The mkiv Supra Owners Club

light weight supra

Guest George89

whats the weight of the n\a hardtop when it has no extra`s such as the aircon and that if we stripped it out and some how added extra horses we could be close to the nsx

Engine 2,977 cc (181.7 cu in) C30A V6 270 bhp (201 kW; 274 PS), 210 lb·ft (280 N·m)

Curb weight 2,950 lb (1,340 kg) (1991–1996)

which in my oppinion is a very cool car :D

The NSX is a totaly different animal.

For 1 its mid engined so its better balanced and very light for what it is. Doesnt matter how much weight you save on an NA.

It would run circles round you

I couldnt believe how good it felt on track when i drove 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yeah no doubt says supra is

Curb weight 1,460 kg (3,219 lb) (non-turbo)

Due to the strength of the stock non turbo engine, the 2JZ series 1994-1996 has remained a popular import platform for modification. The non-turbo cars were capable of going from 0-100 km/h in as few as 6.2 seconds and had 220 hp (164 kW; 223 PS) from the factory.

alot of money and modding to do then hey kids lol

what power to weight ratio would the n\a supra have to be to coe clost to the likes of the nsx or tt supra ? just in theory

NSX is circa 210 BHP /ton

N/A Supra MKIV is circa 150 BHP /ton

so for similar power to weight an N/A would need to gain 60 BHP and no weight.

Apples and oranges though, the MKIV can never be an NSX.

Not sure what you are asking then, sorry. Gain 60 BHP or lose about 950 pounds (432 kilos)

Then drop the C of G dramatically, mid engine it, reduce its frontal area dramatically, reduce the drag, massively reduce unsprung weight, reduce drive train inertia, blah blah. Just buy an NSX and pray it doesn't go wrong, I rebuilt an NSX engine years and years ago, parts were terrifyingly expensive, hard to get and info was scarce outside of main dealerships accredited to work on the things.

sorry why 432 kilos ? as i am a noob im still getting my head round this lol going of the info i found which i know could be rubbish it says :

Curb weight 2,950 lb (1,340 kg) (1991–1996) is the nsx weight

Curb weight 3,219 lb (1,460 kg) (non-turbo) is the supras weight

so thats 120 kg the supra is heavier by so to lose the 120kg and gain 45bhp as the n\a supra is 225bhp and the nsx is 270bhp and i think the torque is around the same 210 lb·ft (280 N·m) but im not sure

obviously you know alot more than me chris wilson but i like learning about these cars so your oppinion is greatly appreciated

Looking at the 270hp i would take that as the figures of the "gentlemans agreement" in Japan and wouldnt be surprised if it was closer the 320 mark i know the nsx-r's were

Then you have to take a look at the drive train losses afterall its WHP rather than FWHP you need to look at and then with the nsx mid engine layout its going to go off the line alot better than a FR layout supra.

sorry why 432 kilos ? as i am a noob im still getting my head round this lol going of the info i found which i know could be rubbish it says :

Curb weight 2,950 lb (1,340 kg) (1991–1996) is the nsx weight

Curb weight 3,219 lb (1,460 kg) (non-turbo) is the supras weight

so thats 120 kg the supra is heavier by so to lose the 120kg and gain 45bhp as the n\a supra is 225bhp and the nsx is 270bhp and i think the torque is around the same 210 lb·ft (280 N·m) but im not sure

obviously you know alot more than me chris wilson but i like learning about these cars so your oppinion is greatly appreciated

What Chris was getting at is that to have the n/a supra the same power to weight ratio as an nsx, you would need to loose 432kg whilst leaving the power stock.

wont shedding all this weight mean that you cant put the power down, and spin out and wreck the car due to it being unbalanced though?

i wonder this.

i remeber driving a striped out clio 182 and it was so light there was a distinkt lack of road holding. i think if you want to make a real light car that works hevy aero dynamic investment would be needed

wont shedding all this weight mean that you cant put the power down, and spin out and wreck the car due to it being unbalanced though?

No. Not at all. Tyre compound and width will need thinking about, as well as spring and damper rates. A gearbox two stroke kart has amazing grip, very limited aero, and is featherweight. No such thing as too light :)