The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tt o2 sensor-£140 from toyota

Parry_10

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest suprasteve k

Ordered my o2 sensor last night, got email from sparkplugs.co.uk this morning they are out of stock, they are on back order from the uk warehouse which is closed this week they are expecting the order on the 23rd. Thanks to jellybean & TTricheh and others for their input.

Ordered my o2 sensor last night, got email from sparkplugs.co.uk this morning they are out of stock, they are on back order from the uk warehouse which is closed this week they are expecting the order on the 23rd. Thanks to jellybean & TTricheh and others for their input.

That's the same email i got from sparkplugs.co.uk

So why do UK and NA cars have two sensors? Is the second purely to calculate how well the CAT is working or are both used by the ECU?

Edit, just been corrected by CW, the N/A has two sensors that are both of which are used for idle/closed loop control, didn't realise they had a split manifold, doh!

The second O2 sensor on the UK TT because it is situated after/between the two cats has a slower response rate, IE as the ECU adjusts the fueling at idle and closed loop in response to the first O2 sensors output, the second has a delayed/slower reaction, so the ECU is set to read this, so once this delay is beyond pre set spec, the ECU will throw a CEL which will basically mean that the sensor or the cat is bad,

Its not used as a basis for fuel adjustment, like the first sensor.

Just a more expensive way of monitoring cat condition than the JDM TT temp sensor, i suspect the if the code was cleared, you could run without the second sensor, but haven't tried.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

The N/A has two sensors before the cats, and monitor three cylinders each, individually, as the sensors are before the confluence of the pipes.

Really! shows how much i know about the N/A LOL! I'll adjust my last post:slapped::imsorry:

Edit: That very weird, i have just had a look through through the 2JZ GE section of the manual, and as well as not being able to locate the O2 sensor input pins on the ECU, i couldn't find a checking procedure!

Very odd can you throw more light on that Chris?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

It's interesting how the ECU can monitor both sensors and determine the health of the cat/or sensors. Curiously on mine I have no error light despite both sensors being on for well over thier estimated life span(100k+), I guess if both sensors deteriate at the same rate then the ecu will only see lean? It can only know theres a problem if only one of the sensors has failed?

It's interesting how the ECU can monitor both sensors and determine the health of the cat/or sensors. Curiously on mine I have no error light despite both sensors being on for well over thier estimated life span(100k+), I guess if both sensors deteriate at the same rate then the ecu will only see lean? It can only know theres a problem if only one of the sensors has failed?

You don't get a warning light when the oxygen sensors are worn out, the ECU just defaults to a rich map resulting in a loss in power and poor fuel economy.

So far as I'm aware

the N/A ECU runs the injectors in sequential mode, and in that case i would guess that the two O2 sensors output is averaged, so in theory if one sensor went down the ECU should be able to detect and throw a CEL, just as if they both failed or became sluggish.

And if they are both before the cat then there would be no indication of the cat condition.

I've just received this email from sparkplugs.co.uk still no o2 sensor looks like i will have to wait longer :-(

Hello Sir,

I am afraid that Denso have just informed us that they misinformed us and do not have DOX-0228 in stock, it is on back order and as such should be in stock towards the end of next week. I am so sorry for the extended delay, I hope it does not cause any inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Dolan

I've just received this email from sparkplugs.co.uk still no o2 sensor looks like i will have to wait longer :-(

Hello Sir,

I am afraid that Denso have just informed us that they misinformed us and do not have DOX-0228 in stock, it is on back order and as such should be in stock towards the end of next week. I am so sorry for the extended delay, I hope it does not cause any inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Dolan

Exact same message i got. If its not here by the end of next week....:spank:

when do you know you need a new one?

or shall i just get a new one as they are only cheap?

You can test with a volt meter, it explains the process in HERE. Or if it hasn't been changed in the last 30K miles or you're getting poor mpg then it probably needs changing.

I would only fit a genuine OEM Toyota oxygen sensor personally.