell because of the TripTronic, but it really sounds like you need to stay in a Supra.

You have typed a few things that suggest you will miss having a Supra and the way you kept parking in front of camera on the Dragonba11, we all know you love the attention it brings;)

I will always love the attention. I just want to enjoy the drive more.

Thing is we never drove the NA before we sold it and having a TT was a box that I always wanted to tick. My other boxes include an RS4, 911, 355 and AMV8 Vantage. It's just with having a young family, running a new business and poor weather generally I never seem to get the opportunity to use it and when I do I don't get excited. Even if we had a TT6 I doubt we would use it enough to justify the expense.

Having it under cover is great for condition but it pretty much ruins the opportunity to nip to the shops or go for a spin. I then have to clean the car AGAIN to get it back under cover. The whole thing is getting a bit much now.

If we had a 4 door car that went like a rocket and we weren't overly bothered about it being open to the elements then I think we would enjoy things more.

H.

I totally agree, I'll be round with my 6 speed in a jiffy Paul! Plus loads of room in the back! :D

I do know where you are coming from but I'd test drive one, after a bit you'd be moaning how sensible it is & you want raw power maybe? It is a difficult car to replace as it does tick a lot of boxes! Does make sense to consolidate into one car but would you really use it every day to nip to the shops? Sounds like you need to go out & sit in a bit of traffic.

Why don't you get another decent N/a and have a decent family saloon, you could proberbly do that for £12k ish

Probably. We are really fussy about our choice of cars though. Another NA would end up just sat there I imagine.

I totally agree, I'll be round with my 6 speed in a jiffy Paul! Plus loads of room in the back! :D

I do know where you are coming from but I'd test drive one, after a bit you'd be moaning how sensible it is & you want raw power maybe? It is a difficult car to replace as it does tick a lot of boxes! Does make sense to consolidate into one car but would you really use it every day to nip to the shops? Sounds like you need to go out & sit in a bit of traffic.

I am not sure if I would go for another turbo charged car. I like the idea of a big NA and the controllability of that.

H.

Can we get some clarity on the size of the bag of jelly beans being offered here?

H.

We both know Monsween is from Scotland, and therefore tight, so he most likely meant a small bag. I'll stretch to one of those large bags. :D

Seriously though, I know what you mean about the club and feeling you need a car to be in it. The car isn't the badge you have to have to be in the club. I sold mine and initially thought the same away, but I am still here (sadly for poor Monsween who won't be willing to outbid me in the Jelly Bean stakes). I must warn you though... the moment the car has gone is the moment you want it or another back.

We both know Monsween is from Scotland, and therefore tight, so he most likely meant a small bag. I'll stretch to one of those large bags. :D

Seriously though, I know what you mean about the club and feeling you need a car to be in it. The car isn't the badge you have to have to be in the club. I sold mine and initially thought the same away, but I am still here (sadly for poor Monsween who won't be willing to outbid me in the Jelly Bean stakes). I must warn you though... the moment the car has gone is the moment you want it or another back.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just feel that the TT would be enough and didn't consider the action of actually driving. Even if I had a TT6 I doubt I would get the time to drive it without the kids being around. I am in no rush to make a decision and Mrs H is not happy about letting it go yet, so there is only going to be one winner there...!!:D

Paul, have you ever driven a 6-speed?

Your welcome to take mine for a drive, I'll hopefully have it back on the road next week so I can take a little trip out your way in a couple of weeks if you'd like :)

Have a trip over mate and you may endulge in a brew. I would certainly like a go in a TT6 but I don't think it will change my position on this matter. Even if I like the drive, it's getting the time to use it. I also want Supes to be in A1 condition and feel that it's difficult to keep them A1 if you use them all the time.

H.

Hi Paul IMO you will regret selling the Supe but that is down to you and Vicki , Im thinking the dislikes at then moment are the lack of use , room for the kids, and washing it everytime you use it so it goes under your cover, .....answers use it more lol and in Tiptronic mode all the time ( i do i never have it auto ) youve never had chance to get used to and play with the turbo,s properly, kids in the Audi or Vicki,s Celica, and when you get a new house make sure its got a double garage

It will be difficult as you know replacing the supra with something with the speed -road presence -condition and looks as yours has, but at the end of the day i know bar a few occasions that you have enjoyed the supe ( Pancake run and Dragonball ) the rest of the time your finding it hard to find the "love" for it, how about going back to an n/a and someting like a cheaper BMW 3-5 series for Vicki it dont have to be a M3 or M5 just 4 doors and meaty engine

