The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual

Guest 2JZ-FTW

LMFAO Love some of the replies. So are they that bad on mpg? a few places claimed 25mpg lol. How much would a full tank cost and what kind of miles can i expect to a full tank?

They'll do 25 mpg cruising at 60mph on stock wheels. Around town its more like 18. You'll get anywhere from 350 - 450 on a tank based on my experience (80 litres on UK cars). Having said that one time I only got 140 miles out of a full tank, but that was at the Ring :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LMFAO Love some of the replies. So are they that bad on mpg? a few places claimed 25mpg lol. How much would a full tank cost and what kind of miles can i expect to a full tank?

Well, I drive the NA version... its not all that good on fuel. But I think its just my one.. I can push nearly 170 miles from a full-ish tank (£60). I went from Kent to Ipswich and back for £45 on motorways at about 70-80mph.. it does touch your wallet, how does £200 a tyre sound on 18's? Thats what ive got currently..

From driving a lot of exotic cars, I can tell you for the performance they return really good MPG.

Here is my thread of where I managed 353 miles in one tank driving to France and back in the Supe.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233176-353-Miles-In-One-Tank

And that was including having a race with a couple of bikes! :eyebrows:

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Lol well to be honest i'd want some 17's back on there to be honest. The only think wrong with the motor that he's mentioned is the speedo cust out every now and again? are they cable on the supra's? i know its an old car but lets face it they were built by japs ;)

With the current zorst on it i'd need to get rid of one of the cats? Fit a fuel cut defender, uprate the plugs and a uprated fuel pump?

Lol well to be honest i'd want some 17's back on there to be honest. The only think wrong with the motor that he's mentioned is the speedo cust out every now and again? are they cable on the supra's? i know its an old car but lets face it they were built by japs ;)

With the current zorst on it i'd need to get rid of one of the cats? Fit a fuel cut defender, uprate the plugs and a uprated fuel pump?

you will need a restrictor ring to prevent over boosting as well check bpu out.

I had an N/A manual, I now have a TT6 and an N/A auto, the manual is much more enjoyable (for me) on the sunday drives, but around town, the Auto is really nice(mainly because I'm plain lazy).

But different people prefer different things so as said already, try and get a go in both.

Anyone have any idea how hard it is to fix the speedo or know anyone that could do it?

Best case scenario is its a loose connection and an easy fix or it could be a dodgy loom but there are loads of members on here that are always willing to help other members out. I would but I don't have a clue lol

What a lot of potential new owners don't seem to realise, is that while open market prices of MKIV's have dropped, the cost of running them has increased, if you add in the age factor the running costs are likely to be higher than they were a couple of years ago. Insurance premiums are set to rise steeply during the year so be prepared for a big hike next year. We will soon reach a point where running costs for a year are going to easily exceed the value of the car. You really can't cut corners when maintaining these cars, so what may initially seem like a cheap way into big bhp/£, can hit your wallet hard.

What a lot of potential new owners don't seem to realise, is that while open market prices of MKIV's have dropped, the cost of running them has increased, if you add in the age factor the running costs are likely to be higher than they were a couple of years ago. Insurance premiums are set to rise steeply during the year so be prepared for a big hike next year. We will soon reach a point where running costs for a year are going to easily exceed the value of the car. You really can't cut corners when maintaining these cars, so what may initially seem like a cheap way into big bhp/£, can hit your wallet hard.
Well said Phil, I guess a lot of youngsters see it as a quick way to get into high BHP.

when i looked into auto vs. manual i found the only difference really was the price.

Manuals are a lot more expensive than autos for e.g. the same car would have 3 to £4,000 added on just for being a manual. I was looking to buy a 3.0 TT manual for 11,000 but found a lower milage better condition auto 3.0 TT for 6,500.

Speed wise, the auto is just as fast as the manual.

Obviously the only difference is that you have more fun in the manual, if you have the spare cash to splash.

I thought the UKs models were better as they came with all the bits and bobs as standard extras like cruise control etc etc..... most JSpec's do not have these

they certainly are, but we won't start a debate as I wouldn't want someone to fail so hard they cry themselves to death:whistle:

Waits for the ensuing argument :hide:

Good advice Phil and definitely worth listening to for anyone considering buying their first Supra.

2JZ-FTW the car you are considering is a 1993 model, so 17 years old, the Supra is generally very reliable if properly maintained and serviced, but parts wear with age and mileage.

Engine wise provided it has been regularly serviced and has not been thrashed then it should be okay for many miles, ancillaries like pumps, crank pulley, coil packs, oil seals etc. can wear and need replacing over time.

The area I would check very carefully would be the suspension components: bushes, joints, springs, dampers, etc. It's expensive replacing the many suspension components eg. one new rear upper arm will cost you £200+ then you have labour on top of that.

Ideally I would see if you can get an experienced member to go with you to view the car or even better get it checked by a local garage on a ramp.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Good advice Phil and definitely worth listening to for anyone considering buying their first Supra.

2JZ-FTW the car you are considering is a 1993 model, so 17 years old, the Supra is generally very reliable if properly maintained and serviced, but parts wear with age and mileage.

Engine wise provided it has been regularly serviced and has not been thrashed then it should be okay for many miles, ancillaries like pumps, crank pulley, coil packs, oil seals etc. can wear and need replacing over time.

The area I would check very carefully would be the suspension components: bushes, joints, springs, dampers, etc. It's expensive replacing the many suspension components eg. one new rear upper will cost you £200+ then you have labour on top of that.

Ideally I would see if you can get an experienced member to go with you to view the car or even better get it checked by a local garage on a ramp.

Sound advise right there.

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Thanks again for the advice. The quote i had was from Sky Insurance. Very good indeed, they quoted me on a supra think they did it on a RZ model pretty sure they classed it as an import. £900 was the best i've had anywhere so i cant really moan, they managed to bring my megane down by £700 and lower my excess by £350 too.

What really grinds me is i'm 26 with nearly 8yrs driving/ncb, no points and i still cant insure certain variants of cars. Will have to goto a midlands meet next time theres one over in the west and meet some of you lot, will feel a bit of a tool in a megane tho lol.

This guy seems very willing to swap so i'm a bit suspiucious...

It seems cheap, I would really get it thoroughly checked out before doing a deal, buying cheap could mean there are underlying problems which could end up costing you a big wodge of money to put right.

It's not a car to be honest that I would even consider buying. Body kits and vented bonnets may make it 'look' good, but if I was in the market I'd be looking for a clean stock example.

The combined vented bonnet and vented fuse box is very special!!! :wtf:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7852/picture1aq.jpg