The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My New Supra !

Supra-duper

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facelift Front Lights (unless they've just been painted?)

Congratulations on the motor and welcome to the club :thumbs:

The headlights look like they have been painted, if they are pre-facelift they will have the small side light inside (3 main lights + small side light), if they are facelift they won't.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today I tackled a minor but all important task. The headlights were yellowing slightly and making the front end look dated. I stumbled upon a youtube video of someone cleaning up there headlights with toothpaste, and thought i may as well try it for myself.

Here are the results on the drivers side headlight, slight but definitely a difference!

And the product used, believe it or not!

Obviously I have done the nearside to match, but overall not a bad job for a grand total of £0 and 15 minutes time. :)

Congratulations on the motor and welcome to the club :thumbs:

The headlights look like they have been painted, if they are pre-facelift they will have the small side light inside (3 main lights + small side light), if they are facelift they won't.

They are facelift headlights, the facelift lights have a dark grey inner as standard, yours look black, although it could just be the photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the stereo system that was in the car was dia. A previous owner had hacked the standard front speaker boxes apart to fit some other speakers into. The job wasn't the best and left holes etc.

Having seen the template on here, I made up some quick speaker brackets out of 18mm MDF. After a first trial fit the door card didn't fit at all so some modifications were made, then mounted a new pair of MB Quartz 6.5" Components into the brackets.

Whilst i was there I decided to sound deaden and seal the doors as best I could to improve the exceptionally poor mid-bass at present. I used Silent Coat Vibro Damping Door Kit from Caraudiodirect & then used a combination of the Silent Coat and Regular Flashing Tape to seal the doors up.

Here's a picture of the outer door skin:

& With the brackets in place and fully sealed:

Here's the door card deadened with dynamat done by a previous owner:

The result is outstanding, the mid bass exists now and the doors feel solid when you close them. Will be removing the rear speakers, as they sound naff and really no need for them. Also have tweeters mounted to the door cards as well but will post pics of that up when I've settled with the position of them.

To go with the new speakers, I've also invested in a Pioneer AVH-3200DVD which should suffice for playing songs from my ipod. Will have some pics of the unit fitted along with the dash panels painted in the next day or two.

Edited by Supra-duper (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the stereo install over the weekend, fitted a new armrest section (off keron on here - highly recommended), fitted painted dash panels, removed the front number plate but will be back on for road use and gave her a clean! :D

Should be on the road by the end of the week ;)

Well, today I tackled a minor but all important task. The headlights were yellowing slightly and making the front end look dated. I stumbled upon a youtube video of someone cleaning up there headlights with toothpaste, and thought i may as well try it for myself.

Here are the results on the drivers side headlight, slight but definitely a difference!

http://i52.tinypic.com/28hzhhw.jpg

And the product used, believe it or not!

http://i55.tinypic.com/20pc415.jpg

Obviously I have done the nearside to match, but overall not a bad job for a grand total of £0 and 15 minutes time. :)

Haha I did the same thing after watching the same video a few months ago and it works really well. by the way congrats on the car I really like it (including the stripe).

Haha I did the same thing after watching the same video a few months ago and it works really well. by the way congrats on the car I really like it (including the stripe).

I was sceptical at first and everyone thought i was a plonker using toothpaste but I was suprised and like you say it really works!

& cheers :)