The mkiv Supra Owners Club

L33 - Finding the problems on my car day pics

L33

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats quite shocking, the water pipe sealed with a bolt is not terrible, done it myself, mind you with a lot more style. stainless allen bolt and decent pipe;):p however the ground oil return is inexcusable, and potentially one of the most potentially dangerous bodges along with the ones that could have caused a petrol leak, mind you the inspection cover for the fuel tank should have just been left off rather than cut and cause a potential fire hazard.

Lucky the belt didn't come off by the look of the mangled tensioner pulley, and removing the sub frame brace rather than do a quick bit of cut and weld on the screamer pipe, what can i say! suffice to say it all should never have been left in that condition, i reckon a 12 year old could do better work.

Great club spirit all those who helped out, well done lads:thumbs:

Sorry to see it in such a state. :(

It looks like it's all just cheap / easy route workmanship. The kind of thing you usually see in a home build.

A lot of people block up there spare water feeds with a bolt and jubilee clip. It's a cheap easy route fix, but it's still a bodge. Not what you would expect from a garage, especially as the plug to do it right costs about £5.

The water pump pulley and the tension pulley damage is likely to have been done by the crank pulley coming apart. Quite possibly caused the belt damage too.

The fuel tank cover trim is because they've added some kind of 90 degree fitting that isn't fitting. If they'd have bought the right fitting, they wouldn't have had to trim it. Obviously the trim they have done is just rubbish.

Powering the pumps from the sub wiring is just laziness and not bothering to run a proper feed from the existing pump wiring or a new feed from the fuse box.

Not making up correct brackets to hold the fuel hose, again is being cheap / lazy.

Replacing the oil sump plug with a sensor (I'm presuming temperature) is actually a benefit. If it's wired in to somewhere anyway...

Intercooler pipes not being deburred is laziness.

Grinding the oil return fitting is laziness, not putting the work in to find the correct fitting.

I'm not sure why you would even want to block off the air-con pipe work. Using a bolt again is laziness / ignorance in knowing that you can do the job 'correctly'.

The screamer pipe is again laziness / taking the easy route. Too much hard work to route it around both the braces that should be there.

There's nothing there that can't be put right, but it looks like you're going to have to spend some £££'s on it to get it as it should be.

For what it is worth I have seen quite a few single supras and a few non single with that brace missing, in fact my silver car had it taken off to fit the screamer in and as I could not tell the difference I left it off, prob stayed that way for 10,000 miles or so. Fuel and oil drain is a bit naughty:blink: In fact the oil is prob a lot more dangerous than the fuel pipes as if the turbo was red hot the oil would go up straight away. I have never seen a crank pulley break up like that.

For what it is worth I have seen quite a few single supras and a few non single with that brace missing, in fact my silver car had it taken off to fit the screamer in and as I could not tell the difference I left it off, prob stayed that way for 10,000 miles or so.

Doesn't make it right though John. Removing a brace to fit a screamer is a bodge, no two ways about it.

Doesn't make it right though John. Removing a brace to fit a screamer is a bodge, no two ways about it.

Correct Tony and normally can be avoided, problem comes when you have to tell the punter oh we spent 3 hours extra fabricating and tig welding a new pipe, One would have to ask why the kit makers make it exit there knowing the brace will have to be removed to fit the pipe as it arrives, we prob spent a solid week on my car re fabricating stuff and it still is not perfect, equate that to the amount we would need top charge and you can see the problem.

If all the cars on the forum were inspected closely there would be quite a few shocks, the amount of cars I see with spacers and studs that are now too short etc is worrying, even more so is they come back the same the next time even though you have explained the problem.

In fact quite often we have to fab stuff up that we don't charge for just to be happy with the finished job.

I've seen a few CPs fall apart and loose the outer ring, but I also have never seen them shatter in that way...

Ditto. I was going to mention that as well. I thought the general idea was the rubber perishes and the outer ring seperates and comes off. No idea how it'd shatter like that.

Sorry John can't see how you justify taking short cut with removing parts instead of undertaking corrective fabrication.

For the sake of 3 hours! nothing in comparison on a single built surely

All the extra power and torque going through the car when the built is finished must have an effect and giving full beans on the 1/4 mile

No sorry can't see your thinking especially from someone that runs an high powered car and sells his trade :blink:

Ditto. I was going to mention that as well. I thought the general idea was the rubber perishes and the outer ring seperates and comes off. No idea how it'd shatter like that.

