The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm going single turbo!!!

Jamesy

550rwhp on an auto, you got to be kidding!

550flywheel is going to be pushing it even with additional trans coolers and uprated TC.

Also, if you're planning for those power levels and can fund a standalone ECU a larger injector choice would be advisable in order to future proof.

To take full advatage of the turbo I have recommended him my BL box.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

550rwhp on an auto, you got to be kidding!

550flywheel is going to be pushing it even with additional trans coolers and uprated TC.

Also, if you're planning for those power levels and can fund a standalone ECU a larger injector choice would be advisable in order to future proof. 720cc or 800cc.

Thanx mate.

I just thought that as it was a small(ish) turbo it would produce around 500-550 fly hp. Which is also what i thought my box could just handle. With the coolers in place.

Was also told ryans new ecu package would work a treat??

Have i got my numbers wrong a bit??

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

Thanx mate.

I just thought that as it was a small(ish) turbo it woukd produce around 500-550 fly hp. Which is also what i thought my box could just handl. With the coolers in place.

Was also told ryans new ecu package eould work a treat??

Your numbers are ok mate,the reason I have 550 is not just the turbo but also more important ALL the support mods I.E large injectors uprated rods,twin fuel pumps,uprated box and TC etc.

If Lee told you your box will cope the all I can say he knows a hell of a lot more about Supras than me.

I just thought that as it was a small(ish) turbo it would produce around 500-550 fly hp. Which is also what i thought my box could just handle. With the coolers in place.

Was also told ryans new ecu package would work a treat??

Your numbers are right for flywheel, no worries there. I only mention it as there rwhp was mentioned earlier which is not realistic on this turbo or (especially) the stock auto box.

I'm not sure what the ecu package you mention is, but assume it's the Solaris S6 which is quite a bit of kit :thumbs: It's very worthwhile checking with Ryan first as last time I don't beleive he had cracked the auto box shift issues on that ECU yet.

You'll also ideally need to run a slightly higher TC with a small single.

Your numbers are right for flywheel, no worries there. I only mention it as there rwhp was mentioned earlier which is not realistic on this turbo or (especially) the stock auto box.

I'm not sure what the ecu package you mention is, but assume it's the Solaris S6 which is quite a bit of kit :thumbs: It's very worthwhile checking with Ryan first as last time I don't beleive he had cracked the auto box shift issues on that ECU yet.

You'll also ideally need to run a slightly higher TC with a small single.

Thanx again.

I only mentioned 550rwhp as suprahuman indicated thats what he has.... I didnt know that the gt35r could produce that.

So with the spec mentioned on page 1 that im going for (gt35r, 650cc, wastegate/screamer, ss manifold etc) am i looking at 550 fly hp?? :search:

im guessing that will then be just about ok with my box? Id love the other box so much but dont think i cant stretch to it :(

What is the TC you mention mate??

Good stuff, sounds like it's in hand then. The AEM FIC if that's what you refer to is going to limit you to 650cc's so future mods will be a bit limited, but they will be fine for 550 at the fly.

What is the TC you mention mate??

Torque convertor, it raises the 'bite' point of the box, essentially to help it stop bogging down on gear changes.

As mentioned by others, go with what Ryan and Lee P say, they've forgotten more than I know about single conversions :D

hello mate

u will enjoy it and congrats for taking the plunge

obviously ive just been through it and had a rough ride so if u need any help or info dont hesitate to ask or pm as i dont want any one going through what i went through!

im also on a auto so if u need advice with that....

even if u just need to know where is the best places to shop or what things u may need

firstly if ur after sard 650 high imp injectors i found nengunn was the cheapest place to get them from

secondly, i may have my aem fic for sale at the end of the month as i may be getting a solaris fitted. so if ryan cracks it and it works then mine will be for sale and i dont think its even been on there more than 2 months

Welcome to the world of the single conversion, it's a steep learning curve ;)

Yeah it appears so. And this is day 1.

I hope im up to it. The only thing that really threw me was thinking this turbo was circa 550rwhp when infact its 550fwhp.

thanx a lot dude. Remind me of your turbo again? You got 500odd at 1 bar i think i read?

Have u got the stock auto box?

