Jamesy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

James let Lee advise you mate.

:yeahthat:

Lee will see you right, you are just getting confused in this thread, keep it simple bud.

thanx guys...your absolutely bloody right!!

think i might start a new project thread with a clearer mind etc !!!!

Ive not seen them that cheap delivered.

They are about that (depending on exchange rate) from full race but you have delivery on top, $100-150 id guess.

£110 for delivery plus taxes(if you do it properly) plus you have to pay for a 3" v band to be installed, so it soon adds up.

what is the BL autobox like without the hi stall converter?

Exactly like a stock box but with firmer shifts.

unsure if a BL box MUST have a hi-stall or if you can run it without...will ask in technical help on that one.

Answered in tech - no it's not a requirement, you can run a stock stall if you wish.

if its any help to you. i have the GT35r (.82ar i think), PE 650`s and AEM standalone on stock cams.. made 492bhp at the fly, im 6speed

good luck with the build though

thank you mate - seems the bhp varies from 480odd right up to Mark's 572 on his VVti!

Hello mate just caught up with this thread so will try and add input on a few of your questions

The aem fic will work with the BL box BUT u will not be able to change when the stock ecu tells your box when to change gear, think its 6500 rpm. So having cams will be pointless as they won't even kick in. I'm having this problem now that's why were thinking of changing my aem fic for the solaris as my dyno graph is still on the up when its changes gear at 500 bhp and that's before cams and at 1 bar. That's y to get the most for MY build I need a different ecu for the full potential

The BL box doesn't need a high stall but you usually match the high stall to the turbo. The bigger the turbo the bigger the lag, so with the correct size high stall it will 'slip' the clutch to the right rpm so your turbo will be on boost to try and reduce lag so its really worth looking into

You sound just like I did when I started, mixed opinions, apparent rules you have to follow, best bet is to stick with lee and go with what he says! A lot of your questions I think I've started threads about in the past so could be worth a search. Your build isn't to differnt from mine so I will help where I can to save u going through the crap I did

They come in different stall speeds! I have 3800 for my big turbo, standard auto boxes have a 2800 I think but u can get a 3200! I would search high stall torque converters to understand them better as personally I think the correct size for your turbo will give u better performance to reduce lag and a quicker car in regards to gearing

Ryan I really dont agree on the pulling timing making the box last longer, either way its semantics with that much increase in Torque its a case of when not if the box lets go, unless its driven sensibly in which case why bother with the single upgrade, we have F-Cons on auto singles with no problems at all and my old car ran round at 1.4 bar flat out with the trac removed thumping in to gear for ages, as soon as the single went on the box gave up and a BL box went in, these gearboxes are still inherently weak compared to some that could go in and reliably run 6-800 hp.

I know for a fact that the stock ecu pulls back the timing and closes the trac butterfly slightly to reduce the levels of torque going through the box. This is done for a reason and was done with the stock levels of torque in mind. When you add a single turbo into the equalation which adds around 150ftlb more torque its only a matter of time before the sprag gear breaks on the box. You just said it your self above.... was fine on the hybrids and went single and look what happened.

If you want big power on a auto then TH400 or Powerglide..

Go on the AEM forum and type in Auto and well as auto and retard on supraforums!

Ryan