The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OIL spill

jagman

how can you have an emergency plan for this kind of accident and more crucially at these depths.......i think both bp and the us chanced their arm on extracting oils at this depth and this time it backfired you can bet though they are now makings caps that will be able to fix this one in future although having had their fingers burnt i cant see the us allowing anyone near those fields again for a long time to come

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can you have an emergency plan for this kind of accident and more crucially at these depths.......i think both bp and the us chanced their arm on extracting oils at this depth and this time it backfired you can bet though they are now makings caps that will be able to fix this one in future although having had their fingers burnt i cant see the us allowing anyone near those fields again for a long time to come

On the emergency plan, that's more a question for Tony Hayward. I can forsee a lot more regulation in the future.

I'm saying that I don't understand why BP would be responsible for renting equipment from Transocean that turned out to be faulty.

Perhaps BP were supposed to service the equipment, but by all accounts I've read so far, BP basically paid Transocean to run the rig, so you would have thought that would have also included servicing and maintaining equipment.

You probably know as much as I do with regards to oil drilling (ie pretty much nothing) so all of that is speculation, but until you or I know any facts, lets not jump to conclusions eh?

As for whether I think the gulf coast deserves what it gets, I think you've read into my post what you wanted to see rather than what's actually written.

OK, I'll spell it out specifically. Take your time to carefully to read it, and read no more and no less than what is specifically written...

Screaming and shouting about a disaster on your doorstep, even if it were caused by another country, when the USA has been culpable, yet dodged ultimate responsibility for many more similar disasters in other countries is nothing short of outright hipocracy.

OK?

BP has already spent over a $1,000,000,000 on sorting the problem, and I have no doubt will end up spending a great deal more in the clean up operation once the well has been capped.

In contrast Amoco did nothing to help the clean up of France after the Cadiz sunk and only gave $120,000,000 in compensation.

So saying that BP have done nothing, again is laughable in contrast to what American based companies have done in the same situation.

By that logic, the UK should have government reps onsite and offereing up just as much assistance and as BP themselves. Which if that's what's going on then dandy, but I've not read or heard anything about that. The fact is that as closely tied as oil companies are with governments, they are still private entities.

As well if you want to see a real screwing, look for a documentary entitled, "Black Wave: The legacy of the Exxon Valdez". Devastating.

On you not understanding why BP is ultimately responsible, give a call to Tony Hayward and let him in on the fact that he's poured mega bucks in funds towards a cleanup that's going nowhere. It's a moot point. In a lot of areas of this spill it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

You probably know as much as I do with regards to oil drilling (ie pretty much nothing) so all of that is speculation, but until you or I know any facts, lets not jump to conclusions eh?

I'll just give you a miniscule bit of information here for us all.

BP pay transocean probably in excess of $500,000 per day (i dont have the exact figure but thats probably in the right region) to rent the rig and crew. They look after the rigs safety systems, bops etc etc.

BP themselves design the well and all associated well work and between Service companies and transocean they do the work.

This could be a few errors that have mounted up, bop failure, well design wrong or poor job from a service company.

Until a full investigation is done then no-one can really point fingers. BP have stepped up and taken the blame and cost of fixing the problem.

By that logic, the UK should have government reps onsite and offereing up just as much assistance and as BP themselves. Which if that's what's going on then dandy, but I've not read or heard anything about that. The fact is that as closely tied as oil companies are with governments, they are still private entities.

As well if you want to see a real screwing, look for a documentary entitled, "Black Wave: The legacy of the Exxon Valdez". Devastating.

On you not understanding why BP is ultimately responsible, give a call to Tony Hayward and let him in on the fact that he's poured mega bucks in funds towards a cleanup that's going nowhere. It's a moot point. In a lot of areas of this spill it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

I think BP have realised that they are probably the only people that have

a) The technology to even attempt to stem the well. (Obama held his hands up straight away and said the government were not equiped to sort this)

b) The financial resources to employ a solution.

c) The financial resources to conduct a clean-up.

I also imagine if they just started backing towards the door with the hands up saying "nothing to do with my gov'nor" then there would be absolute public outrage.

Take yourself for example, even though they're actually trying to sort it you're still p*ssed at them and you don't actually know if it was down to them or not yet. No-one knows until there is an investigation. For such a massive company with many billions of dollars of financial resource to back away would effectively be corporate suicide in terms of share price.

However....

