• Facelift supra
    • Pre-facelift supra

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian Mallon

Fcelift model improvements are also, Sports (G-sensing) ABS, REAS Relative Shock Absorber System, GOA safety body and ECT-i 4 speed automatic transmission with flex-lock-up.

Edited by Brian Mallon
spelling mistake (see edit history)

Fcelift model improvements are also, Sports (G-sensing) ABS, REAS Relative Shock Absorber System, GOA safety body and ECT-i 4 speed automatic transmission with flex-lock-up.

Does any of that make a difference? Reads to me like being sold something with long words and model numbers...

Thats the one, I knew I had read somewhere that facelifts where not as good quality finish.

At least they didn't have rubber covered dash panels though.

Homer summed it up pretty well last time round...click the link provided to relive the conversation.... :)

pre-facelift 6sp is the best then?

So would a Pre-facelift GZ Aerotop with a 6sp v161 been the top supra to have?

I hope so, after I get a 6sp conversion thats what I will have :D

not if weight is a decision criteria... ;)

Guest Brian Mallon

The biggest majority of Supra owners on here will be pre-facelift owners due to the fact that Toyota sold more so i know where this vote is going.

Quality issues... Made cheaper... how do you know this, didn't realise the Toyota R&D team were part of this forum, if anything it should cost more to produce, they have a Stonger body,better passenger safety,better ABS,Better Shock absorber System,Vvti engine which has more power and torque, Better ECU, Better Brakes, better lights,more efficient aluminium radiator, better gearboxes V161 and Tiptronic etc etc.

Toyota Obviously thought Investing money in the Supra in these areas was worth the R&D costs and would improve the car in every way. If you cant see past your pre facelift thats fair enough but don't just run a car down because you don't own one.:tongue:

The biggest majority of Supra owners on here will be pre-facelift owners due to the fact that Toyota sold more so i know where this vote is going.

Quality issues... Made cheaper... how do you know this, didn't realise the Toyota R&D team were part of this forum, if anything it should cost more to produce, they have a Stonger body,better passenger safety,better ABS,Better Shock absorber System,Vvti engine which has more power and torque, Better ECU, Better Brakes, better lights,more efficient aluminium radiator, better gearboxes V161 and Tiptronic etc etc.

Toyota Obviously thought Investing money in the Supra in these areas was worth the R&D costs and would improve the car in every way. If you cant see past your pre facelift thats fair enough but don't just run a car down because you don't own one.:tongue:

I voted facelift even though i own pre-facelift and i bet many others have done the same.:)

Can you back up any of your claims?

Stronger body? any proof?

How are the brakes better?

ABS? never heard they run a different system?

How is the V161 better? the diff cetainlly aint, its a lot smaller.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Guest Brian Mallon

I read the ABS was different, i also read the body is more collision improved, i also read the v161 has a better 2nd gear,

I didn't mention the diff, i didn't know they were different, but to be fair unless i was going to be going really high hp figures i'm sure the diff will last just fine.

How much power can the facelift diff take out of interest?

Maybe, its new on me.

I have driven a facelift TT6 and not noticed the difference in gearing although i do know they are different, just could not feel it, none of them reasons would make me go for a facelift tbh, the only ones that would is its a newer car and i like the dash.

I dont know what power the diff will hold, wont be what a big diff can though, although for most owners it will never be an issue, the facelift diff is identical looking to a na and auto diff, i sold one a few days back.

You mention aluminium radiator as well, not something ive seen, the ones ive seen have a very skinny plastic rad, same as on the na supras, seems to do the job just fine though.

Will look into the V161 now you have said that Jay, could always buy a facelift swap the box and sell on.

I always felt mine seemed A LOT slower in 6th, when it pulled away from my mates 911 at VMax in 1st to 4th, yet he still pulled a higher terminal, then I looked at the ratios on Darryls spreadsheet & they had obviously seen the V160 ratios could be improved and pretty much sorted them exactly as I would have liked. You won't hit the magical 200 anymore, but IMHO it would make for a better time getting there :D

Other benefits of V161 include pulling over 100 in 3rd & 130 in 4th (which I'm obviously well into) - this is all with my 285/30/18 tyres & 7200rpm limit

PPS according to Darryls spreadsheet even though the pre-post facelift diff is different it still has the same final drive, you'd need a UK diff to increase the top end there

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)