The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OIL spill

jagman

Your not grasping the physics of it all. The "Top Hat" is staying in place because it is not stopping the pressure it is funneling the pressure.

You put a cap on it and the pressure rises. If the force that the cap is exerting isnt greater than the pressure coming from the well then it becomes useless

If the top hat isn't affixed by nothing more than gravity, then that in itself is sketchy.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys it was an 'accident' dohhh...! Everybody that works in drilling knows that this shit happens, you can never under-estimate a well... you drill a well 1 foot away from another and it can totally kick your ass 'that is kind of the exciting part' you can't ever predict shit in drilling..! we are pushing drilling to the extremes and when you push anything to their limit guess what...! some times shit goes tits up..!

America is the hungriest oil consumer in the world and do you think that because it's bp's project that all the profit and oil goes into BP's Piggy bank..! I dont think so..! these contracts are split % and trust me US GOV will be making a nice profit too..! It's the same anywhere in the world..!

It's not BP personally that screwd up..! it would be a petroleum egineer working of houston or homa louisiana..! they call the shots..! design the well etc etc..!

Pure armchair quarterbacking and a ridiculous statement. And actually Brazil, if you look into it further, the USA gives astronomical tax breaks to oil companies. Kiss those goodbye. Again, there's no getting away from this, it's BP's ultimate responsibility. Plug the damn hole, already.

Actually the US is tied with Europe/Eurasia in oil consumtion.

http://www.pimco.com/NR/rdonlyres/CCB53675-BF06-423E-977D-C234B2169387/1841/Chart3.gif

Pure armchair quarterbacking and a ridiculous statement. And actually Brazil, if you look into it further, the USA gives astronomical tax breaks to oil companies. Kiss those goodbye. Again, there's no getting away from this, it's BP's ultimate responsibility. Plug the damn hole, already.

http://www.pimco.com/NR/rdonlyres/CCB53675-BF06-423E-977D-C234B2169387/1841/Chart3.gif

Its easy to simply point at BP , but it could have been any of the rigs in that area - Transocean are keeping a low profile eh!! It was all their equipment and staff and due to US labour laws ALL US citizens working ,designing ,installing and applying safety checks and inspections - Still BPs fault though eh ,even though they could not choose who to use , or even staff it

Tax Breaks , you are having a laugh , check out where Haliburton is registered (Dubai) and where Transocean is registered (Swiss? i think)

Even BP is 40% US owned - tax breaks my arse !

Who cares who did it, lets clear it up, but now after seeing the size of the spread I can understand why it is taking BP months to clear this up.

Also I totally understand why they have been failing to stop this quickly.

the valve's they had (the technology) in place for these events partially failed. The backups tested at those depths failed so they had to try otehr stuff quickly and the depths and pressure are causing other failures.

Unfortunatly as with everything someone has to go first for the rest of us to learn.

* Nuclear meltdown at a power plant

* Fire that rages across a city (great fire of london)

People then learn from this to try and stop it happening again. They had learnt from previous leaks by having these stop valaves...they partially failed.

So next time they will know if this happens not to try putting a lid over the top or pumping mud into it, but will instead try to cap it straight away.

Its not nice and its not pretty whats happening, but with the size of it, its gonna be little by little im afraid.

Who cares who did it, lets clear it up, but now after seeing the size of the spread I can understand why it is taking BP months to clear this up.

Also I totally understand why they have been failing to stop this quickly.

the valve's they had (the technology) in place for these events partially failed. The backups tested at those depths failed so they had to try otehr stuff quickly and the depths and pressure are causing other failures.

Unfortunatly as with everything someone has to go first for the rest of us to learn.

* Nuclear meltdown at a power plant

* Fire that rages across a city (great fire of london)

People then learn from this to try and stop it happening again. They had learnt from previous leaks by having these stop valaves...they partially failed.

So next time they will know if this happens not to try putting a lid over the top or pumping mud into it, but will instead try to cap it straight away.

Its not nice and its not pretty whats happening, but with the size of it, its gonna be little by little im afraid.

Totally Agree...!!!!

Dude, I have a decade of experience in the industry my dad is Director of halliburton for Africa my best friend farther is VP of halliburton global there is some sense to what I am talking about mate..!

I can see that you believe what ever they show on crappy CNN..!

Dude, I have a decade of experience in the industry my dad is Director of halliburton for Africa my best friend farther is VP of halliburton global there is some sense to what I am talking about mate..!

I can see that you believe what ever they show on crappy CNN..!

You know what I believe? I believe that my friends and family are in hell now. I also believe that the gulf region will be ruined for ages. That's what I believe. No disrespect Brazil, but with the outright anger that I and many others feel on this situation, I don't really care who you know or what corporate bullshit goes on behind the scenes. I just want the hole plugged, period.

I've lived in England, Wez, so abolutely.

Dude...! do you think they are out there fucking the dog..? They have the best engineers in the world trying to solve this problem..! What is the point in getting all mad..? Shit happened, now they are trying their best to solve it..! This is hurting BP too..!

It's sad what is happened to the coast line, I've lived in Lafayette Louisiana, Houston Texas, Miami. I have plenty of friends out there I've spent many spring break enjoying that coast line..! I understand where you are coming from but understand that everyone is trying their best to solve the problem..!

How is that "colossal jump"?? The oil is still pouring out and near as makes no differnce, at the same mind boggling rate! Here's an idea. If BP can install a tophat, let's see a plug right through the center that stops that leak.

