The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sponsor

Guest Suprastar2009

Guest Suprastar2009

Thanks guys, it does appear I've been quite naive about the whole "sponsorship" theory.

Looks like I will be getting a second job and selling the grandmother :D, I still want to build a feature car but im going to look at ways of generating extra income and reducing outgoings to pay for the work / parts I need.

Thankyou all again.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have a search for the yellow chargespeed girls car and see the amount of time and effort that has gone into an n/a car feature worthy.....and again even this car splits opinions to me its probably the best supra ive seen but to a good few until it loses its n/a status the big power guys will see it as nothing more than cosemtic but from a mag point of view its ideal cover material.

if you get costs from the owner it might give you an insight into just how much you need to do these days to get noticed

the vulture in me hopes one day the owners will tire of it and then sell but it will not make a fraction of the time money and effort that has gone into it

Thanks guys, it does appear I've been quite naive about the whole "sponsorship" theory.

Looks like I will be getting a second job and selling the grandmother :D, I still want to build a feature car but im going to look at ways of generating extra income and reducing outgoings to pay for the work / parts I need.

Thankyou all again.

Good for you, you will have earned a lot of respect with those comments. Good luck with the addiction, it is hard to kick.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Realistically the only sponsors that you will get will be from small garages,sprayers and the like, and all they will do is give a discount.

I had a local spray shop "sponsor me", i had his stickers over my car and he gave me a good discount

But that was because i was round there every other week getting something touched up or something new added and painted.

I paid alot of money for all the work i got done, but i did save a lot too.

Your best bet is too get friendly with some local garages, spray shops, spend alot of time there and some money getting work done and then approach them.

They wont build you your car but they may give a good discount for future work for you

wortha go ya never know

I reckon if you were very lucky and spent a lot of money getting a car built at a reputable garage with a lot of documented work you could possibly get a discount on the labour at that garage for having a few stickers on show, going to shows and recommending them etc. That is at an absolute stretch and in my opinion without going down the TB route, or something else really special (SC already done so that's out) then I reckon you are up Jimmy White creak without a paddle.

IMO the above is a good post as its exactly what I did with Paul at Whifbitz. Whifbitz built the engine which cost a fair amount of money. I spoke to paul about a sponsorship deal and we came to an agreement. Lettering was all free and I either got a discount of the labour or aset of pads or something, which if im honest was more than I was expecting.

Best of luck with the project :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Suprastar2009

Just wanted to update everyone on this, thankyou for all those that believed and hahahahahahah to all those that didn't!! I'd like to say a massive thanks to Continental Tyres, Knight-Racer and Opie oils for there recent sponsorship support on the car. I have a couple more I am in touch with at the moment but I'll keep you all updated as things progress, When I get acces to my laptop I'll publish a full build thread detailing the car from when I got until now, an future developments :D

Guest Suprastar2009
Im not understanding this thread really :)

Why not just pay for the car do be done or do it yourself.... Isnt this a way of saying I want my car mint but cant afford to do it. I want things done to mine but unless I have the money it stays as is

Hello Rob hows tricks, as It says in the first post I am working for a community interest organisation helping underprivaliged young kids, the pay isnt great but the money I do have I spend on servicing and maintenance and running it insurance petrol tax etc, I do want my car mint and yes at present it would be difficult for me to do this on my own, so I sees the sponsorship more as a partnership, we're helping each other out, its not like I have to return any items the car benefits as do the sponsors :) and so do I. Theres nothing wrong with a little bit of wheel greasing, I dont understand why I'd pay if I dont have to, theres no shame in it :p and I'm extremely happy

I just dont understand how the sponsors expect to get there money back to build anything that stand out against the crowd will take more than bit of oil some tyres and a bodykit.

You talk as if you expect to respray the car bit of a kit and to start winning shows awards and magazine features i feel you in for a serious reality check my friend

I just dont understand how the sponsors expect to get there money back to build anything that stand out against the crowd will take more than bit of oil some tyres and a bodykit.

You talk as if you expect to respray the car bit of a kit and to start winning shows awards and magazine features i feel you in for a serious reality check my friend

And Wayne would know all about the effort and ££££ you need to put in to build a top notch car, most tuners run their own cars, Paul, Lee, Me, Fensport, Ryan as mobile adverts and TBH the supra is fast becoming 'old hat' there are much more profitable cars to get involved in, as soon as anything wearing Burberry starts buying a particular model of car thats the begining of the end!!!! We are looking at R35 and VXR now as the poss future.

Guest Suprastar2009

In truth I expect nothing, I am passionate about the car yes, and I have spent alot of money on the car already, apprecaited no were in the region of what you have spent, I do inderstand and respect this fact.

It not that there sponsorship will ultimately build the car but it will free up funds to spend on other areas.

I have clearly rubbed some people up the wrong way with this so again I will drop it, I thought it would be of interest, im not trying to tread on toes I just thought you may be interested.

Guest Suprastar2009

Full set of Continental conti2's 2 x 255/40/18 2 x 225/40/18, free genuine carbon fibre Aerocatches (not even on the market yet) and an extra percentage off at Opie on all items :)

Full set of Continental conti2's 2 x 255/40/18 2 x 225/40/18, free genuine carbon fibre Aerocatches (not even on the market yet) and an extra percentage off at Opie on all items :)

You could have at least got some decent size tyres dude.