The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If you were wanting a step up from the Supra?

AJI

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn`t know what to go for as a step up unless i had a lot more money, tbh what other 500 bhp car can you drive around europe, do 15 hard laps at the ring, drive home again and if it does brake you can fix it yourself fairly cheaply, but then i`m going to say that because i am a true supra nut:)

Tbh, the only cars that I see as a step up in my opinion are the TT Gallardo's and TT R8s, there isn't really much else I would feel is really a street useable upgrade, I love the Corvettes but I would say they are a side step.

I think people are defining a step up in all kinds of individual perspectives here. I'm sure we are talking about personality, credibility, stance, reputation, tunability, standard specs, special features, capabilities on the track, A roads, B roads and motorways and generally the ability to do what you want it to do.

I'm quite suprised no one has mentioned the Aston DB7. Very similar car to a Supra in many respects (2+2 GT with forced induction straight six, RWD) achingly beautiful with THE best badge. Starting from £15k, or £22k+ for the V12 :cool:

Nicer looking than the current Astons IMO

Infact, a 2JZ DB7 would be almost perfect :cool:

I'm quite suprised no one has mentioned the Aston DB7. Very similar car to a Supra in many respects (2+2 GT with forced induction straight six, RWD) achingly beautiful with THE best badge. Starting from £15k, or £22k+ for the V12 :cool:

Nicer looking than the current Astons IMO

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x250/longtits_2007/Aston-Martin-DB7.jpg

Infact, a 2JZ DB7 would be almost perfect :cool:

The badge does have pedigree but the problem I'd have with the DB7 is that it looks too much like the Jags. And most of them are spakkamatic.

But yes, you're right, they are very similar to a Supra but this also means that it maybe wouldn't be a 'step up'.

The Supra is very hard car to step up from without either throwing megga money at it or taking a different direction. I've fancied a change for a while, but couldn't figure out what would work for me. I wanted it to be 'posher', but still able to take on a trackday or 2. The problem with the posh stuff is it costs so much if you pedal it round a track all day. If you can justify the cash then the Astons are pretty close in concept (GT). V8 vantage if you can lose some space, DB9 is similar but flappy, DBS would be ideal with the manual box. I'd definitely have a DBS/V12 Vantage, but then I've just spent 10x the value of the Supra. I even considered a Vanquish with a manual conversion, but you have to be ready for some serious oncost all round. Sagaris is tempting, but they're still replacing engines on them and I couldn't get my DH moutain bike in the back like I can in the Supra. Noble was on the list, but couldn't get past the interior.

I'm probably gong to build something more track orientated (smaller/less weight/more power). It won't be able to replace the Supra though. when I sell it, I know I'll miss it.

ive had a 04 993 c4s, lovely car and stuck to the road like it was on rails, the sound was fookin amazing, tvr griff! frightning nuf said, mate has a 355, not that fast but looks great and again the sound is fantastic, another freind had a 360 for a while, great going car, i loved it but to be honest im gona go for a aston vantage next, love the look and sound of them! like my sup and prob never get rid as id get fook all for it but sometimes i feel a bit embarrased driving it as im hittin forty now and want something more round my age bracket! lol plus the sound of the the big engines!!! ummmmmmm

The badge does have pedigree but the problem I'd have with the DB7 is that it looks too much like the Jags. And most of them are spakkamatic.

But yes, you're right, they are very similar to a Supra but this also means that it maybe wouldn't be a 'step up'.

Given the engine/ drivetrains heritage (a development of the Jag six) I'd expect the auto box and its gear change to be superb.

Like I said though, drop a 2JZ and a six speed in if you want manual :cool:

this is a very difficult question for me.

when i was younger i always said that when i was 25 i would have an R33/R32 GTR. instead i had the Supra TT.

BPU nearly 400BHP, so the next car has to be something equivilent in the speed/power department. and 400BHP is a lot to find in another car.

i am a JDM fan, only had Japanese cars, but i would say id possibly go Porshce Turbo? older ones which i could only afford really.

it would have to be something different & not everyday car. sporty & fast, but for the money of a BPU supra its difficult?

996 turbo will be my next toy (keeping the supra though) pick them up for not much more than 20k these day, Fit a full RSR carbon kit that Nur Motorsport makes., strip it out, tune to 600bhp= weapon, i saw one at Noels today and it blew me away:cool: soon as the V8 supra is finished im gonna out that and im after one of these.

Not tempted with the GT2 Jamie? That's the real man's car... it'll put hairs on your chest if you can stay alive long enough :D

We was tailking about that today, and i would rather one but my pockets are not deep enough to buy and mod the gt2, i could get the turbo where i want it for less money and it would look amazing.

We was tailking about that today, and i would rather one but my pockets are not deep enough to buy and mod the gt2, i could get the turbo where i want it for less money and it would look amazing.

Makes sense. There are some impressive packages out there for the GT3 too - that might make a better base for big power? My main reservation with the turbo is its a great tourer, but I am not sure its raw enough for the sort of car you'll end up hankering for

Makes sense. There are some impressive packages out there for the GT3 too - that might make a better base for big power? My main reservation with the turbo is its a great tourer, but I am not sure its raw enough for the sort of car you'll end up hankering for

Noel has a GT3 an all, nice but not quick enough, the 996 turbo romps it round the track, buts its fully setup and very light, i need turbo power and them looks, i will never sell the supra so i always have that if i need a serious speed fix.

Also the 996 turbo im talking of has 108,000 miles on it, most of that at near on 600bhp, lives on the race track, and aside from a busted heater matrix the owner tells me its been 100% reliable, i wish i took a picture of it now, serious looking car, im hooked:cool: