The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fearless;s v8 conversion

barneybrendan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not you as well? Anything specific?

Had the gearbox in and out twice today an and no amount of adjustment helps.

There is not enough travel on the clutch slave cylinder to disengage the clutch unless the release bearing is already pressing on the pressure plate (obviously not a good idea as it will quickly destroy the bearing)

However I had the same issues when I had this clutch with the 2jz

I have come to the conclusion that I have to either get a slave cylinder with a slightly smaller internal diameter or a master cylinder with a slightly bigger diameter to give me another 5mm of travel.

Had the gearbox in and out twice today an and no amount of adjustment helps.

There is not enough travel on the clutch slave cylinder to disengage the clutch unless the release bearing is already pressing on the pressure plate (obviously not a good idea as it will quickly destroy the bearing)

However I had the same issues when I had this clutch with the 2jz

I have come to the conclusion that I have to either get a slave cylinder with a slightly smaller internal diameter or a master cylinder with a slightly bigger diameter to give me another 5mm of travel.

Right, I installed a 3/4" bore master cylinder in my setup, but the only one I could find with an offset flange mounting (similar to the OEM one) was a short body model from AP racing. I still don't have the travel I need and this MAY be due to the short body design. If you go down this route, you will need to adapt the mounting to fit and the master cylinder itself as it will,

1. not be the right mounting,

2. not have the right thread for the pedal clevis, and

3. you'll also most likely need a remote reservoir (depending on model and amount of clearance it gives you).

I can't remember about the line threads, but this is easily solved with a new adapter. I looked at ALL manufacturers, and none had exactly the right spec, save for the AP racing one (and even then the mounting needed a plate to make it fit). I would try something else before you messed about with the OEM master as its a pain in the proverbial. Just a word of advice :)

I thought the day was quite fun. First time I've worked actually worked with Ryan, even though I've known him years.

I'm watching this develop as it's very close to the engine spec going in my MR2 (all be it twin CT20b's) and want to know what I can expect.

So glad I've gone the semi built Auto and paddle shift route :D

Lyndon.

Right, I installed a 3/4" bore master cylinder in my setup, but the only one I could find with an offset flange mounting (similar to the OEM one) was a short body model from AP racing. I still don't have the travel I need and this MAY be due to the short body design. If you go down this route, you will need to adapt the mounting to fit and the master cylinder itself as it will,

1. not be the right mounting,

2. not have the right thread for the pedal clevis, and

3. you'll also most likely need a remote reservoir (depending on model and amount of clearance it gives you).

I can't remember about the line threads, but this is easily solved with a new adapter. I looked at ALL manufacturers, and none had exactly the right spec, save for the AP racing one (and even then the mounting needed a plate to make it fit). I would try something else before you messed about with the OEM master as its a pain in the proverbial. Just a word of advice :)

I am just wondering is there is any difference between the n/a and tt clutch master/slave

I thought the day was quite fun. First time I've worked actually worked with Ryan, even though I've known him years.

I'm watching this develop as it's very close to the engine spec going in my MR2 (all be it twin CT20b's) and want to know what I can expect.

So glad I've gone the semi built Auto and paddle shift route :D

Lyndon.

Big thanks to Lyndon and Ryan who battled away all day to get this running.

My wish to change this from the OEM distributor and HT leads to individual coil packs gave you a both few extra headaches I'm sure but the 8 channel igniter you made is working great. The pair of you are sheer genius's

I can't believe how responsive this is and how nice it feels to drive. Really looking forward to getting this fully mapped at SRR on the 25th

I am just wondering is there is any difference between the n/a and tt clutch master/slave

Steve there was talk about slave cylinders on here a few days back and i think the 6speed box from the later facelift n/a's have a different cylinder giving better disengagement.

I will have a quick search for it.

I WANT ONE
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

I think congrats are in order - great to see how quickly you've pulled this off!

Glad you're local Steve so I get to see (and HEAR!) this more often!!! Sounds the muts nuts!

How much you charging for passenger rides then???

I call shotgun btw ;)

EDIT: sorry for the double post

Big thanks to Lyndon and Ryan who battled away all day to get this running.

My wish to change this from the OEM distributor and HT leads to individual coil packs gave you a both few extra headaches I'm sure but the 8 channel igniter you made is working great. The pair of you are sheer genius's

I can't believe how responsive this is and how nice it feels to drive. Really looking forward to getting this fully mapped at SRR on the 25th

Great project and well done!! I would like to know how you replaced the distributor with individual coil plugs? Do you have any pics? Cheers

WOWW
[/sHOCK]

sounds bloody awesome that mate and looks like a very nice supra!

what power is this kicking out?

Not sure yet as it is not fully mapped, has a map cut on it at 0.5bar but hoping for at least 600bhp on surry Rolling road next week.

Amazing mate, Sounds fantastic

Cheers, wait until you hear it up close

[sHOCK]I WANT ONE
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

Glad you're local Steve so I get to see (and HEAR!) this more often!!! Sounds the muts nuts!

I call shotgun btw ;)

Any time, after next Friday

Great project and well done!! I would like to know how you replaced the distributor with individual coil plugs? Do you have any pics? Cheers

I used my existing supra coil packs (I had 2 sets) and modified the extenders from nissan 300zx coil packs (a mate has quite a few of those) Then made up a holder for them with some folded aluminium sheet.

I will try and get some picture up tomorrow

Got to love the sound of a V8.

Another nice project coming out of the South West

Can't beat us SW boys

Sounds very nice mate, top job. Thats the only kind of start I can do also ;)

P.S. you're bay still looks tidier than mine, ha ha.

:innocent:

yeah agree the v8 sounds awesome pus the added whooosssh puts the cherry on top.

how much has this build roughly set you back?

About £4,000 but I already had a lot of bits as this was already a single turbo car and I got £2,500 back for parts from the 2jz that were not needed. BUT if you see my wife don't forget it only cost £3,000 and I got back £3,000 for parts I sold ;)

Very nice steve. How did you get on with that slave cylinder?

Got it on order but it won't be here until 24th