The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fearless;s v8 conversion

barneybrendan

I am sure I would love it, but spent way too much on this already, maybe later in the year.

Will it have audible warnings if Pressure/temperature etc. readings are outside pre set range, as with the Defi guages?

The 3 gauge system is only going to be about £250. There is a visual warning but not an audible one. But at full chat I doubt you would hear it anyway as the defi is not that loud, compared to say an SPA gauge which is deafening.

I could easily add it as a stand alone module at the expense or losing an Analogue input.

Lyndon.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Basically all there now but needs some tidying up but that can be done later once it is up and running.

Lyndon is bringing back and re-fitting my new loom complete with the Solaris connector's and Ryan is coming up a to fit and map Solaris ECU tomorrow morning :D

Spent over 100 hours on this and I can't wait until tomorrow, don't think I will be getting much sleep tonight I'm like a kid waiting for Santa to come.

P6100097.JPG

P6100098.jpg

P6100099.jpg

P6100100.JPG

P6100101.JPG

P6100102.jpg

P6100103.JPG

P6100104.JPG

P6100105.JPG

P6100106.JPG

P6100107.JPG

Not knowing anything technical about this, don't the exhaust pipes from each bank need to be tuned? Cos they don't look the same length or size, does that cause problems?

Also, what's that bit of pipe coming off the bottom of the welded lump?

Not knowing anything technical about this, don't the exhaust pipes from each bank need to be tuned? Cos they don't look the same length or size, does that cause problems?

Also, what's that bit of pipe coming off the bottom of the welded lump?

Scooby's are unequal length and that's what gives them their distinctive exhaust note. It does lose some power, not much though. The pipe coming off the bottom will be for the wastegate.

There are some very tight packaging issues there that have been overcome but I can't help think the 90deg unblended junctions to the turbo and wastegate will be very lossy for power and spool, there will be a lot of back pressure and lower flow speed. So don't run any wide exhaust cams or you'll get bad reversion and watch your EGTs :)

-Ian

Well done mate, your bay looks much neater than mine.

It hasn't got the loom in yet :(

Glad its all worked out for ya. Out of interest, can you remind me what clutch you have in there? Cheers.

It's an OS Giken clutch/flywheel but the starter ring is too small so I took the ring off the original Soarer Auto flywheel, had the teeth machined off the OS Giken flywheel and then fitted the soarer starter ring to that

First picture it the Soarer Auto flywheel

Second is the OS Giken clutch/flywheel before fitting the starter ring from the Soarer

orig-flywheel.jpg

osgiken-flywheel.jpg

Scooby's are unequal length and that's what gives them their distinctive exhaust note. It does lose some power, not much though. The pipe coming off the bottom will be for the wastegate.

There are some very tight packaging issues there that have been overcome but I can't help think the 90deg unblended junctions to the turbo and wastegate will be very lossy for power and spool, there will be a lot of back pressure and lower flow speed. So don't run any wide exhaust cams or you'll get bad reversion and watch your EGTs :)

-Ian

I know it is not ideal but this has been done as a work in progress.

Now I know it all fits will get these re-made at some point

I know it is not ideal but this has been done as a work in progress.

Now I know it all fits will get these re-made at some point

I was trying my best there not to talk it down, it's a heck of a project :) I did wonder if this was a kinda "stage one just get the damn thing working" situation :D

This looks like a great project and my cup of tea, have you got any pics of the mani leading around to the turbo?

There's a lot of photos of the pipework in various stages on page one.

We used the original manifolds swapped sides and reversed so they were pointing forward.

I did wonder if this was a kinda "stage one just get the damn thing working" situation

That's exactly what it was

Barny did a great job with the materials I had provided and the brief was to just get it connected and fitting inside the engine bay.

Actually all it needs now is a nice sweeping bend on the alternator side (the wastegate can be moved) and then a couple of sweeping bends into the turbo flange instead of that tee

Once he's finished his own project I will order some more 2.5" bends and then I am hoping I can get him back to start on round 2

Edited by Fearless (see edit history)

There's a lot of photos of the pipework in various stages on page one.

We used the original manifolds swapped sides and reversed so they were pointing forward.

That's exactly what it was

Barny did a great job with the materials I had provided and the brief was to just get it connected and fitting inside the engine bay.

Actually all it needs now is a nice sweeping bend on the alternator side (the wastegate can be moved) and then a couple of sweeping bends into the turbo flange instead of that tee

Once he's finished his own project I will order some more 2.5" bends and then I am hoping I can get him back to start on round 2

can do round 2 whenever your ready mate.as you said we done the best with the materials we had on the day,and the main thing was to get it fitted.how long before it all running.

It hasn't got the loom in yet :(

It's an OS Giken clutch/flywheel but the starter ring is too small so I took the ring off the original Soarer Auto flywheel, had the teeth machined off the OS Giken flywheel and then fitted the soarer starter ring to that

First picture it the Soarer Auto flywheel

Second is the OS Giken clutch/flywheel before fitting the starter ring from the Soarer

Thanks for that. I may need to change my setup and do something similar or get a custom flywheel made.

It was quite a long day but between Ryan and Lydon we got this fired up at around 5pm and it is amazing.

It's booked in for a full map in a couple of weeks but really pulls well up to the .5 bar map cut, turbo starts boosting at 2500rpm instead of 4500 and feels great to drive and sounds awesome.

Spent the day fixing a few bits (power steeing fluid leak, some defi gauges not working new spark plugs) and tidying a few bits and getting bonnet to fit.

But now have to remove gearbox because I'm having issues with clutch adjustment and turbo needs a re-build. unless you know anyone with a big turbo for sale?