The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fearless;s v8 conversion

barneybrendan

Very nice steve. How did you get on with that slave cylinder?

Got the new 6 speed na clutch slave cylinder yesterday.

The internal diameter of the old 6 speed TT cylinder is 22.25mm

The internal diameter of the new 6 speed na cylinder is 20.75mm

Off to a good start then as that should give me a bit more travel on the clutch release bearing.

Fitted it and bleed it through and adjusted it as it should be so that the release bearing is not quite touching the fingers of the release plate.

When I tried to put it in gear the clutch was still not releasing fully :(

However before changing the cylinder with it adjusted like that it would not disengage at all and would not be possible to put it in gear so some improvement.

I then looked at the clutch pedal itself and there is some adjustment on the rod that pushes the master cylinder so I adjusted that out (what a pig of a job!) to fully take up all the slack on the pedal so as soon as there is any movement at all on the pedal the rod is starting to push on the master cylinder.

It now works as it should do with no noticeable extra pressure needed to operate the clutch :D

Got his done just in time as I am off to SRR today to meet Ryan to get this fully mapped

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clutch is good, car not so good, I am disappointed to say the least but will soldier on with till it's right.

It developed a misfire on the dyno, we think due to oil getting past the turbo seals (there is a lot of oil in the inlet pipes and it can only have come from the turbo) and messing up the spark plugs.

Took me 4 hours to get back (bl***dy tourists blocking the roads) so I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Clutch is good, car not so good, I am disappointed to say the least but will soldier on with till it's right.

It developed a misfire on the dyno, we think due to oil getting past the turbo seals (there is a lot of oil in the inlet pipes and it can only have come from the turbo) and messing up the spark plugs.

Took me 4 hours to get back (bl***dy tourists blocking the roads) so I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Don't despair. You've got further than me, with a more complicated build, in much less time. You're almost there. :)

Thanks Ed, I thought yours was more or less finished, what else do you need to get done?

My misfire was down to the one non Toyota part I put in the car! It was the coil pack extenders from a 300zx that I used to make my supra coil packs fit.

Got those sorted now so I am just waiting for my new turbo to arrive now :)

Well, I suppose it is more or less. Its just undriveable with the current clutch. I need a proper manual flywheel made up with the 2uz starter ring gear on, or better still machined into one piece. Then, mate it to a different clutch which is more streetable. Looking into that at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Because this engine originally had a distributor and HT lead setup which can be a bit limiting when going for high performance I changed it to individual coilpacks as with the TT supra engine.

As I already had 12 supra coil packs here I thought it made sense to modify those to make them fit the V8 engine....

WRONG

As the spark plugs are deeper in the head of the V8 than they are in the TT I had to make extenders to the coilpacks but this allowed the spark to leak out of the side where it was joined.

Anyway the upshot of this was I wasted 2 x 300 mile round trips up to Surrey Rolling Road for Ryan to map this only to find that it was misfiring and could not be mapped.

So by the time I bit the bullet and ordered 8 coil packs from a later version of this engine it was too late as Ryan had already left for Oz. :(

So once again it was Lyndon (nodalmighty on here) to the rescue on Sunday, he rewired the coil packs as these have 4 wires and the supra ones I was using only have 2 wires (plus a seperate igniter) and then he got to grips with the solaris software for the first time and made a very good job of mapping it.

It is only running 1.3 bar because Lydon is not familier with the solaris ECU and software and I had to twist his arm a bit as that was 0.3 bar more than Lyndon was comfortable to take it too but this car is now AWESOME!

To finally feel the power this is making has made all the months of hard work worthwhile.

A big thank you to Lyndon I have not stopped grinning yet.

:):):):):):)

Coil pack on the left is the original supra tt one with extender and the one on the right is the ones I am using from a lexus LS430

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

Great news!

Told you lyndon would sort you out

Thanks lyndon, owe you one and i guess you will be hooked on the solaris now :)

When im back were meet up again maybe at srr with my supra and show you every bit of software and logging

really chuffed for you steve was so disappointed both times i saw you and we had probs :(

Ryan

Will be taking it to Ryan when he returns to the UK, I would like him to take it to 1.5 bar ......

How different does it feel and in what way? I know them engines are full of low down torque but whats the spool like compared to when you had the stroker? So need to have a ride in this.

It's got loads of Torque and I have gone up to a T88 turbo now but it still spools quicker than when I had the stroker.

I am getting positive boost at 3000rpm and 1.3 bar of boost at around 4000 rpm. When I had the T78 on the 2JZ was not seeing positive boost until 4500rpm

Did i see this car in weston on sunday night?

Yes I was, were you at Blockbusters? saw a Supra parked up but by the time I had got my burger it was gone.

really chuffed for you steve was so disappointed both times i saw you and we had probs

Ryan

Can't wait to get it back on the dyno, you would not think it was the same car now, runs really sweet with the new coil packs.