fancy a supra but not sure.....

Amar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree:

Though if you are planning on ragging it around anywhere other than a track then I would not recommend a Supra. You will only endanger yourself & others on the road. :)

care to develop on that?

now that i made up my mind on the supra over the evo, you come in and scare me like that lol

care to develop on that?

now that i made up my mind on the supra over the evo, you come in and scare me like that lol

I think it's quite self explanatory with what he's saying.

The Supra, like the Evo, is a powerful machine.

Drive like a tit on public roads and you will probably die. What's worse is that others may die too.

I think that was the long and the short of it.

Hello mate,

Just to reiterate what some others have said, if you want power, no doubt about it save up a little more and get a decent TT.

Make sure its a well looked after one though, as there is more to go wrong with a TT then compared to an NA - so best to spend that little extra time and money getting your self a good'n. A cheap TT can sometimes (not always though!) be a bit of a false economy.

Cant go far wrong of checking the owners club classifieds in that sense - i mean for looked after motors, not false economies!!:p.

However Ive had an NA for the last 3 years and loved it to bits. Not as quick as my New TT [GRIN][/GRIN] but its still amazing fun to drive as the handling and response from a good NA is brilliant.

In some ways the Na can be more fun as they are still quick cars but alot more manageable around normal uk roads. Once you start modding (and of course you will if you get a TT..), its my view that you can only go so quick on the roads safely before you need to find a track to get the best out of these lovely machines.

Basically get a TT and dont drive it like a muppet.... But if you insist on getting a spectacular looking low mileage incredibly well loved and cared for Na.. mines also sitting in the classified section at the moment looking for a new home.;)

Hope the advice helps.

Jas

WOW! You guys really hate grammer mistakes don't you.

Sorry for the late replies, ive just come back from working out of town in Swindon.

As for thinking im some sort of clown who drives 'raand town' ragging my pride and joy around you'd be mistaken. Maybe its the way i came across in the post i chucked up in 5mins regarding the speed and power of my quatt but i dont drive like a muppet.

My liscence means alot to me, without it id be out of a job as im an electrician so i tend to be on the road alot.

i polished my car more then i actually drove it and when i did it was mainly only to Volkswagon/Audi - Group shows n meets.

Right so back to the supras, thanks for all the comments, the nice ones anyway :D so yeah im looking for a supra,not to drive around like a tw*t but becoz ive always loved the cars, the noise,power, shape, stance and yes, they are ripping machines and im not looking for a ripping machine..yet. just a well looked after, tidy n/a supra. i know they wont be as fast as the TT but oh well.

Surely they cant be as slow as some of you are making out, i understand that some modern day hot hatces would leave an N/A for dead at a set of lights but...its a supra...does it really matter?:)

That's better, it's amazing what a bit of grammer does to people's perceptions :)

The N/A's are great cars, I've had mine for 5 years, drive it every day and love it. As long as you know that there is very little you can do to increase the power (although handling & brakes can be improved), they can be very fun to drive and still pretty quick. If you think you'll be needing more power, then you'd be better off saving up for a TT from the outset.

You could always see if someone could give you a spin in their N/A to give you an idea of it's abilities.

Welcome aboard. :)

My old n/a was probably as quick as my girlfriend 1.7 ford puma, but like you say, its a supra.

If you're content with pottering about, with the odd backroad blast (yes, i have just realised what i wrote), then it will probably suffice. As you probably already know, power is pretty addictive; would you want to shell out for an n/a, only to realise that 6 months later you want more?

Could you post some pics of the 20v, sounds like its worth a gander

As you probably already know, power is pretty addictive; would you want to shell out for an n/a, only to realise that 6 months later you want more?

This was my thought. With the clio, after 5 months of driving it, I've started to think about putting a cammed 2.0 engine in it (rather than the standard 1.8 thats in it now) for another 20/30bhp.

May as well save up for a solid TT than getting an N/A a bit sooner.

WOW! You guys really hate grammer mistakes don't you.

Yes we do, I am 68 and when I was a little boy I got a spanking for a spelling mistake!

Although I do admit I enjoyed it as the teacher who gave me it had a lovely pair of knockers :D

Right back to the Supra... think you have most of your questions answered. Though now is the choice of what you will be after? I would recommend that if possible you go to a local Supra meet. Ask nicely and someone could take you out for a spin. This will give you a better idea of the Supra & help you make your decision.

