The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt's Single Build Project (HKS GT30R)

wallis

Nice work Matt, sure youre gonna need my help?? Im free every weekend so give me a shout, keeps me out of the pub lol.

mate as soon as i get my turbo kit, im going to need all the help i can get mate..... ill have a slab waiting for you bud!

craig i defo need some advice and help with this engine oil cooler and a sandwich plate....and coilpack clips........and injectors......and fuel pump........the list goes on :blink:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm defo gonna have to come up and see this when its all done Matt, all looks great so far :thumbs:

Hey up dan, how's it going matey, u found a new un yet??

Yeah it's all going ok so far, I'm enjoying it this is the first time in about 5 years that I've actually got my own hands dirty again....lol

it's all good though mate!

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

After abit of advise today really,

Had to have a total rethink over my coolers this morning after getting the tape measure out!

Basically the stock power stearing cooler is just right in the way and its wank pie.

Im changing that for a nice new 10 row 115mm Mocal one which leaves me the room for a 19 row 235mm Mocal one next to it, My plan was to use the 19 row for the auto box cooler and a 10 row 235mm for the engine cooler.

My question is, is that ok or should i swap the 10 row for the auto box and use the 19 row for the engine cooler, from what i have read the stock auto box is my weak link in this set up, so im thinking the bigger the cooler the more of a fighting chance it has?

Your thoughts guys??

HKS don't do an off the shelf GT30 kit for the Supra, which was why I was curious what the spec was.

Hey up nic my kit is as follows mate, its prob not hks then i was just guessing as its a hks kit?

* Genuine HKS 3037S Turbo

* 1.06 A/R exhaust housing

* 4" Inlet Anti-Surge inlet housing

* Manifold to suit the above

* Custom Dump Pipe meeting original front cat / de-cat pipe

* All necessary oil and water feed and return pipes

* Heatshielding to protect surrounding components

Hey up nic my kit is as follows mate, its prob not hks then i was just guessing as its a hks kit?

* Genuine HKS 3037S Turbo

* 1.06 A/R exhaust housing

* 4" Inlet Anti-Surge inlet housing

* Manifold to suit the above

* Custom Dump Pipe meeting original front cat / de-cat pipe

* All necessary oil and water feed and return pipes

* Heatshielding to protect surrounding components

It could be an HKS TO4 kit with smaller HKS GT30 turbo substituted. The HKS kits recirculate the wastegate back into the downpipe, they also have HKS branding on the manifold and pipe work from memory. Do you have any pics?

It could be an HKS TO4 kit with smaller HKS GT30 turbo substituted. The HKS kits recirculate the wastegate back into the downpipe, they also have HKS branding on the manifold and pipe work from memory. Do you have any pics?

Will take pics on Friday mate when I get it :-)

Hey guys,

Been a slow week really with bad weather, as I’m outside in a circus tent it’s not very nice to work in! :(

So the work which ive managed to get done this week is:

Cam belt change,

Rebuilt the front end,

Painted all the aux wheels, spark plug cover and alternator satin black and started to clean the other engine components,

Fitted new water hoses,

attachment.php?attachmentid=115935&d=1282855396

attachment.php?attachmentid=115932&d=1282855396

attachment.php?attachmentid=115933&d=1282855396

attachment.php?attachmentid=115934&d=1282855396

Mounted and fitted the power steering fluid cooler,

attachment.php?attachmentid=115937&d=1282855454

Started the modification on the cold air intake area in the front wing,

Started to do the mock up of the FMIC kit, (to see how tight it’s going to be!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=115936&d=1282855396

I have also had to get new coil pack clips and inserts, cheers Craig you’re a saint

New coil packs also :(

I have also got my other two coolers and fitting kits this week, finally arrived!

attachment.php?attachmentid=115938&d=1282855454

I get my turbo kit on Friday, so can’t wait for that, pics to follow.

The plan is this weekend (bank holiday) to get the whole front end back together with the intercooler finished and the other two coolers fitted, I will hopefully get the turbo fitted and all the gubbins, I also want to finish off the cold air intake system I’m fitting in the driver’s side wing.

I will take loads of pics this weekend of what I’m doing to keep peeps interested ;)

This week I also spoke to Ryan g and he is now mapping the car as soon as I have done the work, the plan is to get everything done in the next week or so and then hit the fuelling side of things the week after.

