The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tt o2 sensor-£140 from toyota

Parry_10

Cheers Jellybean, but what the OP (and a few others I think) wanted to know is, do any of those sensors work in a J-Spec TT? If so which one, the front or the rear? They are pretty easy to find, I think I found them at around £35ish, but they dont have the same part number as the J-Spec TT's...

He said he was using the one above in his j-spec? The 228 part number corresponds to the front one.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Jellybean, but what the OP (and a few others I think) wanted to know is, do any of those sensors work in a J-Spec TT? If so which one, the front or the rear? They are pretty easy to find, I think I found them at around £35ish, but they dont have the same part number as the J-Spec TT's...

Jspec only has one sensor, UK spec has 2. I and melonman on here use the DOX-0228 in our Jspec's

To be honest the only difference between the models I reckon is the fitting components supplied with the sensor and plug to connect it to the loom. All the Sensors are the same just the fittings distinguish each model from the other. I was talking to Marty and colin to up in SSI , they said the same

Logically if you think about it, Denso make the Lamda sensor for Toyota. This is a denso sensor, how many ways can you read the O2 levels. If you are driving a toyota Corolla or a supra I guarentee all the denso sensors are the same. I think whjat you need to avoid is other manufactures like Bosch, if you stick to denso or OEM which is made by Denso only difference is toyota's mark up

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Looks like I need one of these too.

Does anyone know if the VVT-i variant with part number 89465 - 19725 (as quoted by Nic previously), uses a different sensor type as the ones detailed above.

The numbers detailed above do not match for the VVT-i version.

Edited by Pudsey
correction of english ...doh (see edit history)

At the risk of being branded with a shitty attitude again! for advocating non OEM O2 sensors:blink:

I have always used non branded O2 sensors on a lot of cars, and not had a problem, granted some of the really cheap ones don't last more than 20K as opposed to 30-50, but if they cost £30-40 to replace, its like changing your oil and filter.

They are all made the same way and do exactly the same thing,(Zirconia) so as long as they have the correct fitting (or can be made to fit;)) and have the right number of wires, most are fine, some do have different heater resistance, but its easy to check.

If they fail the ECU responds by throwing a CEL, they will either stick at higher V (rich)(rare) but you would notice a hesitation or miss due to weak AFRs, but as they only operate in closed loop its not going to be on boost so there is little risk of damage any real damage, In any case there is a limit to how much the ECU will compensate either way, or there would be lots of blown engines about, the car makers are not going to risk this for the sake of a £30-170 sensor, its more usual for them to either slow in response or stick at lower volt reading, making the ECU respond with rich mixture, so bad fuel economy, sluggish etc.

N/A are actually likely to suffer more from a bad O2 sensor, as they stay in closed loop longer.

Oh! and don't forget air leaks in the exhaust system can also give the impression of a bad sensor.;)

Thanks and I appreciate your response.

I have carried out the lambda testing procedure, and have asked Ian what his experience is with the data feedback displayed.

If I can get a Denso VVT-i aftermarket version for £40 versus a £150, then I know what I will be purchasing.

I see that the following website http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/ccp/Denso-Lambda-Sensors-ccp.asp , lists the UK sensors, but as you say I reckon a sensor is a sensor to be truthful.

How do you check the heater resistance, just a resistance (ohms) test across the sensor?

The J Spec will need to be the first sensor listed for the UK, as the length of the wire needs to be more than 400mm (displayed for the second sensor).

But just seems a little bit hit and miss, and a punt to me rather than the detail being there.

Like you say worst case scenario is you need to spend again, which wouldn't be great in my opinion.

Cheers Buddy

Jspec only has one sensor, UK spec has 2. I and melonman on here use the DOX-0228 in our Jspec's

Ah ok no worries, I thought you might have been referring to an J-Spec N/A as they have 2 sensors, if it's in a TT then :) and thank you very much :)

edit: also found this? http://www.allcarsallparts.co.uk/product_details.php?productID=195792 £21.25

Edited by aman00123 (see edit history)

Thanks and I appreciate your response.

I have carried out the lambda testing procedure, and have asked Ian what his experience is with the data feedback displayed.

If I can get a Denso VVT-i aftermarket version for £40 versus a £150, then I know what I will be purchasing.

I see that the following website http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/ccp/Denso-Lambda-Sensors-ccp.asp , lists the UK sensors, but as you say I reckon a sensor is a sensor to be truthful.

How do you check the heater resistance, just a resistance (ohms) test across the sensor?

The J Spec will need to be the first sensor listed for the UK, as the length of the wire needs to be more than 400mm (displayed for the second sensor).

But just seems a little bit hit and miss, and a punt to me rather than the detail being there.

Like you say worst case scenario is you need to spend again, which wouldn't be great in my opinion.

Cheers Buddy

Yes heater resistance is just a case of putting a meter across the terminal/wires, not that many have different resistance anyway,

as for wire length and plugs, a lot of the universal ones come with crimp connector's to use with your std plug, because the wire used is usually sliver and needs a good connection, not soldered, but in any case you will find it easier to extend the car side harness if necessary.

Yes heater resistance is just a case of putting a meter across the terminal/wires, not that many have different resistance anyway,

as for wire length and plugs, a lot of the universal ones come with crimp connector's to use with your std plug, because the wire used is usually sliver and needs a good connection, not soldered, but in any case you will find it easier to extend the car side harness if necessary.

just to confirm is FRONT Sensor: DOX-0228 the one for j spec tt if so I will order this off sparkplug website and give it a try and put up some feedback on it on this thread- chris

Ah, thanks for that Tricky Ricky.

Parry_10, I would say that the sensor for a J Spec TT would be the first one, thats only based on the length of the wire provided versus the location of the connector on my VVT-I version (just in front of the turbos at the front of the engine).

The 400 mm one will be too short to reach for sure, but we can always take into account the extension as Tricky Ricky suggests.

Looks like a great match to me.

My car passed the MOT with flying colours after I put both Catalytic Convertors back in, and made sure it was well up to temperature.

I think I will replace the sensor though, as triple the emission limit suggests a lazy or end of life sensor I reckon.

Great news this, top work indeed.