The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twins Project

johnny g

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, good point, bad point time.

Good point: Delivered the fuel bits to Hodge for him to have powder coated and assembled to make the job a little quicker. Also Mrs Hodge made a belting muffin for me. Lovely.

Bad point: Titan cannot fulfil cam orders for the VVTi for the next 2-4 months.

This basically means I've got to look at other cam options. I've dug out some information, and what I've seen is:

Stock: Duration: 248 - Lift: 8.56 - Lift @ 0.050": 200

Tomei: Duration: 264 - Lift: 9.50 - Lift @ 0.050": 227

Brian Crower S2: Duration: 264 - Lift: 8.74 - Lift @ 0.050": 218

Brian Crower S3: Duration: 272 - Lift: 9.52 - Lift @ 0.050": 229

Titan 264: Duration: 264 - Lift: 9.35 - Lift @ 0.050": ???

Titan 272: Duration: 272 - Lift: 9.9 - Lift @ 0.050": ???

HKS 264 VVTi: Duration: 264 - Lift: 8.6 - Lift @ 0.050": ???

The Titan ones are 9.35mm lift, so I think I'll go Titan, still.

So, I'm tilting towards the Crowers S3 cams now, with the 272's. Any thoughts?

Crower 264's are not 8.74 lift, they're 9.52,

Why don't you go with the Titian ones and just shove a stock one in for the moment, then when it's ready whip it out, swap it over, and a quick tweak of the map?

I personally would be running HKS in & out, but that's just me

Crower 264's are not 8.74 lift, they're 9.52,

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota/2jzge.shtml - they're the VVTi ones in there matey, they show the 264's as 8.74; the non VVTi 264's are 9.52.

Why don't you go with the Titian ones and just shove a stock one in for the moment, then when it's ready whip it out, swap it over, and a quick tweak of the map?

It's a lot of fannying around TBH. Titan aren't expecting any in for 2-4 months - then if they fail QC check, I'll just get p'd off again. I don't want the car off the road at all in the summer, so I can enjoy it I guess.

I might give those BC's a shout - the later reports are all good. I like trying different things.

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota/2jzge.shtml - they're the VVTi ones in there matey, they show the 264's as 8.74; the non VVTi 264's are 9.52.

I wonder if there's a reason for the lower lift on the VVTi intake cams, the HKS VVTi intake cam is also lower lift compared to the non-VVTi intake cam.

Where's Digsy when we need him?

I personally would be running HKS in & out, but that's just me

Yeah me too, tried and tested and all that....

• 1 month later...

The story so far,

I've taken all the bits and bobs off the head so I can give it a bit of a clean before I shim the cams. I'm going to do this off the engine so it makes it easier in the long run. These 272s are interference cams so I don't want to be Messing about indexing everything so nothing hits.

Hopefully I'll get the head all shimmed up this week and also have the old head and turbos off so Johnny can take them away by this Saturday.

The story so far,

I've taken all the bits and bobs off the head so I can give it a bit of a clean before I shim the cams. I'm going to do this off the engine so it makes it easier in the long run. These 272s are interference cams so I don't want to be Messing about indexing everything so nothing hits.

Hopefully I'll get the head all shimmed up this week and also have the old head and turbos off so Johnny can take them away by this Saturday.

There should be two timing marks on the pulley, one for TDC and a second that is about 60 degrees before TDC. The point of the second mark is that it positions the pistons away from the top of the head so you can spin the cams without fear of hitting a piston.

A bit overkill on Toyota's part seeing as the engine is a non-interference, but a nice feature for those of us who have put paid to that! :)

There should be two timing marks on the pulley, one for TDC and a second that is about 60 degrees before TDC. The point of the second mark is that it positions the pistons away from the top of the head so you can spin the cams without fear of hitting a piston.

A bit overkill on Toyota's part seeing as the engine is a non-interference, but a nice feature for those of us who have put paid to that! :)

I can confirm this as this is what I did with mine at the weekend :)