The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Good advice Phil and definitely worth listening to for anyone considering buying their first Supra.

2JZ-FTW the car you are considering is a 1993 model, so 17 years old, the Supra is generally very reliable if properly maintained and serviced, but parts wear with age and mileage.

Engine wise provided it has been regularly serviced and has not been thrashed then it should be okay for many miles, ancillaries like pumps, crank pulley, coil packs, oil seals etc. can wear and need replacing over time.

The area I would check very carefully would be the suspension components: bushes, joints, springs, dampers, etc. It's expensive replacing the many suspension components eg. one new rear upper will cost you £200+ then you have labour on top of that.

Ideally I would see if you can get an experienced member to go with you to view the car or even better get it checked by a local garage on a ramp.

Good to know, also I find the sump seals seem to leak after a while of owning the car. Nothing major that you need to worry about, as it would cost a few days labour to get to it - just keep an eye on oil levels.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems cheap, I would really get it thoroughly checked out before doing a deal, buying cheap could mean there are underlying problems which could end up costing you a big wodge of money to put right.

It's not a car to be honest that I would even consider buying. Body kits and vented bonnets may make it 'look' good, but if I was in the market I'd be looking for a clean stock example.

The combined vented bonnet and vented fuse box is very special!!! :wtf:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7852/picture1aq.jpg

i would imagine water in the fuse box is the last thing you want :)

why do you need to vent a fuse box anyway. lol

What a lot of potential new owners don't seem to realise, is that while open market prices of MKIV's have dropped, the cost of running them has increased, if you add in the age factor the running costs are likely to be higher than they were a couple of years ago. Insurance premiums are set to rise steeply during the year so be prepared for a big hike next year. We will soon reach a point where running costs for a year are going to easily exceed the value of the car. You really can't cut corners when maintaining these cars, so what may initially seem like a cheap way into big bhp/£, can hit your wallet hard.

Exactly the reason for my Signature :)

The combined vented bonnet and vented fuse box is very special!!! :wtf:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7852/picture1aq.jpg

Ahhhh, at last the BPU +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++99+1 we all know water cooled relays are worth a good 50bhp, I'll never know why Toyota did not include that as standard.

I would walk away from this one, looks like a whole lot of trouble could come it. Not trying to offend, but you need to know a lot more about these cars before you go and buy, and whatever you do do not buy the first one you drive. Get along to some local meets take a look at some cars, then go and test drive some with no intention of buying (trade sales only). Then when you have decided what you want, take your time and you will get a good car. It is a buyers market to don't rush buy with your head.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Well i'm hoping to stick around and get to know the motors, to be honest i would love a manual, if i could afford imi's i'd buy it tomorrow ;)

Everyone keeps saying to go for a Jap car and these are the daddys for me.

I'll steer clear on that one then hehe

Some good advice in this thread and a wealth of info on others. Take your time, test-drive multiple variants and know what you are getting yourself into.

mines obviously for sale however it's a different beast altogether, personally wouldn't recommend it as a 1st RWD car - it's too much power for the inexperienced.

Imi

Guest 2JZ-FTW

True words mate but i respect power, i dont just jump in and expect to be Sebastien Loeb hehe.

Can someone shed some light on the varients like RZ and all the like?

Autotrader £6.5-£7K........both silver one manual and one auto (Movistars on here).....these imo are the sort of cars that are most likely to see you right.

1) Unmodded and ok/well maintained and i'd expect very few problems/bills

2) Modded raises the possibilities of problems but you generally get the price of the mod's for 'free' (if you are going to BPU or mod a standard car then it's more cost effective to buy pre modded) so a risk with reward situation and one in which most of the time you will be fine....

3) Modded and poor maintenance moves you into the potential for big bills (turbo's, oil pump, heater matrix etc).

The problem is most new buyers these days are seemingly snared by the 'lookers' and the blinged up and cheap (on paper) 3)'s seem to get snapped up more than the nice and tidy but stock/'bland' 1)'s