1. 1. What is your preference

• Facelift supra
    • Pre-facelift supra

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Subquestion; how many who have voted in this poll can honestly say they've either owned both or have looked at both and chosen?

I had the option when looking for a Supe...and the pre-facelift cars are betther finished.

Im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a 6 speed na, they all have the v161, drop a 5 speed in it and sell on cheap.

I was about to say that, it's a shame you'd already bought your NA as you could have bought one swapped the boxes & not had the extra hassle of buying & selling another car

i own a 1996 facelift auto.

I have owned both pre and facelift tt models.

Looks wise i love the facelift look with the different lights etc but build quality i think is worse, there would be little things i would change.

Like the dials, keep the digital clock, and mileage meter from pre faclift but keep the 5 rings on the dash.

I think the leather in the facelift is softer, but my passanger door card arm rest is coming away slightly.

More things have gone wrong with the facelift then it did pre facelift. :rolleyes:

I was about to say that, it's a shame you'd already bought your NA as you could have bought one swapped the boxes & not had the extra hassle of buying & selling another car

I sold that one mate, guy is picking it up satuday.

This will do the job, pity its so far away.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201011355018422/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/supra/make/toyota/postcode/sl23rn/page/4/radius/1501?logcode=p

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I thought it a no-brainer till I saw this thread. I've owned both pre and post face-lifts. I prefer face-lifts. I'd always go for the newest, best condition, lowest mileage car unless I was after a particular mark of older car.

That said, I would seriously consider a pre-facelift Aerotop TT if it was good enough condition.

Would be able to make a bit selling some of the other stuff on too. Those leathers look in good nic.

I read the ABS was different, i also read the body is more collision improved, i also read the v161 has a better 2nd gear,

I didn't mention the diff, i didn't know they were different, but to be fair unless i was going to be going really high hp figures i'm sure the diff will last just fine.

How much power can the facelift diff take out of interest?

- ABS is different, correct

- Body structure is not changed, incorrect

- V161 has different ratio on 5 of 6 gears, 3rd gear syncro was supposed to be improved, though the only 3rd gear I've heard of going was on a v161

- Pre-facelift diff, driveshaft, prop, hub, rad and much, much more are of a higher specification comparad to facelift

- Facelift TT6 drivetrain and many other parts are from NA/auto models

In summary, the mechanically superior car (and simplest to modify) is the TT6 pre-facelift. In stock form the TT6 facelift is the best of all, but modifying is much more complex.

Edit - that said, I'd still take a prefer a (genuine) low mileage facelift TT6 over a tired early one. All depends on the car in question really.

- ABS is different, correct

- Body structure is not changed, incorrect

- V161 has different ratio on 5 of 6 gears, 3rd gear syncro was supposed to be improved, though the only 3rd gear I've heard of going was on a v161

- Pre-facelift diff, driveshaft, prop, hub, rad and much, much more are of a higher specification comparad to facelift

- Facelift TT6 drivetrain and many other parts are from NA/auto models

In summary, the mechanically superior car (and simplest to modify) is the TT6 pre-facelift. In stock form the TT6 facelift is the best of all, but modifying is much more complex.

Edit - that said, I'd still take a prefer a (genuine) low mileage facelift TT6 over a tired early one. All depends on the car in question really.

That's very interesting indeed and I for one didn't know about all (i.e. any:innocent:) of those differences between the two Supra variants.

You learn something important every day;)

Guest Brian Mallon
Facelift has extra bracing at the bottom of the b-pillar doesn't it?

Yes and some other areas too, it is called GOA safety body and is collision improved.

I reckon there will be very few people here who had the budget for a facelift and decided to buy a pre-facelift. Most people simply wouldn't have budgeted for a facelift.

I was happy to have either as I just wanted a Supra but I was fortunate enough to have JUST enough for a facelift. Once I found that out there was absolutely no way I was buying a pre-facelift.

I got an RZ..

Recaro's

Bigger Brakes

Far better external styling regardling lights etc

OEM bodykit (although mine had already been changed)

Analogue clock looks more timeless than digital 90's knightrider clock

Passenger & Driver Airbag

17" alloys

VVTi Perks

RAES Suspension

A much better wheel

Tiptronic Auto

VVTi Timing

The one thing I don't like about the facelift is the bloody ODO. Why they would have it so old fashioned is beyond me. I wouldn't say cost cutting as surely it would cost more to change to something not already produced?

I didn't know about the Diff & the prop, I thought the Diff was smaller with the same internals? My car has never overheated so the Rad doesn't bother me at the moment.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

I reckon there will be very few people here who had the budget for a facelift and decided to buy a pre-facelift. Most people simply wouldn't have budgeted for a facelift.

My car was facelift money when I bought it. It's a pre-facelift, from December '95, and was exactly what I wanted. I knew I was going to play around with it, and couldn't see the value in effectively getting a lesser facelift for my money. I'm pleased, although I have got facelift lights ;)

My car was facelift money when I bought it. It's a pre-facelift, from December '95, and was exactly what I wanted. I knew I was going to play around with it, and couldn't see the value in effectively getting a lesser facelift for my money. I'm pleased, although I have got facelift lights ;)

exactly the same for me, budget wasnt an issue - finding the right car however was...

I think that is just common sense though Gaz. If you had, as an example, 9k to spend on a supra you would buy the one in the best condition not the one with the least years on it.

The question from the OP is which is best, I think we would have to be comparing equal quality Supra's to make that comparison :)

I think that is just common sense though Gaz.

You were the one that introduced this into the conversation...:blink:

Homer once again regurgitates one of his previous posts to summarise another repost thread nicely here

Edited by imi (see edit history)

You were the one that introduced this into the conversation...:blink:

I don't get your point? Do I need to write between the lines for you to be able to follow?

The budget between a mint facelift and mint pre-facelift will always be different. Comparing like for like in quality will not be like for like in budget/cost.

Are there any facelift styling mods that can't be retro fitted to the pre-facelift?

TBH on a black car the only facelift mods I want are headlights and indicators/repeaters. I don't like the rear lights on a black car, they do look good on gun metal grey though :)

Are there any facelift styling mods that can't be retro fitted to the pre-facelift?

Only the ABS change, though that was also present on the UK model (Yaw controlled ABS braking). VVTi is a whole different matter, but that's not facelift specific.

Jay, what are the B-pillar mods you mention? They do not appear on the Toyota catalogue. As you have a hardtop I doubt it's the same the B-pillar mod the aero's have... Very interested in your feedback as Toyota don't document the change.