Cheers

-Ian-

As a few people have already mentioned, get an NA and another car which is sensible. Yes you may not use the Supra too often, but that means it'll be more special when you do drive it. I had one year where I had driven my car less than 350 miles in a year (According to the MOT garage) :D But I'd never sell my Supra as I enjoy the special times I do get her out for a rag. You'll regret it if you do sell up and don't replace it with another Supra ... :(

Now go get yourself a manual Supra NA and see you on the next Dragonball.... Or Le Mans ;)

Edited by KamaSupra (see edit history)

As a few people have already mentioned, get an NA and another car which is sensible. Yes you may not use the Supra too often, but that means it'll be more special when you do drive it. I had one year where I had driven my car less than 350 miles in a year (According to the MOT garage) :D But I'd never sell my Supra as I enjoy the special times I do get her out for a rag. You'll regret it if you do sell up and don't replace it with another Supra ... :(

Now go get yourself a manual Supra NA and see you on the next Dragonball.... Or Le Mans ;)

This was the discussion Vicki and I had earlier on. We really enjoyed the Dragonball and would have felt a bit weird not being in the Supra.

That said, is it really worth insuring and taxing a car that you hardly drive when we could have a car that is fun but use it most days?

It's a balance of money, practicality, the club and common sense. They rarely all go together though do they?

H.

Is there a reason you can't just drive it whenever you like? Weather doesn't matter really unless it's snowing.

Or don't you want to because of the auto?

Just drive the car like any other. Let the auto do the work and enjoy yourself. That's what I do. The only thing I don't use my supe for is the weekly shop, taking the dog to the vets and moving things I can't get in the boot. Going to the tip etc.

Just start using the car more and you won't want to sell it no point having it if you don't drive it to "keep the miles off" or because it's raining.

Don't understand why people don't drive there cars in the rain tbh.

I always enjoy driving the supe. So I always drive it. Why would I deny myself the pleasure? What's your excuse? :p

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Is there a reason you can't just drive it whenever you like? Weather doesn't matter really unless it's snowing.

Or don't you want to because of the auto?

Just drive the car like any other. Let the auto do the work and enjoy yourself. That's what I do. The only thing I don't use my supe for is the weekly shop, taking the dog to the vets and moving things I can't get in the boot. Going to the tip etc.

Just start using the car more and you won't want to sell it no point having it if you don't drive it to "keep the miles off" or because it's raining.

Don't understand why people don't drive there cars in the rain tbh.

I always enjoy driving the supe. So I always drive it. Why would I deny myself the pleasure? What's your excuse? :p

True Mr Guigs,

This car has always been "for best". As a fresh jap import I got it undersealed and have tried to avoid driving it in wet/snow as it would affect it's condition both underneath and with the paint. I can't get out of the habit of treasuring a Supra. I do enjoy having a car that is in that good of a condition and like at the Dragonball where people are looking around them it gives me a buzz. If the car was a "run of the mill beater" (thanks KDW) I wouldn't enjoy the ownership experience as I have OCD when it comes to cars.

Conversely if my Supra was a daily driver and a bit battle scared I wouldn't particularly enjoy owning it. This is an unusual place to be. I love the car, love the club but feel like we should have a change. Maybe it's a decision I will regret but sometimes you need to make mistakes in order to appreciate things more.

As an aside. It has just started pi$$ing down and I am really glad the car is undercover..lol..!!

H.

This was the discussion Vicki and I had earlier on. We really enjoyed the Dragonball and would have felt a bit weird not being in the Supra.

Exactly you enjoyed it and would feel weird not being in a Supra, I think if you sold your Supra and didn't buy another you'd feel you couldn't go on the next Dragonball in a different car. Which means you'd miss out mate :(

That said, is it really worth insuring and taxing a car that you hardly drive when we could have a car that is fun but use it most days?

I hardly drive my car, my car is only used during the spring-summer time when it's a dry day. Once there's rain, snow or salt on the roads she's never out and kept in the garage under a dust cover. I average 600 miles a year in my Supra, but when I do use mine it's always a thrill as it's not used often. Like everyone else is saying, you'll find it hard to find another car which is as much fun but also sensible at the same time. If you sold your TT and bought a tidy NA you would most likely be able to also afford a sensible car at the same time, then just use the Supra every so often as a treat to yourself like I do with mine :)

It's a balance of money, practicality, the club and common sense. They rarely all go together though do they?

H.

Your right they rarely go together, common sense says I should sell my Supra too as I never use it. Yet mines insured and taxed all year round and sat in the garage 8 out of 12 months of the year. But why be sensible when you can have the best of both worlds? ;)

It's your blooming kids forcing you to need a sensible car, it's simple.... sell your kids and the problem is solved :)