If as Monsween suggests, if the rig is owned, run and serviced by Transocean, and only paid by BP to do the work, how can it really be BP's fault?

I know you say it's a moot point, but I'm at a loss to see how you could think otherwise. Perhaps you could explain it to me?

Fact of the matter is if it happened in someone elses backyard, the American people wouldn't give a s*it about it as has been proven many times in the past. So whilst I have every sympathy for those who are affected by this disaster, screaming and shouting and trying to point the finger at supposedly foreign companies, whilst they are actively trying to help the situation, and given the American companies track record, I think is a bit much.

Tony, you're right. The US governement is not in the oil business. So since BP spilled the milk, they have to clean it up. I understand that you want to wait for the investigation, however the investigation to determine reponsibility is over. Now comes the criminal investigation and the mountains of fines. Again, I'm not sure how you can defend BP's responsibility, but BP has publicly stated that it's their dropped ball. As long as the oil is still spewing, whatever they are doing is not enough.. period.

Tony, you're right. The US governement is not in the oil business. So since BP spilled the milk, they have to clean it up. I understand that you want to wait for the investigation, however the investigation to determine reponsibility is over. Now comes the criminal investigation and the mountains of fines. Again, I'm not sure how you can defend BP's responsibility, but BP has publicly stated that it's their dropped ball. As long as the oil is still spewing, whatever they are doing is not enough.. period.

You don't seem to be listening. BP paid Transocean to run the rig. So it would appear that BP didn't spill the oil, Transocean did. BP are being left to carry the can and foot the bill.

By your rationale of them not doing enough, all drilling across the globe should cease until every possible contingency has been sorted and instantaneous solutions put in place. Otherwise similar disasters could occur.

It will be interesting to see how the criminal investigation does pan out, given the past history of how the American courts fined American companies so little when they deposited their oil on other countries.

The other toss of the coin is that altho BP pay transocean to run the rig if the well was designed wrong then its bp's dropped ball. At the end of the day its bp that reaps the reward for the oil produced.

I'm on neither side of the fence with this one, it rests on both laps.

You don't seem to be listening. BP paid Transocean to run the rig. So it would appear that BP didn't spill the oil, Transocean did. BP are being left to carry the can and foot the bill.

By your rationale of them not doing enough, all drilling across the globe should cease until every possible contingency has been sorted and instantaneous solutions put in place. Otherwise similar disasters could occur.

It will be interesting to see how the criminal investigation does pan out, given the past history of how the American courts fined American companies so little when they deposited their oil on other countries.

Are you listening, Tony, that's more to the point, are you listening? BP is responsible, has admitted responsibility, has assumed financial responsibility, and there is no denying that. Are you saying that Tony Hayward somehow has lost his mind?

I don't know about global drilling stoppage, but the US has imposed a 6 month drilling halt.

How much do you think the UK will fine BP for spilling it oil on US shores?

The other toss of the coin is that altho BP pay transocean to run the rig if the well was designed wrong then its bp's dropped ball. At the end of the day its bp that reaps the reward for the oil produced.

I'm on neither side of the fence with this one, it rests on both laps.

However's go tthe ball, I just hope that they make good. The clear gulf is turning into the black sea.

And why should the UK fine BP. Why not Norway or Italy, Nigeria or Saudi.

That's just it, I don't think the UK should fine BP. But Tony was asking how much the US Gov fined American companies for spilling offshore. In a perfet world at least, it seems the fines should be dictated by those who's oil is on their doorstep.

i reckon if we could salvage all that crude oil that is spilling out into the gulf and refine it into petrol i could run my supra for a week lmao.

on a more serious note this has gone on long enuf bp needs to pull some more strings regardless of blame

I don't think I see your point. Are you saying why should we care about the gulf coast?

...Fact of the matter is if it happened in someone elses backyard, the American people wouldn't give a s*it about it as has been proven many times in the past. So whilst I have every sympathy for those who are affected by this disaster, screaming and shouting and trying to point the finger at supposedly foreign companies, whilst they are actively trying to help the situation, and given the American companies track record, I think is a bit much.

Like someone said earlier, the majority of people in the US don't care about sh!t that happens elsewhere in the world, only when something happens in their own backyard - then they get riled to hell.

I know it's harsh for you to hear it beebop, but by the USA's own standards, why should we here in "Europe and Eurasia" care if someone spilled some oil on your shores? Especially when the company facing up to the cleanup ceased to be a UK company years ago but your president still seems to be publicly laying the blame at our doorstep.