I really want to get the car done so it’s finished and drives again.

Will keep u posted and thx for all the advice so far guys,

M.

Thursday-3.jpg

Thursday.jpg

Thursday-5.jpg

Thursday-1.jpg

Thursday-2.jpg

Thursday-6.jpg

Thursday-4.jpg

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

Will do a big update tommorrow, with turbo etc.

Tonight I got my turbo kit, HKS induction kit, HKS SSQV BOV, coil packs, coil clips and inserts and a AEM ECU, so its been a busy night going through the stuff.

Big thx to craig and adrian again for bringing the stuff to my house ;)

Work wise i managed to get the engine bay cleaned up and the air induction modification done on the front wing to allow good air flow into the induction side of things, its all turned out really well and looks nice and clean, ready for the turbo kit to be fitted.

I also sorted the clutter out and repositioned the boost controller and alarm cables and vac pipes, so thats also nice and neat.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115972&d=1282943044

attachment.php?attachmentid=115973&d=1282943044

attachment.php?attachmentid=115974&d=1282943044

Also little pic of my mocal oil coolers, before there fitted.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115975&d=1282943044

Cheers,

m.

Friday-bank.jpg

Friday-bank1.jpg

Friday-bank2.jpg

Friday-bank3.jpg

Big update today guys, i had a pretty productive morning.

I painted the head satin black ready for the manifold.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115997&d=1283005780

I then stripped off the turbos from the original manifold to fit to the hks one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115998&d=1283005780

attachment.php?attachmentid=115999&d=1283005780

attachment.php?attachmentid=116000&d=1283005780

After the original manifold was bolted back on, i then heat wrapped the hks manifold and then bolted that to the original, and i must add its a basturd of a job.....lol

attachment.php?attachmentid=116001&d=1283005780

attachment.php?attachmentid=116002&d=1283005972

attachment.php?attachmentid=116005&d=1283005972

I then connected up the oil lines and the water lines and also heat wrapped those, this was also quite a ball ache, but things were starting to take shape.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116003&d=1283005972

attachment.php?attachmentid=116004&d=1283005972

After that i did a quick mock up and then fitted for the induction and first section to the hot side of the intercooler pipiwork with the bov on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116006&d=1283005972

attachment.php?attachmentid=116007&d=1283006193

I added the heat sheild and also checked the clearance on everything, which all looks really good with nothing touching;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=116008&d=1283006193

attachment.php?attachmentid=116009&d=1283006193

attachment.php?attachmentid=116010&d=1283006193

Hope u enoy the pics and will do another update on sunday.

Cheers for the kind words so far,

M.

sat-bank.jpg

sat-bank2.jpg

sat-bank1.jpg

sat-bank6.jpg

sat-bank8.jpg

sat-bank5.jpg

sat-bank3.jpg

sat-bank4.jpg

sat-bank13.jpg

sat-bank7.jpg

sat-bank9.jpg

sat-bank10.jpg

sat-bank11.jpg

sat-bank12.jpg

I added the heat sheild and also checked the clearance on everything, which all looks really good with nothing touching;)

I'd fit a turbo blanket as well, the turbo seems to sit quite high and must be close to the underside of the bonnet.

What angle are the oil lines entering and exiting the turbo? The oil return hose should exit the turbo at 6 O'clock so that the oil drains fully.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Interesting, it looks like you have the same kit as leelbuk ie. using the stock manifold, with a manifold adapter and internally gated turbo, looking forward to seeing the results.

Yeah defo a hks kit, my turbo housings been changed and turned around so it runs on the bottom though, so its slightly diff to leebuk's set up.

What angle are the oil lines entering and exiting the turbo? The oil return hose should exit the turbo at 6 O'clock so that the oil drains fully.

Oil return is running at 6 oclock directly under turbo, the top front pipe is the water line.

I had a nightmare fitting the turbo on mine with a heatshield.

Infact I took the heatshield off and still couldn't close the Bonnet lol. I eventually cut the T4 flange off the manifold, grinding the flutes of the manifold down about 10mm and welding the flange back on.

I had a nightmare fitting the turbo on mine with a heatshield.

Infact I took the heatshield off and still couldn't close the Bonnet lol. I eventually cut the T4 flange off the manifold, grinding the flutes of the manifold down about 10mm and welding the flange back on.

hey up bud, sounds like u had a right game, my turbos about half the size of your bad boy :)