The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OIL spill

jagman

Are you listening, Tony, that's more to the point, are you listening? BP is responsible, has admitted responsibility, has assumed financial responsibility, and there is no denying that. Are you saying that Tony Hayward somehow has lost his mind?

I don't know about global drilling stoppage, but the US has imposed a 6 month drilling halt.

How much do you think the UK will fine BP for spilling it oil on US shores?

Think about it. If BP accepts responsibility and pays out say $10,000,000,000 over a couple of years. The revnenue for the company is something like $200,000,000,000 a year, so it's almost a drop in the ocean. Now bear in mind they've already had a 40% drop in share price (Equivalent to $75,000,000,000) if they were to get into a finger pointing exercise, how much further do you think the shares would drop? It wouldn't take much to be a lot more than they're likely to pay out in compensation. So perhaps Hayward hasn't lost his mind after all eh?

The 6 month drilling halt is another sign of how little regard the US has on the rest of the world as the ban only affects rigs drilling around the continent of the America. It doesn't stop Transoceans rigs drilling in other areas of the world. So really it looks like Obama is just trying to appease the US population whilst continuing to not give a damn about the rest of the world. If he really believes there to be a fundamental safety issue then why not stop US deepwater exploratory drilling worldwide? Here's a quick link to the number of rigs Transocean have running at the moment. http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/List-by-Location-17.html There's 139 in total. A maximum of 15 of them will be affected by the ban.

As it's not solely a UK company any more, I doubt if the UK government will get too involved at all, but I've no doubt the US government will have their money, and I'm sure it'll be a lot more than the $1 in 16 that the US government decided Amoco should pay France.

...and I'm done. :taped:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can only hope that if the yanks ever spill any oil anywhere other than on themselves there is this level of "outrage" and they pay out as willingly as BP. Yeah right, dealing with the most egocentric and ignorant people on earth....Quit the whinging America, your only out to make a quick buck.

Quit the whinging America, your only out to make a quick buck.

I understand that if you're close to where the disaster is happening of course you are likely to be more precious about it than the rest of the world or even the rest of America.

It's just difficult to be sympathetic towards them when they come across as shouty and unable to listen to what other very well educated people are saying.

Plus there's whole world economy being in tatters because of sub-prime mortgages, yey - go America.

It's the wildlife I feel more sorry for.

Don't get too focused on the 'whining' aspect.. tbh they do battles with the coporations over there very well, just look at the outrage when fuel prices go up....(something we could do better with over here tbh) there just appears to be some nationalistic rhetoric that makes it look like one country has messed up another etc and is whipping up more of a furory.

THe guy can't win. If he's got his head in the game, he's too cold and unfeeling. If hes pissed, he's playground tough. No one can ever take something at face value.

I hope it is fixed (not least because i go to Florida in 2 weeks) and I hope the animals are saved.

I think that the American's are blind hypocrites though which is a shame. Saying that though I do love them for it in a way and perhaps the UK would do better if we were more up our own arses like they are.

*Goes to watch Team America World Police*

THe guy can't win. If he's got his head in the game, he's too cold and unfeeling. If hes pissed, he's playground tough. No one can ever take something at face value.

Are you able to post up any pictures of the coastline where you are? It would be good interesting for some of us to see what you are seeing.

BP can't win. If they apologise to the American public they get accused of wasting time whilst they should be plugging the leak (as if the marketing department could work on top hats, concrete bungs and design relief wells!). If they are trying to fix the leak, they get roasted for not fixing it yesterday (much more preferable to have fixed it yesterday, but I believe they're pulling out all the stops to have fixed it yesterday).

The whole "why isn't it plugged yet" is the same type of argument as "We can send men to the moon, why can't we "? It's a passionate argument but not very logical.

Cowboy_bebop, if I were in your position I would probably feel a similar way to how you're feeling now, with the emotion of what you see the leak doing to wildlife on TV or near your home.

Are you able to post up any pictures of the coastline where you are? It would be good interesting for some of us to see what you are seeing.

An old friend of mine is a surveyor and is working in the area, so I'll see what pics he has. My uncle also is an offshore worker so I'll find out what he has. I'm sure he takes plenty from the helicopter ride from shore to platform. I also have great aunts and uncles in Houma, I'll find out if they have any.

BP can't win. If they apologise to the American public they get accused of wasting time whilst they should be plugging the leak (as if the marketing department could work on top hats, concrete bungs and design relief wells!). If they are trying to fix the leak, they get roasted for not fixing it yesterday (much more preferable to have fixed it yesterday, but I believe they're pulling out all the stops to have fixed it yesterday).

The whole "why isn't it plugged yet" is the same type of argument as "We can send men to the moon, why can't we "? It's a passionate argument but not very logical.

Cowboy_bebop, if I were in your position I would probably feel a similar way to how you're feeling now, with the emotion of what you see the leak doing to wildlife on TV or near your home.

It's a lot to bear, man.

An old friend of mine is a surveyor and is working in the area, so I'll see what pics he has. My uncle also is an offshore worker so I'll find out what he has. I'm sure he takes plenty from the helicopter ride from shore to platform. I also have great aunts and uncles in Houma, I'll find out if they have any.

If its anything like the north sea you wont be able to take photo's from the chopper unfortunately.