The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ALWAYS check your bonnet is DOWN properly.... Gutted.

Jamesy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see this Jamesy, but I have had a bonnet flip on me because my friend didn't close it after putting some wedding ribbons on. I didn't think anything of it as I had been driving around all day and as I was doing below 30mph didn't notice it at all, got on the motorway & as I was picking up speed, BANG!!! I thought I had died! :D

Damage the bonnet, latch, screen, roof! Really shook me up but luckily managed to brake within my lane, even though it was in a bend! (Well been down this road quite a few times so was double lucky!).

Hope you find the bonnet soon but sods law none are avalible near you.

Ok we're making progress,

The new windscreen is in

New scuttle panel fitted

New wiper blades ordered

......just need a bloody bonnet!!!

AND check this out, proper SRD treatment, even polished the engine bay for me again :cool:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/jamesbush/affe2f62.jpg

Very nice picture. Wouldn't mind an engine bay like this.

Hope you get your bonnet sorted mate, good luck :)

Ouch nasty. What I can't understand is why the centre catch did not hold. About 6 years ago I was checking out the brakes after a fluid change and did not shut the bonnet fully. Went out onto the road and did a circuit of my local test track, at about 50mph the bonnet lifted, but the centre catch held it, I stop and shut the bonnet and the bonnet was fine. I know it does not help you, but I would be looking at fitting a new centre catch and mountings. I wonder if the bonnet lifters had anything to do with it? I did not have any when my bonnet lifted.

Ouch nasty. What I can't understand is why the centre catch did not hold. About 6 years ago I was checking out the brakes after a fluid change and did not shut the bonnet fully. Went out onto the road and did a circuit of my local test track, at about 50mph the bonnet lifted, but the centre catch held it, I stop and shut the bonnet and the bonnet was fine. I know it does not help you, but I would be looking at fitting a new centre catch and mountings. I wonder if the bonnet lifters had anything to do with it? I did not have any when my bonnet lifted.

Yeah we checked the bonnet catch after and it was quite "limp" - im still fitting aerocatches next time for added peace of mind!

Did not see Chris's comment before I posted, sorry to bring it up again.

BMW E46 secondary catches suffer badly from this , I have work on three now that needed blasting with WD40 and a lot of forcing the thing to move and free up to get them to "catch properly". Certainly worth a check at every oil change as a minimum, as catches get older springs and the pivots will weaken and the pivot point will get rough. Aero catches sound like a good idea, not much chance of leaving them undone

Did not see Chris's comment before I posted, sorry to bring it up again.

BMW E46 secondary catches suffer badly from this , I have work on three now that needed blasting with WD40 and a lot of forcing the thing to move and free up to get them to "catch properly". Certainly worth a check at every oil change as a minimum, as catches get older springs and the pivots will weaken and the pivot point will get rough. Aero catches sound like a good idea, not much chance of leaving them undone

Yeha i will be sure to check my stock catch spring regularly, and thos eaerocatches will be bolted down too - if it still happens again im buying a motorbike and selling this!!

was driving along2 days ago noticed my bonnet was bouncing to a different tune to the car! once catch wasn't shut down properly, luckily i didnt go over 50mph but slowed right down. was nearly another wrecked supra bonnet! dam catchs :@

Yeha i will be sure to check my stock catch spring regularly, and thos eaerocatches will be bolted down too - if it still happens again im buying a motorbike and selling this!!

Just make sure you check it every time you drive. Or don't show off your engine bay :p

Waaaaaaahoooooo got the car back after fitting the bonnet with Lee!! Feels sooo good to be back in it, altho im still nervous the bonnet will flip up again.

Big thanx to SRD for getting everything ready and fixed, and Nancy for polishing the engine ;)

Next step.... Bonnet to be sprayed intime for Japfest!!