The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ALWAYS check your bonnet is DOWN properly.... Gutted.

Jamesy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, it already had bonnet gas lifters fitted but they didnt hold it in place when it shot open

I think im going to try and get aerocatches fitted to next bonnet as it'll always be on my mind now

The scuttle panel is damaged too and will prob need new bonnet hinges too. Cant really afford all this right now but i want the car back asap so im all over it this week.

Sorry to hear this, had the same thing happen to mine, mine did the roof, bonnet, scuttle and windscreen so looks like you got off easy ;). Does it at least close as it is? When baldy repaired my bonnet (aftermarket) he thickned up the metal bonnet catches, worth checking the clasping bits over as well. At least you are in one peice and although it's money it should be an easy enough fix. :)

No way will it close lol. That pic on first page is as far as it goes down after i peeled it back from the windscreen. Its properly bent in half....not even t-cut will get it out!!!! :)

No way will it close lol. That pic on first page is as far as it goes down after i peeled it back from the windscreen. Its properly bent in half....not even t-cut will get it out!!!! :)

Don't exaggerate Jamesy. T-cut will fix everything..!!

In theory this can't happen as the safety catch will still hold it down until it's manually released from under the leading edge of the bonnet. I sometimes find they are a bit seized so always make a point of freeing them off and oiling them when servicing a car. Why did it not hold on yours? Could have been a lot worse, had a customers Lexus in last year and the carbon bonnet didn't fit well, nor, unknown to me, did it have any safety catch. Screen and dents to the roof and scrap bonnet...... Roof dents are nightmares to repair unobtrusively.

In theory this can't happen as the safety catch will still hold it down until it's manually released from under the leading edge of the bonnet. I sometimes find they are a bit seized so always make a point of freeing them off and oiling them when servicing a car. Why did it not hold on yours? Could have been a lot worse, had a customers Lexus in last year and the carbon bonnet didn't fit well, nor, unknown to me, did it have any safety catch. Screen and dents to the roof and scrap bonnet...... Roof dents are nightmares to repair unobtrusively.

Thanx Chris. We checked the bonnet catch after and it was a bit 'limp'. Glad the roof wasnt damaged but still very, very p!ssed off.

Can't see the point of bonnet catches bud. If you had shut like a man instead of your girly attempt it wouldn't of happened:p

Bite me!!! :D

Thanx mate

I have been busy trying to get it back while the sun's out;

New windscreen is in

Scuttle panel on its way from Keron

Aero catches ordered

Couple of possible bonnets

Lee has been fantastic in helping out, store it and get it prepped ready for it being fixed :thumbs:

To be honest I wouldn't bother with aero catches, unless you like the look or possibly want to change for a carbon/fibreglass bonnet in the future.

As long as your latch is in good mechanical order this will never happen again. In fact I'm guessing this is the reason I didn't have a similar tale of woe a week or 2 back... my latch did it's job even though it wasn't closed properly.

To be honest I wouldn't bother with aero catches, unless you like the look or possibly want to change for a carbon/fibreglass bonnet in the future.

As long as your latch is in good mechanical order this will never happen again. In fact I'm guessing this is the reason I didn't have a similar tale of woe a week or 2 back... my latch did it's job even though it wasn't closed properly.

I know you're right mate but i wont be driving it until its got the extra peace of mind via the aero catches - not really a massive fan of the look, but its fairly nice on the eye.... but i will feel a whole lot better with them on :)