Possibly removed incorrectly I suppose, IE hit with a hammer etc to remove it.

Sorry John can't see how you justify taking short cut with removing parts instead of undertaking corrective fabrication.

For the sake of 3 hours! nothing in comparison on a single built surely

All the extra power and torque going through the car when the built is finished must have an effect and giving full beans on the 1/4 mile

No sorry can't see your thinking especially from someone that runs an high powered car and sells his trade :blink:

Who is justifying it just saying that I was happy to run without mine but then again the black car has many mods to it that invole removing stock equipment, I'm quite happy to get stuff fabricated till the cow's come home if customers are happy to pay for it, unfortunatly a lot are not, which is why we end up fabbing stuff and not charging for it.

Who is justifying it just saying that I was happy to run without mine but then again the black car has many mods to it that invole removing stock equipment, I'm quite happy to get stuff fabricated till the cow's come home if customers are happy to pay for it, unfortunatly a lot are not, which is why we end up fabbing stuff and not charging for it.

I just can't understand why people want to do a single built and then cut corners on cost when parts don't automatically fit.

When doing mods a lot of the time its trial and error and fab to fit, why spend 5k+ on a single built then not have a £150 part fabricated.

Doesn't add up in my thoughts.

The other angle being if a garage as quote a set fee for the work its upto them to do mods in the original build and extra work should be taken into account when pricing the the job in he first place.

I just can't understand why people want to do a single built and then cut corners on cost when parts don't automatically fit.

When doing mods a lot of the time its trial and error and fab to fit, why spend 5k+ on a single built then not have a £150 part fabricated.

Doesn't add up in my thoughts.

The other angle being if a garage as quote a set fee for the work its upto them to do mods in the original build and extra work should be taken into account when pricing the the job in he first place.

Unfortunatly people understandably want the super modded car but very few of us can afford to do what we really want so some corners inevitably get cut, that £150 fab may be one of 10, now the bill is £1150 more than originaly thought, we charge about £750 to fit a single kit so you can see the problem, I nomally end up feeling sorry for punters so do stuff knowing they cannot pay but at least the car leaves safe in my mind. As an example Neal my race mechanic has spent a week solid fabricating from scratch 2 exhaust manifolds and thru wing system for a TVR wedge race car, thats 5 solid days at £75 an hour and the exhaust system is not made yet !!!!!

It's a difficult situation for sure and one of the reasons why I decided to shy away from opening a garage. I like to take my time over things and get them just so, but you just couldn't run a business like that. Very few people would want to pay for the number of hours it would take to get a car perfect.

However, I think sometimes the garages assume that the customer won't want to pay so cut the corners without telling the customer. The customer then says "to have this done only cost me X amount" so the next garage is forced to cut corners to be competitive.

I also think that a lot of problems arise when technicians believe they are engineers and start re-designing things on the fly.

In fact the oil is prob a lot more dangerous than the fuel pipes as if the turbo was red hot the oil would go up straight away.

Happened to a guy on the Soarer forum, his oil line came off and sprayed all over the 900 degree manifold. Car destroyed.

Unfortunatly people understandably want the super modded car but very few of us can afford to do what we really want so some corners inevitably get cut, that £150 fab may be one of 10, now the bill is £1150 more than originaly thought, we charge about £750 to fit a single kit so you can see the problem, I nomally end up feeling sorry for punters so do stuff knowing they cannot pay but at least the car leaves safe in my mind. As an example Neal my race mechanic has spent a week solid fabricating from scratch 2 exhaust manifolds and thru wing system for a TVR wedge race car, thats 5 solid days at £75 an hour and the exhaust system is not made yet !!!!!

So how do you make a profit? :D

Glad i dont run a garage :blink:

It's like a lot of things in life at the moment people want things they can't really afford and will take short cut to get them, then winge when it goes wrong :D

Happened to a guy on the Soarer forum, his oil line came off and sprayed all over the 900 degree manifold. Car destroyed.

We had to mod my oil return on the black car and im still worried even though it has 2 seperate heat shields on it, brake fluid ignites well too but not many people know that;)

It's like a lot of things in life at the moment people want things they can't really afford and will take short cut to get them, then winge when it goes wrong :D

Possibly, but in some cases the customers don't always know what they want. In Lee's case (and by his own admission) he isn't technically savvy, so has to rely on the advice and work of a garage.