Yeah def swaying towards the aem fic unit, think ryan sells tuem for £350 new but keep me posted. Seems like the most cost is fiting it and getting it mapped to the car/turbo!!!

Glad u got all sorted now mate and a mag feature to boot !!! ;)

hello mate

u will enjoy it and congrats for taking the plunge

obviously ive just been through it and had a rough ride so if u need any help or info dont hesitate to ask or pm as i dont want any one going through what i went through!

im also on a auto so if u need advice with that....

even if u just need to know where is the best places to shop or what things u may need

firstly if ur after sard 650 high imp injectors i found nengunn was the cheapest place to get them from

secondly, i may have my aem fic for sale at the end of the month as i may be getting a solaris fitted. so if ryan cracks it and it works then mine will be for sale and i dont think its even been on there more than 2 months

Yea listen to ryan and you won't go wrong, he supplied and fitted the aem for mine but I'm needing a lot more now to get the most out my build

I even updated my garage just now just for u to look at ;) lol

I have the borg warner 91 79 turbo, same as ryan actually, that alone will set u back nearly a grand! But it was well worth the money IMO

I have a boostlogic auto box and a 3800 high stall converter. 3800 is rather high but that's because of the size of the turbo! There was a box and stally for sale a week or so ago in a thread with loads of parts going! Def worth it if your goin through all this effort and cost but then can't use it because your box wil explode!!

Bit of advice too...don't always take advice on here as gosbel, do plenty of research, I spent hours goin through threads then when I got stuck I asked questions! Best way to learn! I was told one big cooler and a one fan will NOT keep the temps down in my gear box...well at the moment its perfect. Was also told the 3800 high stall was hard for every day driving, I don't see the problem? What suits one won't always suit another

Like I said I no first hand now and its fresh so I'm here to be fired questions at as I've had a lot of help from people on here

Ok thanx mate.

Im gonna speak to lee again tomoro to check over it all.

This is my daily driver so i think thays why we were swaying away from the BL box etc plus this turbo should just fall inside the limits of my box?!

M head hurts !!

While I was running my new engine in it was my daily driver and has been for 5 days since being mapped and it really isn't a problem!

There seems to be this false image of a aggresive undrivable car as soon as you mention BL or high stall! U can still trundle around doin 20 - 30 mph at very low revs like 2k with out it screaming at you!

The full slip effect of the high stall doesn't really come into effect until on full throttle!

If I ever come you way you more than welcome to come out in mine to see for your self! Don't be put off by others mate its very worth it! Just work out which high stall suits your turbo, but the hiigher you go the better cooling you will need

Edited by L33 (see edit history)

While I was running my new engine in it was my daily driver and has been for 5 days since being mapped and it really isn't a problem! There seems to be this false image of a aggresive undrivable car as soon as you mention BL or high stall! U can still trundle around doin 20 - 30 mph at very low revs like 2k with out it screaming at you! The full slip effect of the high stall doesn't really come into effect until on full throttle! If I ever come you way you more than welcome to come out in mine to see for your self! Don't be put off by others mate its very worth it! Just work out which high stall suits your turbo, but the hiigher you go the better cooling you will need

Very true indeed Lee, mine is a DD and with the BL box,higher stall converter and 264 cams it still drives around town like a stock TT. Very smooth and responsive.

Hi mate was advised that with the turbo choice the auto box i have will perform fine. If i need to i will though :)

Ah fair play :)

With a similar sort of setup I can vouch for it and have been running it for a while now with no slippage. I would say regularly check your oil though as sometimes changes from 2nd-3rd on wot start getting savage.

when I update the fuel system and remap to 1.6+ bar the slippage may be altogether a different situation.

Just speculating here as I run a lardy uk spec that probably puts more strain on the box. Had a full service at AFR though and they said old gearbox oil looked fine at the change.

Good luck finding traction :)

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

There we go mate that's 2 of us

A standard box will be at its limits around 500 bhp but has been done by lui! Think he has a standard stall but I no it started slippin on the dyno so I guess he is now limited to how hard he can push the car

It all depends on your budget as the BL box goes 2nd hand for 1500 then sometimes the person is selling the high stall with it if not its 500 from the states

Another thing I've learnt, if u choose the aem u can't change the standard gear change rev limit so there is no need to spend another 500 plus on a set of cams ;)