Good luck Amar :)

something wrong with that car then :blink:

Not as far as i was aware; the sz's when new, were quoted a 6.5 sec 0-60 time. the puma's weren't massively off of this mark with 7.2 sec.

The power to weight ratios also come into play; I believe the SZ was around 135bhp/tonne, when it rolled out of the factory. the puma on the other hand, was around 125bhp/tonne.

Lets also remember that my old n/a was on a 94 plate; im sure a few of the horses had bolted by this stage!

No doubt the SZ would/will nail alot of hothatches top end, but it was the quick response and additional beef from the variable cams which gave the puma the edge. This was when i decided I needed a TT

Any one else care to add to this? Am I right in suggesting that a pissy hairdressers car is as quick as a SZ? Im not trying to rile up the n/a owners on this forum, im purely just stating that her ford puma was as quick as my toyota supra - which feels wrong in many ways!

Not as far as i was aware; the sz's when new, were quoted a 6.5 sec 0-60 time. the puma's weren't massively off of this mark with 7.2 sec.

The power to weight ratios also come into play; I believe the SZ was around 135bhp/tonne, when it rolled out of the factory. the puma on the other hand, was around 125bhp/tonne.

Lets also remember that my old n/a was on a 94 plate; im sure a few of the horses had bolted by this stage!

No doubt the SZ would/will nail alot of hothatches top end, but it was the quick response and additional beef from the variable cams which gave the puma the edge. This was when i decided I needed a TT

Any one else care to add to this? Am I right in suggesting that a pissy hairdressers car is as quick as a SZ? Im not trying to rile up the n/a owners on this forum, im purely just stating that her ford puma was as quick as my toyota supra - which feels wrong in many ways!

Never driven a NA so can't really comment, had driven a 1.7 Puma & never knew it would do 0-60mph on 7.2 Sec, I thought it was more 9 sec!

Edit:

Just looked it up on Parkers & the Standard (must have been the one I drove is 9.2 sec).

The one which your GF has could be the Puma Racing one which is 7.9 secs.

Though would have thought the NA was quicker, even if it did lose some ponies over the years.

When I met up with Rob_Boi at Southend his NA seemed to sprint off quite decently!

Edited by Abz
Went onto Parkers (see edit history)

Welcome to the club Amar. Before doing the NA-TT conversion I drove my NA everyday. Obviously it's not anywhere as quick as a TT but it's still fun to drive and certainly holds it's own again something such as an RX8 and most moddern day hot hatches. You would certainly enjoy it. A rear wheel drive car with approx 230bhp isn't too shabby:)

If it is the NA route you do decide to take I would recommend a manual version as the driving experiance is better.

However, as Animal said, if you are looking to modify it you really wont have any options on the engine front. Even as far as an induction kit as the stock box is better. There are some good exhausts about though and the odd tubular manifold.

Suspension and breaking though would be a way forward. The stock suspension isn't bad but improving the breaks isn't a bad idea. Braided lines, pads with more bite etc. A UK upgrade would be the best way forward. Suspension and breaking mods go down the line of better pace through the corners = faster car.

If you go down the TT route there are mods galore and both manual auto boxes are excellant. The auto is also good to around 500-600bhp.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure all the info you will ever need is on here. Oh, and the search button is your friend:)

Thanks guys. I would like to go to a local supra meet but im not sure how it wuld go down if i walked up to some random and asked for a quick spin? how much would you be looking at if at a later stage an n/a owner decided to do a TT conversion?

Thanks guys. I would like to go to a local supra meet but im not sure how it wuld go down if i walked up to some random and asked for a quick spin? how much would you be looking at if at a later stage an n/a owner decided to do a TT conversion?

Approximately 3-3.5k mate. That's why it makes sense to save a bit more up and get the TT to start with if that's what you want.

This http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=203991 is seriously under priced imo.

Welcome to the club. :)

You can but ask. :) We're all supra enthusiasts and many members would need very little encouragement to show someone else what their car can do. Even if you don't get a spin, you would some more honest opinions about how the NA and TT compare.

I ditto Animal's comments. I too have owned the same NA for several years, and love it. Top-end performance isn't my game and I knew that from the outset so I bought an NA. It's still quick and extremely fun to drive.