This isn't meant to sound patronizing, this is an honest reply...

If you are genuinely interested then drop me a pm. I cannot explain why this is a colossal jump on a forum like this as there simply isn't the time and means to do so. If you were sat next to me with a pencil and paper, and a day or two spare, I could talk you through it.

If you want, I can send you a bunch of links to read through (it won't be light reading) so you can get an insight into the whole drilling/casing/cementing/production/packers/BOP/etc/etc/etc side of things. Once you have read those and have a grasp of "the norm" I could probably explain to you how capping the well permanently on the seabed is a colosal jump from the glorified funnel currently sat down there.

The reality is still that drilling one or more wells to intercept/plug/etc this flowing well is the only real answer. That will take time and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

I think its quite ironic that Britain and the US went to war for oil in the gulf, and now we've screwed up the US coast with the dam stuff.

Unfortunately it is what maintains life in the developed world as we know it.

BP mobilised to initially drill 2 deviated relief wells to intercept the Horizon well at 18,000ft vertical depth... 1 to plug the well and the other to divert the flowing oil and gas elsewhere and away from the damaged BOP and riser. This started almost immediately after the disater occurred ( i.e - within days). The cost of drilling 2 wells, from offshore platforms, in 5000ft water depth, deviated to intercept at 18,000ft is significant. Everyone at BP and anyone in the oil industry knows the ONLY solution lies with these relief wells. As already mentioned, the funnel caps, underwater ROV's, barrels of mud thrown down to plug etc etc etc etc etc are there to satisfy press, media and general public perception that SOMETHING is being done. The reality is nothing will stop this oil until the relief wells are complete. Hence the immediate mobilisation to drill the relief wells within hours of the blow out.

BP mobilised to initially drill 2 deviated relief wells to intercept the Horizon well at 18,000ft vertical depth... 1 to plug the well and the other to divert the flowing oil and gas elsewhere and away from the damaged BOP and riser. This started almost immediately after the disater occurred ( i.e - within days). The cost of drilling 2 wells, from offshore platforms, in 5000ft water depth, deviated to intercept at 18,000ft is significant. Everyone at BP and anyone in the oil industry knows the ONLY solution lies with these relief wells. As already mentioned, the funnel caps, underwater ROV's, barrels of mud thrown down to plug etc etc etc etc etc are there to satisfy press, media and general public perception that SOMETHING is being done. The reality is nothing will stop this oil until the relief wells are complete. Hence the immediate mobilisation to drill the relief wells within hours of the blow out.

Spot on, and a well is not drilled overnight unforunately

It's an environmental disaster, but I think we all already knew that. :(

I fear that Obama will use this to try and boost his popularity at home. As BP is a foreign-owned company it gives him more leeway to make populist decisions that don't help solve the problem.

As an outsider (and someone with no knowledge or experience of the oil industry) I'm convinced BP is doing everything they can to stop the leak, because there isn't any way in which not shutting it off is good for them. For the problem not to get any worse is worth billions of pounds to BP, and I think everyone in BP knows that.

You realise that the chart you've posted up is basically saying that the USA (one single country) (Population: 307,000,000) uses the same amount of oil as one and a half continents (Population Approx 2,000,000,000)?

So per capita the USA is using around 6.5 times the amount of oil as the Europe and Eurasia. So sorry, what was your point again?

Can you explain why you think BP is responsible?

If I rent a house, and the house falls down and someone gets squashed by a wall, it's not me that's responsible it's the landlord surely?

In this instance that landlord would be Transocean wouldn't it?

Whilst I'm sorry to hear that a lot of peoples lives have been adversely affected by this, I'm afraid I've become rather de-sensitised from seeing these kind of disasters time and time again.

The only thing different this time is that it's happened in the back garden of the USA and as a country they have a big enough shout to make themselves heard.

For example, pretty much everyone has heard of the Exxon Valdez, which spilled 37,000 tonnes of oil. Yet not many people have heard of the Atlantic Empress that spilled 276,000 tonnes of oil. I guess Trinidad and Tobego had less of a voice on the media / politcal front.

It reminds me of the $2,000,000,000 that France claimed against Amoco when the Amoco Cadiz sunk off the coast of Brittany depositing 219,000 tonnes of oil. The US courts decided that an appropriate payment in compensation was $120,000,000. Just out of interest was there any news articles in the states about that particular disaster?

Let me get this straight Tony, are you saying out loud that you feel that not only is BP not responsible, but that the gulf coast deserves what it gets?

Wow, I've been open minded with this and not said a lot and read a lot more, BUT even I can know for a fact that is not what Tony said :rolleyes:

Are you just looking for a way to blame the british by any chance via British Petroleum?

Wow, I've been open minded with this and not said a lot and read a lot more, BUT even I can know for a fact that is not what Tony said :rolleyes:

Are you just looking for a way to blame the british by any chance via British Petroleum?

I dont' want to blame the British, that's useless. I want the hole plugged, that's it. It's deeply disturbing to have this happen right in my back yard. You guys can toss around the "how is BP to blame" game, but I don't care an ounce about that. To me, BP has already admitted and accepted responsibility, so that point it moot. Why should i explain BP's role? If you want to know their role, call their hotline, they'll tell you all about it. On what Tony posted, it seems a pattern of thinking that because the USA uses a lot of oil then the gulf coast gets what it deserves. To me that's what that post eludes to.